Upgrade Recommendations for my old audio setup from the early 2000's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm brand new to AVS. I'm looking for some upgrade recommendations for my old audio setup from the early 2000's. I bought all of the stuff right after high school and used it through college and upgraded some components along the way for home theater. To make a long story short I sold off some of the larger components (including a really nice Polk Center Channel) when I got married and am now left with some bookshelf speakers, the receiver, and a sub woofer that I recently dug up from storage for my new home office/man cave for my computer/listening room. It's a pretty small room so it doesn't take much volume to fill it. This will be used for music, not home theater surround sound.

Here's what I'm left with and what I'm currently running. It's not all that bad. It beats the Logitech 2.1 computer speakers I was using before I dug these out again but I'd really like to get something even better that I could built piece by piece on a budget and really enjoy.

Receiver:
Kenwood VR-507

Speakers:
Front L/R: Cerwin Vega LS-5 Bookshelfs
Center: A single Bose Cube (used for the kenwood surround modes like "Statium" usually to add a bit of depth when listening to music). I'm not really impressed with it or attached to it but it fills the need right now.
Sub: Yamaha 40w powered sub left over from a home theater kit (The Sub does help make up for the lack of bass in the bookshelf speakers and although it isn't booming it does just enough to cover the range)

So my question at this point is if I had about $150-$200 would my money be better spend on a receiver upgrade (Onkyo, Denon maybe?) or better bookshelf speakers. I have to stick with bookshelf speakers due to the space I have available.

I was looking at the Polk Tsi100's as a possible option but then I saw that they have a biamp post option and started to wonder if I should think about getting a new amp that offers this option as well if it would make that much difference. (looks like it's only an option on 7.1 receivers)?

I was also looking at the BIC America DV62si as a possible good budget option that may be an upgrade from my CV's?

If I get new bookshelf speakers I could move my CV's to surround speakers just for added depth maybe.

I don't have very much money to work with. I usually have to put a little bit of money aside each month to save up for these kinds of things so I want to make sure I make a good decision when I shop for things like this. I'm always looking for the best option for the price that I can afford and used if possible.

What do you all think? Receiver or speakers first? Would a better receiver drive the CV's I already have much better or is the receiver not too bad and I'd be better to upgrade the speakers first?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Speakers and room acoustics are what make any audio system perform. Everything else is.....well, everything else...and not very important. So there you go. Work on speakers and room acoustics.
belzo likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Better speakers will always give you the most bang for the buck in any situation .
Its always better to save up more money and get what you really want (saves money in the long run by eliminating several upgrades).
Plan for the future if your going to run 5.1 or 7.1 try and buy all the speakers same model and brand ( keeps the Corvette from sounding like a Vega when the sound is panned from speaker to speaker.)
belzo likes this.
post #4 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers in this price range?

Again, I'm looking for something that will be best suited for music. I'm using a Fiio E-10 USB DAC with digital coax running to my receiver. The sound coming from the computer is very clean.

I was looking at this page http://bookshelf-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/polk-audio-speakers-review.html and online personal shopper reviews.

So, these are the speakers so far that I am considering but I'm certainly open to other suggestions in the same price range:

Based on online reviews:

Polk Tsi100
BIC America DV62si
Klipsh B-20
post #5 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Adding Wave Crest HVL-1 and Cambridge Audio S30 to the list.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

My speakers have to be very close to the wall. Should I be looking for speakers with forward facing bass ports instead of rear facing.
For example, If I had to choose between Wave Crest HVL-1 and Cambridge Audio S30 in my situation would the added bass response that people have talked about in the S30 really not be apparent in a setup that doesn't have room behind the speaker?
post #7 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 PM

We have a KRF-V5100D the sound is awful to play flac music using SPDIF so we have switched to RCA composite plugs so that we can use the settings in Jriver and change the Equalizer settings.

My question is what do you recommend as an upgrade not too expensive.

Can we use the same speakers as we need small ones.

Will it make a difference using HDMI?
post #8 of 24 Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Going to try and go listen to the Behringer Truth B2030P? What do you think? Possibly a good choice?
post #9 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Bought the Polk TSx110B today. I like it.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Changed my mind. Took back the Polks. Was not happy with them after I had more time to listen to them.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Are you interested in Klipsch speakers? The RB-41, RB-51 are bookshelf speakers with rear facing bass ports, while the RB-61, and RB-81 have front facing bass ports. I have the RB-61s in use as front heighth speakers and I like them quit a bit. smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #12 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ordering the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR's right now on sale. I heard them in the store and thought they sounded great but the 6ohm rating was worrying me with my 8ohm receiver but I've read enough success stories from people running these on similar receivers and I think I'm just going to give it a shot and hope that it works like I'm hoping it will. rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 24 Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 PM

We have just upgraded from a Kenwood KF V5100 to an Onkyo TX NR515.

Will the speakers on the Kenwood be ok till we buy some more?

Opinions on the Onkyo would be appreciated, is it an improvement over the Kenwood.

Speaker recommendations not too expensive but good ones, need the front ones to be not to big but can be on stand as long as they are thin.
post #14 of 24 Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by belzo View Post

Ordering the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR's right now on sale. I heard them in the store and thought they sounded great but the 6ohm rating was worrying me with my 8ohm receiver but I've read enough success stories from people running these on similar receivers and I think I'm just going to give it a shot and hope that it works like I'm hoping it will. rolleyes.gif

It should work fine if you keep the listening levels reasonable. There's a really good explanation here at CNET and I don't think I could summarize it any better or quicker than that author did.
belzo likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Is this Onkyo much better than the kenwood ?
post #16 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 01:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Better in what way? Certainly it has modern digital connectivity and the ability to process the latest audio codecs. It most likely has better room calibration software. Obviously it has the features you wanted when you shopped. What else are you looking for?
post #17 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

So far zero ploblems running my new speakers with my receiver. 6ohm speakers from 8ohm receiver. Not even running warmer than before
post #18 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 PM

sound quality, bought this as our old one did not have HDMI connection.

Also wanted something with a bit more power.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I don't see how anything else at this $100 price point could compete with these Pioneers. I'm very impressed. For once I feel like I don't have to heavily EQ (I still am EQing the bass a tad but that probably has a lot to do with my receiver) I think that with a better amp these would sound even better. Compared to my Cerwin Vega's they have much better midrange but not overly bright to the point of sounding strange like the Polk's that I just returned.
post #20 of 24 Old 08-26-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maid View Post

We have just upgraded from a Kenwood KF V5100 to an Onkyo TX NR515.

Will the speakers on the Kenwood be ok till we buy some more?

Opinions on the Onkyo would be appreciated, is it an improvement over the Kenwood.

Speaker recommendations not too expensive but good ones, need the front ones to be not to big but can be on stand as long as they are thin.

Are you going to be running a sub and bookshelves or just bookshelves?
post #21 of 24 Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM

Actually that purchace fell through.

We are now looking at the 717 or 828

Sooo confused
post #22 of 24 Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Keep in mind the 828 was downgraded from the previous year's model featuring Audyssey MultEQ XT32 all the way down to just MultEQ which is only featured on Denon's lower level models E300 and E400. You may want to consider the new Denon AVR-X4000 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Regardless, if you're interested in either the 828 or X4000 ... call me for a quote. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #23 of 24 Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 PM

Which in your opinion is best?

Can I message you for prices?
post #24 of 24 Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 PM

purchased Onkyo TX NR929.

How do I match speakers.

Will my Kenwood KRF-VR5100D speakers blow up or damage the amp?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page