Pioneer Elite Video Processing / Upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently moved from an Integra pre-amp / amp to a Pioneer Receiver and prefer the sound but noticed the video processing (HQV) of standard def content is not as good. If I return the receiver and move to a Pioneer Elite SC-75, would the processing be better or is the QDEO chip the same across all Pioneer receivers, including Elite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7 View Post

Recently moved from an Integra pre-amp / amp to a Pioneer Receiver and prefer the sound but noticed the video processing (HQV) of standard def content is not as good. If I return the receiver and move to a Pioneer Elite SC-75, would the processing be better or is the QDEO chip the same across all Pioneer receivers, including Elite?
The same across all models. The common 4kx2k capable video processors these days are the Marvell QDEO, Analog Device ADV8003, and Silicon Image VRS (aka ABT). Silicon Optix which made the HQV/Reon, and Realta, is no more and had those technologies sold to IDT (Oct 2008) and Geo Semiconductor May 2009) respectively.

The QDEO is pretty decent when its comes to standard definition playback, you should have no problems. smile.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and glad to know the entire line uses similar chips.

Am I correct, based on reading about Onkyo, that HQV is not an upscaler but a processor? It basically cleans up SD and HD video?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
the HQV Reon and Realta chips also did scaling as well as "clean" (noise reduction, artifact reduction), and have contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc adjustments.

all video processors used in receivers & BD players do scaling (480i > outputting 1080p for DVD's, as an example). you choose whether to use it or not, and the resolution to which its scaled. or in auto mode they figure out the best resolution to use from the display (1080p for your HDTV, 480i for a old CRT set, 720p for some older HDTV's, etc)

a receiver company may choose whether to have the processor/scaler in the signal path for HDMI or just work on analog video only. AFAIK, all receivers now have it in the loop for HDMI (you can manually turn it off). that was not always the case.

Steve
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Super useful information. Really appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 75 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page