Can I have channel level presets for different listening positions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Denon 890, and am considering getting the X2000 for network/3D/4K. Wondering if the X2000 (or other model Denon) support a similar feature as MCACC that Pioneer offer (from the Pioneer manual)?

This system allows you to store up to six MCACC presets,
allowing you to calibrate your system for different
listening positions (or frequency adjustments for the
same listening position).1 This is useful for alternate
settings to match the kind of source you’re listening to
and where you’re sitting (for example, watching movies
from a sofa, or playing a video game close to the TV)

I listen to music (via Last.fm & Xbox360) in one part of my room (to workout), and movies (via Netflix & Xbox360) on the couch in a different part of the room. Every time I move between the locations, I have to change the channel levels manually. Is there anyway to tell the receiver to store channel levels for different listening positions but using the same input source. I realize if I were to pick a different source it could use different Audyssey settings (via Quick Select), but I only have one source for all my uses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
I currently have a Denon 890, and am considering getting the X2000 for network/3D/4K. Wondering if the X2000 (or other model Denon) support a similar feature as MCACC that Pioneer offer (from the Pioneer manual)?

This system allows you to store up to six MCACC presets,
allowing you to calibrate your system for different
listening positions (or frequency adjustments for the
same listening position).1 This is useful for alternate
settings to match the kind of source you’re listening to
and where you’re sitting (for example, watching movies
from a sofa, or playing a video game close to the TV).

I listen to music (via Last.fm & Xbox360) in one part of my room (to workout), and movies (via Netflix & Xbox360) on the couch in a different part of the room. Every time I move between the locations, I have to change the channel levels manually. Is there anyway to tell the receiver to store channel levels for different listening positions but using the same input source. I realize if I were to pick a different source it could use different Audyssey settings (via Quick Select), but I only have one source for all my uses.

That's the feature I missed the most when I parted from my Yamaha RX-V3900, and moved to Onkyo 809, and later to Denon 3313. I never knew Pioneers also offers the same thing.

Anyway onkyos and denons unfortunately don't extend that luxury for fine tuning mad.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the verification Braveheart. I was pretty certain that was the case. I cannot understand why this is not a standard feature on "at least" the mid range AVRs by all manufacturers. I can think of a bunch of reasons why it is useful.

- Different sources have different audio characteristics (music movies, Blu-Ray, Game Consoles, etc.).
- Different listeners like different surround effects (my girlfriend is all about center channel and dialogue since she watches dramas; I like action/sci-fi so I like the dynamic full surround stuff)
- We are rarely in the same listening position ALL the time

Since most of the AVRs in this price range have nearly identical performance features; sometimes its that one little thing that makes your decision on who to give your money too. I love my Denon 890, but sadly I don't think it will get replaced with another Denon model. It is third on the list behind the Pioneer 1123 (which offers multiple location settings, and the Yamaha V675 (which can be had at Costco for $489 with a Wi-Fi adapter).
post #4 of 4 Old 08-18-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
- Different sources have different audio characteristics (music movies, Blu-Ray, Game Consoles, etc.).
- Different listeners like different surround effects (my girlfriend is all about center channel and dialogue since she watches dramas; I like action/sci-fi so I like the dynamic full surround stuff)
- We are rarely in the same listening position ALL the time

+1

The terms "Dolby Volume" and "Dynamic Volume" fetch more revenues for AVR manufactures as opposed to giving the end users the option to fine tune themselves based on source in use.

I mean how could one have a single global trim level setting for Bluray/DVD, Cable/Sat, Stereo, etc?

No business runs without profits. Hence proved; customer is NOT the boss!!! wink.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page