What receivers allow AirPlay in Zone 2 while playing another source in Zone 1? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked: 2374
^^
The X4000 is a 7CH AVR, so if you have 5CH in the main zone, you have 2 more powered channels available that you can use for either Zone 2 or Zone 3, however, an external amp would be required to power all 3 zones. For example you could connect the Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor out to the existing receiver that is powering the patio speakers and use the X4000 to power the bathroom speaker.
lowend15 likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The X4000 is a 7CH AVR, so if you have 5CH in the main zone, you have 2 more powered channels available that you can use for either Zone 2 or Zone 3, however, an external amp would be required to power all 3 zones. For example you could connect the Zone 2 (HDMI) monitor out to the existing receiver that is powering the patio speakers and use the X4000 to power the bathroom speaker.

Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid of that. I was trying to eliminate the two receivers Im using now with one receiver and be able to run three zones. Are there any other options that may do what Im looking to do?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
585-645-1006

Without reducing the 5CH in the main zone to 3CH, you would need a 9CH amp which includes the Marantz SR7008 and Onkyo 929 and flagship Denon 4520CI.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, couple questions please, as relates to denon X2000,3 or 4000 receivers.

Using the denon remote app, if I select zone 2, and then zone 2 input to be "Media Server", and I have iTunes running on my server, does the denon see iTunes as a "media server"?

So if I understand some of the comments, what I was hoping was that when I played music either through iTunes running on my server, or from the music app on my iphone, or using the remote app on my iphone which controles iTunes running on my server, when I selected the speakers to play to on the bottom right of the app, I would see "Denon zone1" or Denon zone2" as speaker options available, but sounds like I will only see single Denon X receiver. Is there now way to select from the iTunes or iphone music app which zone to play to on the denon?

Save Your Frequent Flyer Miles !! Barber's jobs are also being exported to China, you will have to fly to China now for a hair cut.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Media Server is the name given to one of the externally connected input devices. An Airplay source would be considered a Network source and can be played to Zone 2 on any of those models although only the X3000 and X4000 can play HDMI stereo audio to Zone 2 while the X2000 can only play external sources connected with an analog cable (as an independent source from the main zone). A smart phone remote app will allow you to select Zone 2 independently from Zone 1 to play a network source.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you JDSmoothie, sounds like the x2000 will fit the bill, as I'm looking to play either from iTunes using remote app on my iphone or play directly from iPhone using "music" app to zone 2. Thanks for pointing out the limitation on the x2000, but I intend to use network source only for zone 2.

Just one more question, if I use the denon remote app to select zone 2 how would I select a network source? I downloaded the denon remote app and running it in "Demo" mode, but I dont' see besides the basics such as tuner, cd, dvd etc.. I only see "Media server", "Internet raido" onlineservice1 or 2 but no "Network source" maybe this is because I'm running in demo mode as I dont' have he denon yet. But, again the question is can I select "network source" from zone 2 using the denon remote app, and then when I select play via iTunes for example and I pick DENON it will automatically be played on zone2 on the denon?

Save Your Frequent Flyer Miles !! Barber's jobs are also being exported to China, you will have to fly to China now for a hair cut.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:10 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Not familiar with the iOS app but the Android remote app allows selection of Pandora, Internet Radio, Network, etc. in Zone 2.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi JDS 

Thanks for the invaluable info you've provided on this thread so far, I'm trying to decide between the two amps mentioned (RXV-675 & X2000) and it basically comes down to their Zone 2 ease of use and functionality.

Ideally I'd like an audio setup where I can stream/play audio (net radio, NAS, itunes) to Zone 2 speakers only (bedroom) using phone/tablet app as a controller. Can you tell me does  Zone 2 control work the same way for both receivers in that you have to enable both zones (main + zone 2)  first and then via an app or remote control switch off the main zone. Secondly from what I think I understand the X2000 only has pre outs for Zone 2 where as RXV675 has active outputs which would obviously mean not having to buy another amp, although I prefer the Denon app is it the only advantage between the two receivers?

Best Wishes

Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

I have the VX2000 DENON I can answer those questions. For the Denon yes, what I do is on my iPhone/iPad I use the Denon app to power up both zones 1 and 2 (you can tap one button to do this). Now, start whatever app you want for music, then once it starts I shut off zone 1 only (note that zone 1 must be on for airplay to engage, as that's what airplay by default directs the music to, as airplay is not aware of zone 2 on the denon). I really wish that airplay was more advanced, so that when you bring up your music app instead of seeing just Denon VX-2000 as available speakers, I would display Denon VX-2000 Zone1 and Zone 2 and then airplay send the music directly to that zone. But rather all you see in your air play app such as music or youtube app etc, is just Denon VX-2000 as available speakers so that's why you have to have zone 1 turned on first to engage airplay. As to your 2nd question. With the Denon you can do both.. the denon comes with 7 channel amp... so if you don't have another amp for zone 2, what you simply do is assign the rear back speakers amp to zone 2. This of-course will limit you to 5.1 setup in main zone 1 listening area. The other option is to buy a 2 channel amp, and use the pre-outs of zone 2 to your 2 channel amp, so the denon is flexable here.
lowend15 and antdad like this.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendes9 View Post

I have the VX2000 DENON I can answer those questions. For the Denon yes, what I do is on my iPhone/iPad I use the Denon app to power up both zones 1 and 2 (you can tap one button to do this). Now, start whatever app you want for music, then once it starts I shut off zone 1 only (note that zone 1 must be on for airplay to engage, as that's what airplay by default directs the music to, as airplay is not aware of zone 2 on the denon). I really wish that airplay was more advanced, so that when you bring up your music app instead of seeing just Denon VX-2000 as available speakers, I would display Denon VX-2000 Zone1 and Zone 2 and then airplay send the music directly to that zone. But rather all you see in your air play app such as music or youtube app etc, is just Denon VX-2000 as available speakers so that's why you have to have zone 1 turned on first to engage airplay. As to your 2nd question. With the Denon you can do both.. the denon comes with 7 channel amp... so if you don't have another amp for zone 2, what you simply do is assign the rear back speakers amp to zone 2. This of-course will limit you to 5.1 setup in main zone 1 listening area. The other option is to buy a 2 channel amp, and use the pre-outs of zone 2 to your 2 channel amp, so the denon is flexable here.

Thanks Mendes that's very helpful, if I'm not mistaken that pretty much puts both amps on equal terms in the Zone 2 stakes as I'm none too bothered about losing a couple of channels to avoid buying another amp and as I like the Denon app that might have swayed me...any 675 owners that'd like to contribute? 

All the best.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I want to use AirPlay in Zone 2, while simultaneously playing the TV audio in Zone 1. I am a fan of the Yamaha receivers and have used the RX-V series for years. However I saw a footnote in the Owners Manual of the RX-V675 that said that AirPlay is possible in Zone 2 only when simultaneously playing AirPlay in Zone 1. This seems like an odd restriction so I am thinking that other brand receivers may be able to do this.
I just told others that the 775 will do this. Oops. The 673/773/7065 models (and maybe others) will do hdmi a/v to main zone and streaming airplay to zone 2 at the same time. I just did it on my 773. Then Yamaha took that feature away. Internal airplay in both zones only from 675/775 on up to the 3020/3030. The 777 or 2014 models don't either. I'm keeping the 773 and the rear surrounds are moving to the patio.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Liked: 0
Hi - hopefully there is still help for a similar set up. First - I'm no audiofile, so please be patient.

I have a denon avr E400. I have basis 5.1 set up in zone 1. I have 2 speakers in zone 2. I'd like to play music via Apple TV in zone 1 and zone 2. I have zone connected all via hdmi. In addition I connected RCA cables from Apple TV to the receiver. But no sound...any help? I tried to change Apple TV settings but I didn't see an option to set two outputs.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprice View Post
Hi - hopefully there is still help for a similar set up. First - I'm no audiofile, so please be patient.

I have a denon avr E400. I have basis 5.1 set up in zone 1. I have 2 speakers in zone 2. I'd like to play music via Apple TV in zone 1 and zone 2. I have zone connected all via hdmi. In addition I connected RCA cables from Apple TV to the receiver. But no sound...any help? I tried to change Apple TV settings but I didn't see an option to set two outputs.
Oh! Never mind!
I had forgotten to set the input to both analog and hdmi. Thank you so much for the earlier posts! I would have NEVER figured this out!!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprice View Post

For more helpful information on your Denon E400, refer to posts #3-6 in the 2013 Denon E/X Owner's thread linked below ...

The 'Official' 2013 Denon "E Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 08-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdad View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by mendes9 

Thanks Mendes that's very helpful, if I'm not mistaken that pretty much puts both amps on equal terms in the Zone 2 stakes as I'm none too bothered about losing a couple of channels to avoid buying another amp and as I like the Denon app that might have swayed me...any 675 owners that'd like to contribute? 

All the best.
I own an RX-V475 and purchased a Denon X-4000 for my main room when I moved to a new house. I love the Denon. I purchased also an X-2000 for 350 bucks. Viewing the back panel of the 675, I am unimpressed with the fact they have spring terminals for the zone 2 speakers. The X-2000 has all binding posts. I am not sure about the V-675, but the "web interface" on the RX-V475 is useless; literally, all you can do is setup up DHCP or static IP. No reporting on any settings or adjustments available. On the Denons, I can navigate to their IPs to change all settings. Also with the Denons, their command set is extremely logical and easy to use. I am using some automation with Eventghost and my harmony remotes to do some advanced switching and routines for my zone 2 and whole house audio stuff. On the Denons you can independently adjust channel levels. ON the 475 you cannot. It may be possible with the 675. There is also a really great app called DeRemote that allows you to do very sophisticated controls (adjust subwoofer level for instance). I will say, the Denons seem to put off A LOT of heat compared to my Yamaha (which means they either make more, or are able to evacuate it better).

But all in all, professional integrators like the Denons (the two I talked to both sold and loved them), and I am very impressed with mine. I hope I am not comparing apples to oranges. But my point is the X-2000 vs the 675, you will likely be happier with the Denon. They both have IR inputs. I found out that I love that feature as you don't need to place a blaster on the front panel! Now if it was X-2000/3000/4000 vs the Aventage, I am not sure.

One gripe I have about my Denons is they don't have USB on the back. I only wanted to run a USB cooling fan and had to plug in elsewhere (I wasn't going to do it in the front of my Denon). My 475 has a usb on the back. Oh well. First World Problems.

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver , Denon Avr E400 , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver , Apple Tv Mc572ll A
Gear in this thread