DTS HD Master Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lurking on this forum for awhile but never posted. I need help cause my issue is driving me crazy. I cannot get the DTS HD Master Audio to light up on my VSX 53. I am using a Sony BDP 360 that is capable and I have tried several discs like Avatar etc. The onscreen display for the Blue Ray shows DTS Master audio on the screen when you cycle through the formats on the player but my VSX only displays PCM. I have made sure all the settings on the player are for DTS but no luck. I can play a regular DTS like Eagles Hell Freezes over disc and I get the DTS to light on the VSX but I cannot get the Master Audio to light up. Is is my player that says its DTS HD Master Audio capable but isn't decoding properly or is there a setting on the VSX I am missing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How is your Sony hooked up to the reciever? DTSMA can only be done over hdmi.

Also Make sure that the receiver is set to AUTO or DIGITAL (see Choosing the input signal on page 39 ).

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #3 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks CURBS it's connected to HDMI and I have tried both Auto and digital
post #4 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220

The Sony models (older for sure) use EDID to determine what audio is supported. So you need to make sure the receiver is on before you start up the Sony player. Also set audio to Direct.

post #5 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Check the BD Audio Mix setting on the player. It should be Off to get a lossless bitstream.

EDIT: Direct, not Off, is the correct setting. Thanks, JChin.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but nothing has worked yet frown.gif
post #7 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Make sure secondary audio is set to off on the player or your player will only output PCM to the receiver.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #8 of 23 Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smapa View Post

Did you check the BD Audio Mix setting? It is set to On by default.

As noted by another poster, your player uses the HDMI handshake to determine the best connection possible. Setting HDMI Audio to Auto and Direct insted of Mix is the combination required to get a dts-MA bitstream. But, of course, the PCM output is every bit as good. The only difference is that the player decodes the track instead of the receiver. But, the resulting audio is identical either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Make sure secondary audio is set to off on the player or your player will only output PCM to the receiver.
Sony players don't call the setting Secondary Audio. They call it BD Audio Mix.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Did you check the BD Audio Mix setting? It is set to On by default.

Hi smapa, BIslander is correct. But the Sony S360 BD Audio should be set to "Direct" to get a lossless bitstream (it is set to "Mix" by default).
post #10 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you help Bislander! I couldn't get the Sony S360 BDP to work no matter what settings I changed. i swapped out the newer Sony BDP from my bedroom and once I changed the BD audio mix setting to off, it worked! I appreciate everyone's help...now I can sleep at night!
post #11 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help. Sony uses different terms than other manufacturers and it's not clear what needs to be done to produce a lossless bitstream, especially since Mix is On by default.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Liked: 16
I have the same player, and just bought a Joe Satriani Blu Ray, I was having trouble getting the Dolby True HD to play through my receiver. Then I saw a button on the players remote marked "Audio" began pushing that button, and wha la !! The receiver showed Dolby True HD. Give that a try and see if it works.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

That button likely walks through the tracks available on the disc audio menu. You will get the same list of choices by going to menu on the disc itself.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM

True, but for some reason I was having trouble getting it to play the true hd. I checked my settings and the audio was set to direct.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Each disc has a default track. While most movies have just a single English lossless track, many concerts include a stereo PCM track as well. if the stereo version is set as the default, which is often the case, you have to go the disc audio menu to select the lossless, multichannel track instead. The audio button on remotes can be a shortcut to the disc audio menu.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM

For some reason I could not select the HD audio through the menu. It was there, but when I moved the cursor to it, it would default back to PCM. But using that button on the remote worked.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 AM

Can anyone answer why all speakers on my 7.1 system put out sound while I'm playing a 5.1 master audio track? I'm just curios and want to know
post #18 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Because you have setting for surround modes that enables all speakers to play even when getting on 5.1 channels of material. The back surrounds are mirroring the side surrounds. If you switch to pure direct or source direct you will get the 5.1 mix. If you tell us what you own for a receiver I or someone else can be more specific.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #19 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude32986 View Post

Can anyone answer why all speakers on my 7.1 system put out sound while I'm playing a 5.1 master audio track? I'm just curios and want to know

It's probably the default setting on your AVR. Most AVRs have surround modes that account for both more speakers and less speakers depending on the audio track. If you analyzed each discrete channel you would probably notice that the surround and surround back channels play the same track, when upmixing from 5 to 7.

The process gets reversed when you have less speakers, say 5.1 playing an originally 7.1 track. The surround back channels get blended with the surround channels.

If you want to disable it check to see if your receiver has a Direct mode. This should push each track only to its specified speaker.
post #20 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

It's probably the default setting on your AVR. Most AVRs have surround modes that account for both more speakers and less speakers depending on the audio track. If you analyzed each discrete channel you would probably notice that the surround and surround back channels play the same track, when upmixing from 5 to 7.

The process gets reversed when you have less speakers, say 5.1 playing an originally 7.1 track. The surround back channels get blended with the surround channels.

If you want to disable it check to see if your receiver has a Direct mode. This should push each track only to its specified speaker.
thanks I have a Denon Avr-e400 and 7.1 set of klipsch synergy speakers the avr does show that all 7 are active but I was just curious as to why. Thanks for your info:)
post #21 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

thanks I have a Denon Avr-e400 and 7.1 set of klipsch synergy speakers the avr does show that all 7 are active but I was just curious as to why. Thanks for your info:)

Sure. I think on the E400 the Direct/Pure Direct modes should disable the extra surround processing. But also note that on some AVRs the Direct modes disable any sort of auto-calibration or room correction settings that may be in use.
post #22 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

What device is doing the decoding? Many DTS-HD Master Audio decoders will expand 5.1 sources to 7.1 regardless of the surround mode settings on the processor. It's part of the DTS Speaker Remapping scheme, which is designed to modify input sources to match the speaker array of the playback system.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

For 7.1 setup, surround speakers are one both sides of your listening position while surround backs are behind you. In a 5.1 setup, surround speakers are in the back corners, neither besides you, nor behind you. So, if 5.1 channel tracks are played back only on surround speakers of a 7.1 system, you will get nothing behind you. That's why most 7.1 AVR will map 5.1 surround tracks to both surround speakers and surround back speakers to simulate the corner surrounds (this can be turned off in a separate settings on Pioneer receivers, nothing to do with Pure Direct). On top of that, DTS-HD MA has speaker layout mapping profiles embedded in the audio track. A decoder is suppose to apply the profile to map to the actual speaker layout. In most cases, it will yield 7.1 speakers. For example, Panasonic BD players will always output 7.1 LPCM via HDMI if you let player decode any DTS tracks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page