post #2371 of 2392 Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliBELL View Post
No it doesn't. I've been asking for this feature for 10 months, hopefully they'll do something about it before I sell it and buy the Altitude 32.
Too expensive for me for multichannel. Will only spend that much money on stereo. Foundation good enough for me for multichannel. Not planning to go for 32 speakers any time soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am researching processors. Has anyone directly compared the Foundation to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, or to the Krell Evolution 707 3d or the Krell S-1200 3D, or the Anthem D2V?
post #2373 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
I am researching processors. Has anyone directly compared the Foundation to the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, or to the Krell Evolution 707 3d or the Krell S-1200 3D, or the Anthem D2V?
Haven't compared directly but would be very surprised if Denon sound as good as the Foundation. The others are way more expensive. I'm prepared to bet lots of money that for the price you won't beat the Foundation!
post #2374 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 PM

Krell and Denon

I have never had the privilege of hearing any of these units. I do know that the Denon APV was not cheap and it was their flagship. It carried a retail price of $7,499 and it was $1,500 for the limited time that they offered the upgrade to 3-D and Audyssey XT32. The current owners of the Denon AVP appear to consider it amazing.

As far as the other Krell units I mentioned above, I ran across an ebay page that seemed to reflect that a used Evolution 707 3d sold for under $8k. That is a bit confusing though, because it also appears that the seller ended the auction early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
Haven't compared directly but would be very surprised if Denon sound as good as the Foundation. The others are way more expensive. I'm prepared to bet lots of money that for the price you won't beat the Foundation!
post #2375 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
There are some pro reviews that have compared the Foundation to the AVP-A1HD and to the anthem d2v. The one in particular said the Foundation made his AVP-A1HD sound like a truffle hound with hayfever. I don't know what a truffle hound is but I got the point. That review is what made me pull the trigger on the Foundation. It is on Krell's website I think. You will have to click on it I believe to read the full review. It might have been the same reviewer that said the Foundation reminded him of the d2v.
vvuuren likes this.
post #2376 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to krells website. Look at the Foundation page and click on the Home Cinema Choice review. I am reading it again right now. I am telling you though before you read it have someone hide your wallet. If not your in trouble.

In that review it states that the optical inputs can only handle 16 44.1. That has been changed with a big firmware update. It now does 24 192 through all its digital inputs.

Last edited by rhale64L7; 10-15-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #2377 of 2392 Old 10-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Their is also a great review in Heimkino magazine. Do a search in Google for Krell Foundation test in Heimkino magazine. I do it on my phone. You have to convert it to English as it is in German. That is a great review also.
post #2378 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 AM

Thank you!

Thank you very much for pointing me towards those reviews! Seeing the Denon AVP compared to a truffle hound was definitely eye-opening. It does seem that the D2V was well-praised as well. Interestingly, the same site that reviewed the Krell also was very complimentary of Marantz's former flagship pre/pro, the AV8801.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
There are some pro reviews that have compared the Foundation to the AVP-A1HD and to the anthem d2v. The one in particular said the Foundation made his AVP-A1HD sound like a truffle hound with hayfever. I don't know what a truffle hound is but I got the point. That review is what made me pull the trigger on the Foundation. It is on Krell's website I think. You will have to click on it I believe to read the full review. It might have been the same reviewer that said the Foundation reminded him of the d2v.

Quote:
Their is also a great review in Heimkino magazine. Do a search in Google for Krell Foundation test in Heimkino magazine. I do it on my phone. You have to convert it to English as it is in German. That is a great review also.
post #2379 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

That was interesting about the Denon. He must have liked it in its day. He owned it. It just didn't match what the newer Foundation could do. I often wondered if he bought the Foundation? It sounded like he wanted to. That would explain why Kal Rubinson had to wait so long for his review sample.

I have a feeling that Kal helped Krell along in adding a few critical features. Such as separate distance settings for left and right channel's. It was right after his review that the big firmware update was announced. Bill McKiegan had been to his place before to help with the Evolution 707.

Kal does your magazine have any plans of reviewing any of Krells new amps? I just read a review of the new duo 300 in a British mag. The guy sounded like he had a vendetta against Krell from the start of the review. It makes sense since the amp he was directly comparing it to was Dan D's new amp. And the preamp used was a Audio Research which looking at the numbers doesn't look like a good match to test that amp.

Last edited by rhale64L7; 10-16-2014 at 07:05 AM.
post #2380 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I owned the S1200/3D before the Foundation. The S1200 had somewhat better sound when utilizing a full analog playback chain via it's XLR or RCA inputs. The digital sound and processing flexibility of the Foundation are superior IMO. I have no regrets about the switch.

Krell just announced that a new amplifier is coming.....

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #2381 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I owned the S1200/3D before the Foundation. The S1200 had somewhat better sound when utilizing a full analog playback chain via it's XLR or RCA inputs. The digital sound and processing flexibility of the Foundation are superior IMO. I have no regrets about the switch.

Krell just announced that a new amplifier is coming.....

Lee
Great info. Where is the new amp announcement?
post #2382 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
That was interesting about the Denon. He must have liked it in its day. He owned it. It just didn't match what the newer Foundation could do. I often wondered if he bought the Foundation? It sounded like he wanted to. That would explain why Kal Rubinson had to wait so long for his review sample.
I doubt it.

Quote:
I have a feeling that Kal helped Krell along in adding a few critical features. Such as separate distance settings for left and right channel's. It was right after his review that the big firmware update was announced. Bill McKiegan had been to his place before to help with the Evolution 707.
I don't know but you are free to draw inferences.

Quote:
Kal does your magazine have any plans of reviewing any of Krells new amps?
I don't know.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2383 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks Kal
post #2384 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Krell's Facebook post had a teaser about a new amp coming.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #2385 of 2392 Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I see. I wonder if they waited to see how these new amps would do? I had seen someone mentioned a long time ago that the new amps that are out now wouldn't be there top model amps. In other words these ibias amps weren't to replace the Evolution amps. They had other amps they were working on to replace them. I am excited to know. I am sure I could never own one. Big $$$$ I am sure. Just want to know what they can do without you know who.
post #2386 of 2392 Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Yes I see. I wonder if they waited to see how these new amps would do? I had seen someone mentioned a long time ago that the new amps that are out now wouldn't be there top model amps. In other words these ibias amps weren't to replace the Evolution amps. They had other amps they were working on to replace them. I am excited to know. I am sure I could never own one. Big $$$$ I am sure. Just want to know what they can do without you know who.
Question about DSD over HDMI.

If Foundation converts DSD to PCM in order to apply room correction, what is the benefit / difference of DSD over HDMI compared to PCM over HDMI using room correction?
post #2387 of 2392 Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 76
rhale64L7 ,
I have Emotiva xpa 5 amplifier and I think it is not a good match for foundation or not enough for what foundation needs.
At some volume it gets shrilling and thin which is the indication of distortion.
I want to replace it with Chorus 5200 amp.
You have Krell Chorus 7200 amp. Do you recommend it?
I read that it is very thin irritation. Is that true?
Thanks.
post #2388 of 2392 Old 10-18-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
rhale64L7 ,
I have Emotiva xpa 5 amplifier and I think it is not a good match for foundation or not enough for what foundation needs.
At some volume it gets shrilling and thin which is the indication of distortion.
Thanks.
Mine is not shrill at all. When you first recieve it yes. But after a few days of continuous play it smooths out and becomes still detailed but not shrill.

Last night I listened to some redbook cd's I know very well. I hadnt listened with the Chorus yet. I have played these several times with my old halo. All I could say is wow. The music details that came through was unbelievable. It sounded like they were different cd's. There is stuff in the background I had never heard before. One thing I am noticing though is it likes to be warm to sound its best.
post #2389 of 2392 Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Question about DSD over HDMI.

If Foundation converts DSD to PCM in order to apply room correction, what is the benefit / difference of DSD over HDMI compared to PCM over HDMI using room correction?
The Foundation has three modes for dsd playback. I think none of them use ares room correction. Two of the modes use your crossover settings. One is stereo direct which doesn't use any crossover settings. The other is multichannel. The other is dsd stereo.
post #2390 of 2392 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post
rhale64L7 ,
Thanks.
I actually have an original MPS 1-7 channel that sounds great with it, but thats not to say it wouldnt sound better with a Chorus or somethign else. I am just using that combo for now until I find my next amp.
post #2391 of 2392 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Mine is not shrill at all. When you first recieve it yes. But after a few days of continuous play it smooths out and becomes still detailed but not shrill.

Last night I listened to some redbook cd's I know very well. I hadnt listened with the Chorus yet. I have played these several times with my old halo. All I could say is wow. The music details that came through was unbelievable. It sounded like they were different cd's. There is stuff in the background I had never heard before. One thing I am noticing though is it likes to be warm to sound its best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
I actually have an original MPS 1-7 channel that sounds great with it, but thats not to say it wouldnt sound better with a Chorus or somethign else. I am just using that combo for now until I find my next amp.
Thanks.
post #2392 of 2392 Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I am reading on the ibias amps that when they run out of power they do sound shrill. See they should never run out of power on me. I have 2 way stand moniters 8 ohm and about 89db sensitive. My speaker wire runs would be the only cause for concern. They are a bit over 12 gauge but are approximately 35 feet in length. That doesn't seem to be causing a problem either.

I will say that it gets warm regardless of what they say. But it also sounds much better when at that temperature. I am definitely hearing things I have never heard before.

I don't like a very detailed amp. I hated the Citation amp I once owned. I didn't like my Carver m 1.0t for its lack of detail. My old Adcom 545 sounded much worse than this Chorus. I liked my halo amps and thought I would never give them up but they actually started to sound bland when compared to the Chorus.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page