Trouble getting ARC to work on Yamaha RX-V671 & Vizio M551d-A2R - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy all! This is my first time here as a poster to these forums, but I've been lurking for a bit! I'm hoping you guys can help me out, for the life of me I can get the Audio Return Channel to function between my TV and my Receiver.

My setup for testing is extremely simple... As mentioned in the title, I have a Vizio M551d-A2R purchased brand new from Best Buy a week ago. I also just purchased a Yamaha RX-V671 brand new. I even upgraded my cables to make sure I purchased one that supported ARC, even though my current cable supports 3D without issue.

I have the HDMI1 (ARC) input from my Vizio connected to the OUTPUT (ARC) on the Yamaha, and no matter what I do, I can't get the SmartTV apps on the Vizio to send sound to the receiver.

Initially I thought it would just work, but did some digging online and saw that I needed to enable HDMI Control (and ARC) on the Yamaha for AV4, and I believe I've done that correctly. I can't find any related settings to ARC on the Vizio.

I really need to get this to work, as one of my prime reasons for this purchase was to use Netflix and Hulu Plus via the TV & Receiver. I just don't know where to look next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I gave up trying to use arc with my A720 and Panny plasma. Just use an optical cable.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I thought of that, but for some reason, the Netflix app works fine with an optical cable, but the Hulu App doesn't for some reason... it's bizarre.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

I thought of that, but for some reason, the Netflix app works fine with an optical cable, but the Hulu App doesn't for some reason... it's bizarre.
Most new TV's still downmix the optical out to stereo from hdmi inputs. Home theater magazine has exposed this situation. The tv probably has an arc on/off setting just like the receiver.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting...

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to call Vizio support, but it might be the quickest way... I'll keep everyone posted.
post #6 of 26 Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyFergus View Post

I found a Vizio TV Model VL370M in the trash and I am having a tough time trying to get it to work

Not sure why you decided to post this sarcastic and useless reply.

This is the top of the line Vizio model and was purchased brand new. I understand that it's not a Sony, but for the price point, this television has been more than worth it. This Television works perfectly with the exception of ARC...

So... thanks for the sarcasm and useless help.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok... So there is a CEC function on the Television, it's "hidden" under System settings and none of the manuals indicate you need to go here. In fact the Vizio documentation indicates that "all you need to do to get ARC to function is connect the ARC port in the HDTV to the ARC port on your other component and everything will auto-configure"... SO thats ********...

Now I need to figure out how to get the device power all sorted out in my Harmony remote so that I can get it to work reliably... Apparently there are issues if both devices get sent power signals... I'm thinking that I need the TV powered on by the Receiver.

Going to try all that config now... The problem I'm now faced with is that I can go through the setup on the TV, but as soon as I power-cycle everything, nothing works again and I need to go back in and disable/re-enable everything in the setup... so that's a huge pain in the ass... If the Optical Input channel will work any better I might just say F the whole thing and use that. It's just annoying.

I'll keep ya posted.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Most of the Vizio displays are assembled by LG...
Unfortunately...
And the LG displays are not HDMI certified so their CEC operation including ARC may or may not work properly..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #9 of 26 Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

JS After my last post I researched the back of your receiver and downloaded that tv manual.
I 100% confirm what you found. I saw that CEC, but no arc switch. Frankly I am not impressed
if Vizio won't save setup options? The big picture is tv's are good for one thing. Displaying video.

The rest is a compromise. I would get a cheap video player/streamer (Blu-ray?) that does Netflix
and hulu and hdmi that to the a/v receiver.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

JS After my last post I researched the back of your receiver and downloaded that tv manual.
I 100% confirm what you found. I saw that CEC, but no arc switch. Frankly I am not impressed
if Vizio won't save setup options? The big picture is tv's are good for one thing. Displaying video.

The rest is a compromise. I would get a cheap video player/streamer (Blu-ray?) that does Netflix
and hulu and hdmi that to the a/v receiver.

Kikkenit2 - That's unfortunately what I'm finding out... My last effort tonight after work is going to be to attempt to test using the Optical Audio cable and see if that works reliably. One thing to note is that if I use the smart control features (i.e. allow the TV to turn on the receiver), I can get most of the way there... After about 20 seconds (which is a show stopper), the receiver will auto-power on from the TVs signal, and the speakers will be connected via ARC... The only issue here (besides waiting 20 seconds, which seems like a LIFETIME), is that as soon as the speakers connect, the TV changes the input on my receiver to AV3 (which is incorrect) and I have to manually change it back to AV4... Now I know I can use my harmony to overcome most of this, but by the time all the pauses, and macros, etc are configured in the harmony, I could have just gotten my laptop and jacked it into the front of the receiver and used it to play the youtube video I wanted... LOL.

So, tonight I'm doing a last ditch effort to use the Optical Audio cable to the AV4 input and see if that works reliably. If it does, I'll likely stick with that. If it doesn't, I think I'm going to have to figure out how to make my PS3 work with Hulu Plus and Youtube... Which as I'm reading more reviews about, MIGHT just be the way to go anyway... It looks like the PS3 has finally gotten itself together when it comes to online media.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. Hope the second opinion helped some.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

OK. Hope the second opinion helped some.

It certainly did... I'm so close to getting my dream home theater setup, I can taste it.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 AM

Did you ever get this working? I bought the same model Vizio last month. Love it so far. I am trying to do ARC to my Onkyo TX-NR616. The pairing seems to work, on screen when you adjust the volume it shows it as "device volume" and both remotes control the receiver's volume. Only trouble is, no sound is coming out from the speakers.
post #14 of 26 Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxd20 View Post

Did you ever get this working? I bought the same model Vizio last month. Love it so far. I am trying to do ARC to my Onkyo TX-NR616. The pairing seems to work, on screen when you adjust the volume it shows it as "device volume" and both remotes control the receiver's volume. Only trouble is, no sound is coming out from the speakers.

Unfortunately I did not. I tried every combination of configuration setting and cable paring I could to try to solve it. In the end, I disabled it, and I use the smart features of my Playstation 3. ARC is a great concept, but, from my experience, it's been terribly executed.
post #15 of 26 Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM

Did you ever get ARC working? Same problem with M series and my Yamaha receiver. Worked prefect with a Sony set. If tv turns off, I have to turn CEC off and on again to make audio work again. Sucks.
post #16 of 26 Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM

I have the same problem. I have a Yamaha RX-V475 and a Vizio M701D, along with a DVR unit, Xbox360 and HDMI Toshiba Laptop. I cannot get ARC and CEC working properly. I only need to use the Audio Return Channel so my Vizio Apps can feed sound to the receiver. It seems like an impossible task. HDMI control is pretty useless if you have a Harmony remote already. I only need ARC.

I got the sound working by turning ARC on the Vizio off and then on, however once I power cycle the system sound is gone. I need to turn ARC on and OFF again. One thing I do notice is when I turn ARC off it toggles my TV speakers to on even though they are set to off. Once ARC kicks in the speakers turn off and the receivers starts to work. Really strange. Everything else works sound wise except for the Vizio Smart Apps using ARC.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Howdy all! I really wish I had better news, but to be honest I never got it to work. In the end, I just ended up using my playstation 3.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyv View Post

I have the same problem. I have a Yamaha RX-V475 and a Vizio M701D, along with a DVR unit, Xbox360 and HDMI Toshiba Laptop. I cannot get ARC and CEC working properly. I only need to use the Audio Return Channel so my Vizio Apps can feed sound to the receiver. It seems like an impossible task. HDMI control is pretty useless if you have a Harmony remote already. I only need ARC.

I got the sound working by turning ARC on the Vizio off and then on, however once I power cycle the system sound is gone. I need to turn ARC on and OFF again. One thing I do notice is when I turn ARC off it toggles my TV speakers to on even though they are set to off. Once ARC kicks in the speakers turn off and the receivers starts to work. Really strange. Everything else works sound wise except for the Vizio Smart Apps using ARC.
I had a similar issue and did some testing. I'm not sure which device is to blame, but basically it is configured like this:

TV (M601d-A3R):
CEC Function Enabled, System Audio Control On.

Receiver (RXV567):
ARC Enabled

If the TV input is on a connection that uses ARC when turned off (CATV or RCA) then when powered on it continues to work. If it is powered on when an HDMI devices is selected (or powered on via CEC by the HDMI device) then ARC will is not working. Turning System Audio Control off and back on will also fix the sound. I also notice the TV will not automatically switch the receiver when using the smart TV apps.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked: 11

J sylviA007

I have a vizio tv and yamaha receiver and the way I got arc to work was to activate the CEC on the TV and then under the CEC selection Ihad it auto discover devices and it found the receiver connected to HDMI 1.  The ARC  started working.  Good Luck.

jesup likes this.
post #20 of 26 Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 PM

I went through Vizio and Yamaha support after reading the thread. I got the expected from each company blaming the other's product as possessing the "missing piece" to get the ARC to handshake. I changed HDMI cables from a brand new HDMI high speed to an old raggedy 7year old one, and did the Yamaha rx v673 AVR HDMI control toggle to turn off, then on again and voila... sound from my Vizio m801d a3 via ARC on TV apps like Netflix and Amazon. Once I turned everything off and tried again, could not hear TV apps sound by ARC unless again went to Yamaha settings and turned off then on again. Kept CEC and ARC enabled on both. Concern now is, if I do an optical cable to avoid this shuffle, that the auto toggle of inputs others report will still follow me. I can do TV apps through the blu ray but the 3Dgo for 3D content is only with the Vizio apps. My low level Harmony 650 might be up to a macro that power toggles HDMI and ARC when choosing TV apps.

post #21 of 26 Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSylvia007 View Post

Howdy all! I really wish I had better news, but to be honest I never got it to work. In the end, I just ended up using my playstation 3.

I recently purchased a new Yamaha receiver, and had the same frustrating problem. I got stuck trying to activate the "standby through" along with the CEC and the ARC. The manual did me no favors. I just couldn't go to the next step without getting this feature setup first. I was stuck in this position for about a week. LOL. I finally got it to work after many attempts. The TV and the receiver both needed to "be told" what to do. I know that you can get this to work. I thought about the optical connection also, but when I connected this new gear, It was important to me to scrap as many cables as possible, ending up with just a few HDMI cables, and this is what you want. Keep trying. I do remember something in the manual stating that if you can't get it to work, turn the power off and back on (on the receiver and TV) in different sequences to activate.

Espo77
post #22 of 26 Old 01-26-2014, 06:23 PM

I have a RX-V6750 (aka V675 from Costco) and a Vizeo M701 TV. It was confusing why ARC wasn't working; I did enable it on both sides, but the missing piece was that you have to select AV4 on the Yamaha! I swear I never saw that in the manual... Should have been in bold print at the top of the ARC info.

-- Randell
post #23 of 26 Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesup View Post

I have a RX-V6750 (aka V675 from Costco) and a Vizeo M701 TV. It was confusing why ARC wasn't working; I did enable it on both sides, but the missing piece was that you have to select AV4 on the Yamaha! I swear I never saw that in the manual... Should have been in bold print at the top of the ARC info.

Oh Boy!! Well ain't we all in a pickle. LOL I have the m651d-A2R and a Yamaha RX-A1000. This situation has BAFFLED me to the point of losing sleep at night. BUT I GOT IT WORKING!! The CRC is the trick but getting it to Stick is problem. This freaking TV has a mind of its' own and it's F***G STUPID.

I can't say this is the END ALL Solution for everyone. I was clicking so many buttons from 3 remotes that I .... well ... y'all know .. WAS GOING OUT OF MY MIND eek.gif
This is not a step by step. It's just a check list. Well it's the step by step how I did it. But I don't think you have to do this Step by Step.

1. Enable CRC and Control to 'ON' then Discover Devices. For me that is RX-A1000 and Dish Hopper
2. On your Reciever, Go to setup-HDMI-ARC-ON / Control-On / ARC-Audio 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 it doesn't matter(I set mine to Audio 1(Default)
3. On your Reciever, Go to setup-Audio-Under Audio X, Audio 1 for me, make sure both the check boxes under that profile are set to NONE.
4. Exit out of the On Screen
5. Set your TV on your primary Setting, Scene 2 for me(Dish Video/Audio) via HDMI
6. On your TV. Menu-Setup-Devices-HDMI 1(The ARC). Set it to the Default settings. Don't name the input. If you need to let the Wizard do it's thing, I think that works to.

7. Using the TV Remote: Press the input button and you should see a drop down with your "Receiver Name" and HDMI 1 Input Source(For me it shows multiple INPUTS two of which are RX-A1000 & Dish Hopper). Select your Reciever and nothing should change; but, your Receiver may flash your current AV Setting. For me it Flashes AV 2 and shows on the TV screen.

Start any APP w/ sound on. I found it works best if you press the Vizio button and select an App instead of pressing the App Hot Key buttons at the top of the remote.
Once the App has started, Change the input source on the Reciever to "Audio X" for me Audio 1 and Walaa ARC is working.

Now don't get curious and go poking around and screw it all up. It works, leave it alone( I screwed mine up again).

Cons:
Every time you turn the TV on its going to Turn you AV Receiver and HDMI Source ON/OFF and set the Audio input to Audio 1 on the receiver.
Remedy:a. Make sure both the AV Receiver and HDMI 1 source are off before turning on the TV or the 3 will be out of sync.
b. Using the TV remote, Repeat step 7.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM

I kind of have had the opposite issue with a Vizio 701d and marantz sr6008. I wanted ARC to work so that the Vizio apps would feed sound back to the receiver inseatd of suign TV speakers since I have them off. It works all the time but when ever i use my cable box to watch TV, the sound that the receiver feeds to the TV, then returns to the Receiver via ARC and toggles the input on the receiver to "TV audio" instead of leaving it on the cable input (hdmi). I am forced to keep switching it from TV Audio back to the Cable input in order to watch cable TV.

When I first was playing with ARC and the Vizio apps on the TV I couldn't get it to work. When the cable box/vizio forced the Receiver to "TV audio" it allowed me to discover the receiver had a special input selection for ARC called "TV Audio". Maybe the yamahas have a similiar selection for TV Audio?
post #25 of 26 Old 05-11-2014, 02:03 PM

I had a similar problem with the same TV and a Sharp Sound Bar.

Step 1: Ensure you have a HDMI 1.4 compliant cable going from the sound bar to the TV. 1.4 has ARC, 1.3 does not. They are very similar cables in every other respect.

Step 2: Hit Menu -> System -> CEC. Enable CEC Function, System Audio Control, and then select Device Discovery. It should say Audio System. Exit Out.

Step 3: Hit Menu -> Devices. If there isn't a Sound Bar, select Add Device. Brand is Sharp. Get Model as close as possible. Simply select the first option for remote code its not important. Exit Out.

Step 4: Hit Menu -> Audio. Diable TV Speakers and Surround Sound if on.  Volume Control to External. Digital Audio Out to Bitstream. Analog Audio Out to Fixed. Exit Out.

So CEC settings, Sound Bar as a Device, and you should be setup for the most important step. Actually having it play to the ARC. In my case.. I was attempting to run a video off a USB Flash Drive and have the sound projected to the speaker system. Perform these steps every time you go to watch something.

Step 1: Start the video.

Step 2: Change the source of the sound bar to ARC. If the Sound Bar is already on ARC, cycle through the sources until you get back to ARC. This seems to be the secret sauce, as it will reinitialize the connection or whatever the heck it does.

Step 3: Turn the volume up and down. Both the TV and Sound Bar volumes should allready be in tandem, and you should now be getting sound.

Its a pain, I know.. but after a couple hours of trying everything... the above was the only thing that finally got sound to play and the second set of steps have to be done every time. I would highly suggest that those devices you can put to the speaker bar inputs rather than the TV so you don't have to use the ARC, you do so.

post #26 of 26 Old 05-11-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Negative on step 1. There's no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable. HDMI versions refer to the equipment at both ends of the cable, not to cables themselves. Any cable will work for ARC, provided both devices support that feature.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V671 Receiver , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - V671 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page