Sherbourn SR-120 Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the closeout for this one. Figured not too much of a risk if it sucks. Upgrading from a B&K 505, which I love, but is certainly long in the ol' tootherino.

My main problem with the B&K is using the analog audio inputs, for whatever reason, the bass looses much of its thwap (doing bass management from either my Oppo BDP-93 or HTPC Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe). This was my only way to get HD audio. So, I got tired of being forced to choose between HD audio with crippled bass or SD audio with kick-ass bass. Hopefully, this 77lb thing will get me both.

I know the processor is basically a cloned Emotiva UMC-1, which I've seen some people curse HDMI handshake issues and others have no problems. We shall see. I suppose I can still just use this for strictly audio, if needed (which is what I'm doing with the B&K now).

Just thought I'd throw this thread out there in case anyone else pulled the trigger. Or, I'll just use this thread to ramble to myself (see above) for y'alls' amusement.

Quote:
Features
  • Twin Cirrus® 32 bit dual core DSP’s
  • Decoding support for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital True HD, Dolby PLIIx, DTS, DTSES, DTS HD, DTS Master Audio, DTS Neo 6, SPDIF, PCM 8 channel (note: some audio formats are only supported via HDMI)
  • Multi-channel Dolby Volume (Read ‘How Dolby Volume Works’ at dolby.com)
  • Genesis/ST® Torino high performance scaling engine, featuring a full implementation of the Faroudja DCDi™image processing suite
  • Intuitive, full color graphical OSD with adjustable transparency presented over live video, including HDMI
  • Unique automatic multi-channel room correction and loudspeaker setup. Calibrated measurement microphone included
  • Quadruple bass manager with independently selectable high and low pass frequencies from 40hz to 250hz, in 5Hz or 10Hz increments (depending on frequency)
  • Selectable 12db or 24db per octave high pass and low pass filters by channel groupings
  • Independent 11-band graphic EQ with global bass and treble controls by channel groupings
  • Internal amplifier defeat
  • Switchable powered zone 2 operation
  • All legacy video inputs can be scaled and output over HDMI at up to 1080p
  • 1080p/24 fps video support
  • Video pass-through mode with 12 bit compatibility
  • HDMI sources can be format converted to component video up to 1080i (not available on some copy-protected content)
  • HDMI 1.3a and HDMI 1.3a Deep Color compliant
  • RS-232 remote control connection for integration into whole-house control systems
  • All inputs are assignable and feature input labeling, selectable decode modes, selectable triggers, etc
  • 0.5dB level trims on all channels
  • High voltage, low impedance main analog outputs for uncompromised dynamic headroom

Connectivity
  • (5) HDMI inputs and (1) HDMI output
  • (3) Composite video inputs (RCA)
  • (3) S-video inputs (S-video mini DIN)
  • (3) Component video inputs (RCA)
  • (1) Component video output (RCA)
  • (4) Stereo analog audio inputs (RCA)
  • (1) 7.1 Analog input set (RCA)
  • (1) 7.1 Analog output set (RCA)
  • (4) Coaxial digital inputs, (RCA)
  • (3) Optical digital inputs (Toslink)
  • (1) Coax digital audio output (RCA) (2.0 downmix)
  • (1) Optical digital audio output (Toslink) (2.0 down mix)
  • (1) Stereo or 2 channel analog multi channel mix down output for fixed level monitoring (RCA)
  • (1) Stereo analog variable and independent Zone 2 output (RCA)
  • (1) Stereo analog fixed level record output (RCA)
  • (1) High performance AM/FM tuner with 24 FM and 6 AM presets
  • (4) Assignable trigger outputs Movie / Music / Amp-1 / Amp-2 (3.5mm mini)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 04:58 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Went for a closeout sherbourn pt7030 myself digital av ; unbelievable deals on the avr's too . I think it should be pretty reliable considering it's a sherbourn and intended for a custom installation even if it's got umc1 links - no emo-q for a start so no problem there biggrin.gif

Will be interesting to see how you feel it goes ; its got a nice powerful analog stage compared to many ce avr's thats for sure wink.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The Sherbourn is a solid product...
Built/designed by the same Chinese factory used by Cambridge and NAD...

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉
post #4 of 17 Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
SR-120 and the PT-7020A are solid. I have had no issues with them.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can't seem to find the manuals on either Sherbourn's or Emotiva's web sites. Any Help?
post #6 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's a bit hidden (got to click on Features on the main SR-120 page, link is at the bottom: http://www.sherbourn.com/products/sr-120-home-theater-receiver)

Direct link:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/4516/t/9/assets/sr_120_manual_v2.pdf

Edit: UMC-1 manual, in case it adds more details of the GUI features: http://emotiva.com/resources/manuals/umc1_manual.pdf

post #7 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks! I didn't scroll down far enough. I think my ADD kicked in a little early tongue.gif .
post #8 of 17 Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Just curious where did you get your deal on the av? I'm new but reading many posts on the sherbourne models and looking to consider a deal like you got. Thanks.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #10 of 17 Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Liked: 11
Pulled the trigger on this one before they sold out. Got it 4 days ago and this MONSTER is Sick! 72 pounds of muscle and the remote itself is 3 pounds!! (Made of machined Aluminum!)
I haven't pulled it out of the box yet it's so big!! LOL!! Mainly bought it for future use when my current equipment dies. It will decode anything I could throw at it digitally. I'm using the PRE-1
I got on the closeout for $179 and it's just beautiful sounding and gorgeous to look at. Very Very Classy. And the phono section is very nice sounding. As of this morning (Sunday 9-8) the
7020 for $399 seems to be all gone. So that's it, a once in a lifetime Opportunity and congrats to everyone who was able to score a piece. We'll probably NEVER see something like this happen again
in our lifetimes.
Mickboy
BossHoggSocal likes this.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #11 of 17 Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

Pulled the trigger on this one before they sold out. Got it 4 days ago and this MONSTER is Sick! 72 pounds of muscle and the remote itself is 3 pounds!! (Made of machined Aluminum!)
I haven't pulled it out of the box yet it's so big!! LOL!! Mainly bought it for future use when my current equipment dies. It will decode anything I could throw at it digitally. I'm using the PRE-1
I got on the closeout for $179 and it's just beautiful sounding and gorgeous to look at. Very Very Classy. And the phono section is very nice sounding. As of this morning (Sunday 9-8) the
7020 for $399 seems to be all gone. So that's it, a once in a lifetime Opportunity and congrats to everyone who was able to score a piece. We'll probably NEVER see something like this happen again
in our lifetimes.
Mickboy

I got a PA 7-350, PT-7020A and a SR-120 all for less than $2K shipped and no tax. About $10k retail when it first came out. I would have never experienced the great quality of Sherbourn in my home if it weren't for these prices.
mickboy likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
Incredible isn't it??
I was able to turn two co workers on to the 120 before it went by by. It's huge, but especially for two channel and digital decoding, it pretty much does almost everything and more.
Here's a pic of my current set up:

Love Music and Gear!!
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #13 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Set my SR-120 up last week, and while I don't quite think it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal, it is pretty awesome. Some thoughts:

Pros:
-Simply put, it sounds phenomenal. This is what I was hoping for. Going from my B&K, I have as good or better build and amp quality, but now with high-res audio (both analog and digital). Punchy, tight bass. Clear dialog, even and especially with all kinds of other crazy stuff going on in the soundtrack. Super-full surround field with only a 5.1 setup (Atlantic Tech 350's + Snell ICS Sub24 Mk3). Clean, punchy, with zero strain when cranked. Really good stuff.

-Room EQ for doing the levels and distances was quite accurate (though the mic cord is a tad on the short side). As far as the actual EQ slopes go, still testing those out. I'm leaning towards just having it off. The effect is more pronounced with broadcast soundtracks (not as much on movies). It just sounds "different." We'll see. Again, everything still sounds awesome even with EQ off, and I certainly don't have the best room in the world for dedicated listening.

-Being able to create a "source" that uses whatever separate audio and video sources is nice. As an example, I have two "sources" for my Oppo: one that uses analog audio, and one that uses HDMI audio. You can also set Room EQ per source (or off), if you have different settings (up to 3). Overall flexibility is pretty great.

-Build quality is pretty crazy. I thought my old B&K 505 was big, but this thing is a total beast. Actual weight of the unit, at least according to my scale, is a bit less than 65lbs (not the 77lbs I was expecting). Total package weight (with included accessories, like rack mount ears, Room EQ mic, and the ridiculous remote) is around 75lbs. Reason I had to figure this out is my shelves are max capacity 75lbs.

Cons:
-The video processing is not good. More importantly, it is not defeatable. This is a real shame. Reading reviews of the UMC-1, I was already prepared for this, but seeing it in action is a letdown nonetheless. Pass-through wouldn't even work for me (perhaps because I have an HDMI switch and DVI-HDMI booster/adapter in my video chain, who knows). Setting at 1080p and viewing HTPC, Oppo, DirecTV and PS3 sources, it's immediately apparent there is a smoothing effect, especially noticeable with text, that you cannot get rid of, even when turning Sharpness all the way down. It's not crazy horrible, but there is no doubt it's there. As such, I'm running all my video separate from the SR-120. Luckily, this can be done with both the Oppo and HTPC and keep HD audio. Not so much with the PS3 and have to use toslink (also using toslink for DirecTV, but it's moot since there's no HD audio for that source).

-No direct trim controls for center, sub, surrounds, etc. (have to go into the menu). Now, I haven't felt the need for this, anyway (I was used to having this on the B&K for turning up the sub, etc.), but it's a bit of a bummer they don't exist. I even grabbed the UMC-1 IR commands (which does have dedicated trim controls) in hopes it would work with the SR-120, but no go.

-Can be a tad slow locking into the source audio signal. For example, if I switch from my Oppo to my DirecTV, it can take a second or two for the audio to kick in. B&K was definitely faster.

-While you can dim the VFD, you cannot dim the amp (or power) lights, and those are pretty bright. Had to cover with some black vinyl.

Overall, an outstanding audio upgrade for only 460 bucks.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 19
Is the power button on the front real loose feeling on anybody else's?
post #15 of 17 Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt10r View Post

Is the power button on the front real loose feeling on anybody else's?

Yes, mine's exactly the same.

post #16 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 12:05 AM

Any one here can provided me the Sherbourn sr-120 receiver (RS232 protocol). The manual is not help full...

post #17 of 17 Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 95
SR-120 or Yamaha 667/UPA-700 combo? I know the latter is more expensive, but is it worth the extra cost? Thoughts?

My current setup...

All Klipsch
Fronts - KF-28
Center - C-2
Sides - VS-14
Rears - VS-14
Sub - RW12D

Reciever - Yamaha RX-V567BL

AVR - Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 / Sources - PS3/Xbox360
Fronts - Klipsch KF-28 / Center - Klipsch RC-62
Sides - Klipsch VS-14 / Rears - Klipsch VS-14
Sub1 - SVS PB12-NSD / Sub2 - SVS PB12-NSD