Onkyo HT-RC560...anyone score one recently and what do you think of it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just scored one via Woot. It was 335 out the door. I will be replacing my old Onkyo TX-SR605 (yeah its old and the HDMI is flaky but it works). I replaced the 605 with a Denon 2311ci 2 years ago which has been stellar in the areas of sound field, sound quality, and imaging! Denon has really done a great job on sound! I did a head to head with the Pioneer 1121k, Yamaha A810BL (completely overrated), and a few others all in the same HT setup with the same content. The Denon had sound quality that surpassed the others significantly!! Video...well it is average. So now I have the 560, tons more features, significantly better video processing chip anchor bay vs Qdeo, and more. I am wondering how the new 560 will stack up. I will be putting it into my main floor HT to test it directly against the Denon. But this will take some time to get the test done. Whatever the outcome is, one of these units will be going down to the lower level gaming HT setup.

Anyone have this unit and what do you guys think of it?? I ask for onkyo's sound quality to me has always been average. Features are usually very good but video has been hit or miss...HDMI issues and so on but that was years ago. This buy was purely impulse but it is also an excuse to get rid of my old 605...not enough HDMI and so on. For 335 this didnt seem like a bad idea!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
As long as the HDMI board holds up and you keep the receiver well ventilated then you should be okay.

Afro GT
post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I hooked it (560) up in the exact same setup as the denon is. Same speakers, sub, TV and used the same content to test. I calibrated it and made some minor tweaks. For the money it isnt bad. Video processing is solid although not as good as the pioneer I tested a while back which was the 1121. It is a little better with adjustment then the denon which uses an anchor bay processor that is nowhere in the same neighborhood as the Marvel Qdeo. Sound seems good but nothing stellar. Depth isnt as good nor is the imaging as the denon is. The denon really does the job especially with detail. It i(560) is however excellent at low volumes. It has a nice bass response at low volume levels as well. So nice full range without getting all over it to get that complete sound. Now the 560 has a few issues that are noticeable. The Wifi...will not connect. As a disclaimer, I am an IT guy by trade. So I do this for a living. If I cant get it to work...there is something wrong with it! No big deal, I have the whole house wired for Ethernet so I just plugged in. Ran the firmware to be safe and still no wifi. There is also a popping when switching inputs and powering off. This is not good!! It has only been a few days so I will not make too far a judgement but I think I know what can be expected. I do like the remote at first not so much but it is good. HDMI placement with speaker post right below...sometimes the speaker post interfere with the HDMI. This unit has a decent menu system was easy to setup and seems loaded with tons of features. I grabbed mine off woot. I am not recommending it but I also dont think it is junk. I dont think anyone at a 300-350 budget will be upset. It is pretty good for its price point.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 AM

Hey, thanks for the review. You covered it all. I'm a fan of Onkyo and still have a 605 too. I read the specs on the 560 and they sound great. I'm more concerned about the wifi not working. My house isn't wired for ethernet so I'm very interested in wireless. Have you been able to get the wifi working or did Onkyo just screw up that receiver?
Barilski
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM

This unit is on Woot again. Thinking about ordering it, but still unsure. I currently have a Denon AVR-2313 that I purchased refurb and it has been a nightmare. I'm on my 3rd unit because the first and second ones were defective. This one has a bad network adapter, but I let it go since I just didn't want to wait for a 4th RMA. Anyway, needless to say, I will never buy Denon again. This Onkyo looks promising, but just looking for more opinions, specifically from those that also have experience with Denon.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM

I got it from Woot. It had a lot of potential. First, the biamp and 4ohm capability is one of the main reasons. It works well for this driving some magnepans.

But... I also got it replace my squeezebox which is being phased out for network audio functions. This receiver's network functions is about on par with a 1980s speed computer device. Any selection you make in the Network screens, whether Pandora, Rhapsody, Tune-in, etc, has a lag that is about 4-15 seconds long. same for going backward. Really unusable when you are trying to find a track you want to listen to. My squeezebox is about 8 years old and has instant menu performance. I don't understand why this is the case. Even a cheap cpu should fly with these task. Not only the speed, but the menus and organization is very unpolished. For example:
In Rhapsody, when you finally get to your music library, it only list all of the artist albums in one long list, not your chosen albums or tracks. Dozens of "unstreamable" listings to scroll through. Your Saved playlist will be there, but only the title of your list. the tracks aren't listed, and when you select play, you are unable to go back or repeat, only forward.

The wifi is useless unless your router is in the same room. Mine is only about 50 feet away and will barely connect. Often says "connection error" . Again, my Squeezebox sits next to it, and it gets 78-85% signal with no problem.

The remote is very hard to use. The buttons are small and take a long push to activate. There is no feeling of a successful selection either. The Onkyo android remote app is really bad. More frustrating than the regular remote.

Many more quirks make this a product that sounds good for all of the features, but was never finished. I would have bought their flagship network receiver if this one had been better, but have a feeling its the same box, but only with more watts. Still an unusable receiver for intended purpose.

Since I have purchased quite a few things from Woot and all have more shortcomings than I remember buying in the past from other sources. I'm beginning to learn whats going one here. The items are new, at a good price, but there is a reason they are there. They appear to be products that were problematic from the manufacturer, flunked testing and not fixed, or just poorly designed.

below is a typical Rhapsody screen after selecting Rolling Stones. This is the first type of screen you see after an artist selection. You then have to scroll thru pages of these, with many seconds of pause between, to find something.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm interested in hearing more replies about the Onkyo 560. My primary reason for upgrading from my current Denon is HDMI switching, the Denon is older and only has component. The 560 has lots of features and appears to be somewhat future proof as it will do 4k pass through.

I don't need a lot of power, I typically listen at lower volumes. It is used almost exclusively to power the surround sound system for the TV.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Bumping...need more info.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry...bumping again...still looking for more info.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Does anyone know where the memory button is? I'm trying to save FM stations in the pre-set memory. Manual says press memory button on the remote, but my remote doesn't have one -- not that I can see...
post #11 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogey View Post

Does anyone know where the memory button is? I'm trying to save FM stations in the pre-set memory. Manual says press memory button on the remote, but my remote doesn't have one -- not that I can see...

Hi Stogey, the memory button is on the front panel.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Mmmm. Ok. Thank you.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 AM

I scored this first time it was on woot. It is basically fine so far. Took a while to get everything set up correctly but I am loving the powered 2nd zone and that I can independently control each zone's source and volume from anywhere in the house using the iphone app through wifi.

First time I have ever owned a unit with Hdmi switching. Good in theory but leaves something to be desired in practice. my major beef so far is with power management settings (or lack thereof). 90% of the time I am using one source (my HTPC). When that Hdmi signal ceases because it has gone to power/saving or I have turned it off, the AVR SHOULD realize this and turn off the output signal. Instead it sends a BRIGHT blue screen to my 70" panel for some length of time until it has reached its own power-saving time-out period (which is not adjustable and is very long). Then it will power down completely, so I have to turn everything back on and wait for the AVR to boot up, find the Hdmi sources, etc. How about not powering down completely but just cease sending a signal to monitor if not receiving one from input??? The TV is smart enough to turn off if it not receiving a signal but unfortunately onkyo is always sending one. I've resorted to turning off the onkyo's power-saving feature, but this means that I get the blue screen all the time so I have to be constantly aware or stop using power-saving on my PC too.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Denon Avr 2313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - 2313ci by PriceGrabber.com