82Likes
post #2611 of 2651 Unread 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
I will look here in a bit. I am sure it is just user error. I think I put video on whatever hdmi it is on the second input. Instead of none. Because sometimes I want to see the gracenote loookup. Or see the signal on the screen of what is playing.

I know that you have to select what hdmi you are using though. It won't figure it out for you.
Thanks. For SACD, I don't need the screen (nothing is displayed anyway) so was hoping to be able to use it without.

Quote:
Ok I looked on mine. You select what hdmi input it is for video. Then select hdmi for audio.
That's what I figured. It seems odd that you can't choose a specific HDMI input for audio given that you can choose a specific analogue input (S1 to S4) or balanced.

I'll see if I can email Krell about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2651 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You don't have to use the screen. I think you sre just telling the Foundation where to look for the signal. And for some reason if you select hdmi you can't select anything else for audio.
post #2613 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been evaluating the Foundation for the last two days and I have to agree that it is the best sounding AVP under 10K. After going through few processors (anthem, halcro, Lexicon MC12B), I settled on Cary cinema 11A in 2008. I briefly auditioned krell 1000 and Classe SSP 800 but did not see a noticeable difference for the extra cost.

Setting up Foundation was very similar to Cary cinema 11a. Both have no video processing, included room EQ set up is frustrating.

I also purchased Marantz AV 7702 few weeks ago and it blew me away with its spectacular surround processing when using it for lossless blu-ray tracks. I never thought any other processor will beat it at least in that aspect, but I am pleasantly surprised by the Foundation. It definitely sounds better for 2 channel audio and also has a slight edge while playing Blu-ray audio.

I listen to music most of the time and watch TV shows more than the Blu-ray movies (except to demo with friends) so Foundation suits me well. I use a single HDMI cable to feed the unit from my HTPC and I have no other sources.

I never had a chance to audition Cary cinema 12 but, both Krell and Marantz have superior multi-channel processing compared to Cary cinema 11a.
All these units show "DTSHDMA" on the screen but what a difference when it comes to the final presentation!

For 2 channel music I like Cary 11a the best among these units especially for mix of old/new recordings.

If someone wants to use a AVP for predominant movie viewing, I recommend buying Marantz AV 7702 which is a lot cheaper. I still can't believe how they pulled it off, as it sonically comes so close to Foundation and I wouldn't have known the difference unless I did A/B comparison between both. Also it has Atmos if someone wants to experiment with it.

I never had a positive experience with Atmos speakers in my HT set up. Adding the extra speakers seem to decrease my front sound stage which is usually quite explosive and three dimensional from Martin Logans. I still believe 5.1 set up is the best especially with all large speakers. For small multiple speakers, Atmos seems to be more effective.

I was very close to ordering Theta CB IV but Foundation changed my mind for now. May be after few years!!!!!

P
vvuuren likes this.
post #2614 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 11:03 AM

How do you access Krell Music Surround Modes (General admission/party etc.,)??

P
post #2615 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrudy View Post
How do you access Krell Music Surround Modes (General admission/party etc.,)??

P
I use my iPad. Just click on Audio Mode.
post #2616 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post
I use my iPad. Just click on Audio Mode.
So, I can't use the Krell remote for those modes?
post #2617 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM

I am on the IPaddress web page controls. When I click on audio mode, I see only PLII music/movie. No krell specific sound modes. Is it dependent on a certain speaker set up??
post #2618 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrudy View Post
I am on the IPaddress web page controls. When I click on audio mode, I see only PLII music/movie. No krell specific sound modes. Is it dependent on a certain speaker set up??
I think it only works on stereo and not on multichannel but I might be mistaken.
post #2619 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

You can do it from the remote control. I just can't remember where. I haven't even unpacked my Krell remote. I do it through my harmony one. You can do it with the front panel buttons also. We need to get you guys set up properly.
post #2620 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
There is a button on the Krell Foundation remote that is above the volume control area and to the right named "Mode". You may scroll through the available options by using it and the up/down & select buttons.

Krell is awaiting an order of one essential part from a vendor which is necessary for the 4K units (both new & upgrade). Promised delivery and actual delivery are two different things, but those of us who are waiting now know what is causing the delay. Although frustrating, a couple weeks or so will be worth it. I'm sure that the company is more frustrated, as they must field calls and emails from each one of us.....

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #2621 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You don't have to use the screen. I think you sre just telling the Foundation where to look for the signal. And for some reason if you select hdmi you can't select anything else for audio.
I got a reply from Krell as follows:

Quote:
It is a little odd in the way it works, but not really when you consider it’s HDMI. To get audio from HDMI, the input selected (in this case, CD) must also have the Video of the desired audio input also selected, even if the device is not outputting or wanted for video. This is because in HDMI, a signal related to audio is carried on in video part of HDMI. Plus some SACD players will have a splash screen with track info etc. This is how the Foundation determines which HDMI input to get HDMI audio from. If there is no video signal present, it will display nothing or a blue screen. In this case, you would have input "CD" set up the same as BD1, Video: HDMI1 and Audio: HDMI. Hope this helps!
So, in a nutshell, I have to select a video input even if not using the screen. The next challenge will be to see if the TV being off prevents the HDMI handshake from occurring and hence blocks the audio. Something to try tonight after work.
post #2622 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

No that won't cause a problem. The only time you will lose audio and it will just be brief is if you turn the tv on or off while listening to music. There is a very brief cutout while it all establishes a new handshake.
Orange_GT3 likes this.
post #2623 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Also you can have no eq on the cd source and eq on the video source. This is why their is 3 memories. I use eq for movies and no eq for music
post #2624 of 2651 Unread 12-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Also you can have no eq on the cd source and eq on the video source. This is why their is 3 memories. I use eq for movies and no eq for music
Yes, I was thinking of doing something similar, thanks.

I've only set up ARES once so far, using Full Range. I'm going to run the 250Hz and 125Hz sweeps too and save those to different memories so I can do some listening tests.
post #2625 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
You can do it from the remote control. I just can't remember where. I haven't even unpacked my Krell remote. I do it through my harmony one. You can do it with the front panel buttons also. We need to get you guys set up properly.
Hi again. I notice you are using a Harmony remote too. I have the Touch and so far I can't get the Foundation to switch to the correct input after powering on. All my activities are set up correctly and I have even introduced a 5 second delay between power on and the input command but it still doesn't work. Pressing the 'Help' button on the remote sends the input command again and the Foundation switches inputs straight away. Also, changing activities whilst powered on works fine too, so it is just the initial selection of an input immediately after power on that is the problem. Did you experience anything like that when setting up your Harmony?
post #2626 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 12:43 AM

Web interface

Bit of a general comment, but was anybody else surprised by how basic the web interface was?

I must admit I was expecting to have access to the full suite of menu options not just the single, basic screen offered.

Has anyone suggested to Krell that they expand the web interface?
post #2627 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_GT3 View Post
Bit of a general comment, but was anybody else surprised by how basic the web interface was?

I must admit I was expecting to have access to the full suite of menu options not just the single, basic screen offered.

Has anyone suggested to Krell that they expand the web interface?
OK, ignore this one folks. Have just discovered that I can access the entire menu system through the web interface. Not sure how I missed that !
post #2628 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi again. I notice you are using a Harmony remote too. I have the Touch and so far I can't get the Foundation to switch to the correct input after powering on. All my activities are set up correctly and I have even introduced a 5 second delay between power on and the input command but it still doesn't work. Pressing the 'Help' button on the remote sends the input command again and the Foundation switches inputs straight away. Also, changing activities whilst powered on works fine too, so it is just the initial selection of an input immediately after power on that is the problem. Did you experience anything like that when setting up your Harmony?
No I didn't and I had to set mine up manually. I only had one problem. While changing anything such as volume the timimg was wrong so I had to raise it or lower it. I can't remember which it was. But other than that if I push say watch blueray it automatically starts up on that input.
post #2629 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, ignore this one folks. Have just discovered that I can access the entire menu system through the web interface. Not sure how I missed that !
I just use my harmony to control everything. I find the web interface clunky. And very old looking. I love my harmony remote.
post #2630 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 08:58 AM

I still can't find any of the Krell music modes (party etc.,) in my unit when I press the "mode" button. I guess they work only when the unit senses 2 channel PCM signal.
When I play my iTunes music via HTPC, somehow the display shows 5.1 PCM.
I will change my PC sound card HDMI settings to stereo and see if Krell modes work, later tonight.

Is there a way to turn off the large blue glow in the front of the unit? It is distracting when using the projector and I am thinking of electrician tape.

P

Last edited by peterrudy; 12-18-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #2631 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it needs to be 2 channel pcm source. And the only 1 I like is Fullrange + sub. The rest to me sound awful.

No way to shut off the blue light. I guess it would be distracting if it were in the front of the room.
post #2632 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No I didn't and I had to set mine up manually. I only had one problem. While changing anything such as volume the timimg was wrong so I had to raise it or lower it. I can't remember which it was. But other than that if I push say watch blueray it automatically starts up on that input.
Hmmm, OK. I must be doing something wrong then.

I also made the adjustment for volume control. I had to slow it down a bit and now it is perfect.
post #2633 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I just use my harmony to control everything. I find the web interface clunky. And very old looking. I love my harmony remote.
Agreed, the web interface could do with some improvement, but it is useful when the Harmony is plugged into the PC and I am updating it and changing the setup of the Foundation at the same time.

I would have though they could display the main page and all the main menu options as a series of tabs on a web page with better formatting. The way it interfaces with the Foundation wouldn't change, it's just a style sheet really.
post #2634 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Agreed, the web interface could do with some improvement, but it is useful when the Harmony is plugged into the PC and I am updating it and changing the setup of the Foundation at the same time.

I would have though they could display the main page and all the main menu options as a series of tabs on a web page with better formatting. The way it interfaces with the Foundation wouldn't change, it's just a style sheet really.
Yes thats what I mean.
post #2635 of 2651 Unread 12-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
There is a button on the Krell Foundation remote that is above the volume control area and to the right named "Mode". You may scroll through the available options by using it and the up/down & select buttons.

Krell is awaiting an order of one essential part from a vendor which is necessary for the 4K units (both new & upgrade). Promised delivery and actual delivery are two different things, but those of us who are waiting now know what is causing the delay. Although frustrating, a couple weeks or so will be worth it. I'm sure that the company is more frustrated, as they must field calls and emails from each one of us.....

Lee
Yes, that was what I understood as well. I am really missing my unit though. Tons of new Blurays and FLAC files waiting to be enjoyed.
post #2636 of 2651 Unread 12-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Really on the web services GUI? I do this daily (I am private contractor that works on interfacing applications) and I find that its layed out very simply which is the best way to handle it for ALL users. Simpler the better. You can do anything you need from it so no need to have more than a single page.

My remote is still in the box, never used it.
vvuuren likes this.

Last edited by scpanel; 12-19-2014 at 09:40 PM.
post #2637 of 2651 Unread 12-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpanel View Post
Really on the web services GUI? I do this daily (I am private contractor that works on interfacing applications) and I find that its layed out very simply which is the best way to handle it for ALL users. Simpler the better. You can do anything you need from it so no need to have more than a single page.
Except for that fact that it doesn't actually work properly. When changing input setup, for example, it sometimes incorrectly displays the available choices such as 0, 1, 2, 3, etc instead of None, HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.

The main page is fine, but the Menu overlay is clunky and a bit buggy.
post #2638 of 2651 Unread 12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
Yes, that was what I understood as well. I am really missing my unit though. Tons of new Blurays and FLAC files waiting to be enjoyed.
I can't wait for you to be able to play them files. Tou better have some dsd files and sacd's to play too.
post #2639 of 2651 Unread 12-20-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can I send the SACD (Oppo) to Foundation via HDMI (Audio) and send computer visualization via another HDMI (Video)? Basically I'd like to use one source with two HDMI, is it possible?
post #2640 of 2651 Unread 12-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsetliff View Post
I haven't had multichannel since end June because my Krell Mono amp has to go in for repair also so when I was told the upgrade would be in Sept I decided to send them back together to save on shipping from Canada. I keep buying Bluray Audio discs, SACD's etc which are all still sealed and waiting to be played! Needless to say that I'm getting very frustrated at waiting for the upgrade and regret my decision to send them back together. At least I rigged my system for stereo so have been able to listen to HD downloads.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier