questions about A/V receivers and speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, i'm continuing my research on this stuff as my wife is getting antsy about filling in the two holes I have in the back of my family room for surround speakers. I have some questions:

1. the wall where my in-wall surround speakers will go in is an outside wall and has insulation. is this a problem when installing in-wall speakers?

2. why do some difinitive technology speakers have 4 inputs? for example, the StudioMonitor 55 series.

3. are there any receivers that have bluetooth? I've looked at a few Yamaha and Denon receivers and neither say anything about bluetooth. my neighbore can send music from his tablet to his receiver (or whatever equipment he has) using bluetooth and i'd love to do that.

4. what is scene in a receiver? is it just the new fancy way of saying "source"? if so, Yamaha's RX-V675 only seems to have 4 of them (ie: BD/DVD, TV, net, radio). what if I want to connect my TV's digital box or my media streamer or other stuff?

5. the speaker inputs on receivers seem to be round holes. do you just put in the speaker wire and turn?

sorry for the dumb questions, I just haven't bought any Audio equipment in years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
1. No and if it does use a box trim the insulation out of the way.
2. IMO marketing.
3.Just look for AVR's that are compatible with your device most are with Android and Apple these days.
4.Almost all will have connectivity for your sources but you will have to look at higher end AVR's for phono and tape loop and other legacy inputs.
5. These are binding post that can use bare wires/spade lugs behind them and tighten the post or insert a banana plug in the hole.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your reply. i'm not sure what you mean by #5. does it work with ordinary speaker wire? or do you need special wires/speakers for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

1. No and if it does use a box trim the insulation out of the way.
2. IMO marketing.
3.Just look for AVR's that are compatible with your device most are with Android and Apple these days.
4.Almost all will have connectivity for your sources but you will have to look at higher end AVR's for phono and tape loop and other legacy inputs.
5. These are binding post that can use bare wires/spade lugs behind them and tighten the post or insert a banana plug in the hole.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
When you unscrew the post (not all the way) it will expose a hole or slot you can slide bare wire in and tighten the post back down there are pictures of how it works in every manual.
I prefer banana plugs because they allow a clean way to connect speakers on the already over crowded back of most AVR's with no chance of a stray strain of wire shorting out and GLS makes some very good and affordable plugs.
It will make connecting and disconnecting speakers a lot easier for service or upgrade later but no matter what you use there are no benefits for sound a solid connection is all thats needed just don't like bare wire its to easy to have a tiny strain touch something else seen it happen to many times to too many clients.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page