Problem with Integra DHC-80.3, need help/advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My Integra DHC-80.3 will be 3 months old next Thursday and I just encountered an error two weeks ago and a repeat of the same error just last night.

I have my Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT50, Panasonic BDT-500 Blue Ray, Pioneer LX70 DVD Burner and cable box connected to my DHC and in the ARC Channels. Now since the day I got my DHC, I had no problems. When I turn on my plasma, the pre-amp and amp turn on and I get a short pause of 5 seconds before the sound and picture appear on my plasma. Two weeks ago, I went to turn on my TV and when the pre-amp and amp turned on, a message appeared on the DHC's display: "HDMI Start Up" and at the right corner of the display you can see the words HDMI real small and it flashes continuously. The plasma display won't turn on and no audio is heard. The plasma shows a message on the screen that there's not signal present. If I go to turn on my BD or DVD players and play a movie in them, the movie won't display on the plasma including no sound. If I switch to tuner on the DHC, nothing happens. It's like when you turn on your equipment, the pre-amp won't allow any signals pass through the amp and TV. So I called Integra about this program and they never heard of the problem. So I did a factory reset and it fixed the problem. Now when I turn on my TV everything is back to normal. Unfortunately, I had to reprogram my pre-amp which takes around 2 hours to do. A big pain in the butt. Now, two weeks later, the same thing happened last night and I had to do another factory reset and re-program everything again. I can't continue to do a factory reset every week or every other week and re-program my pre-amp to use my system. It's a real pain in the butt.

Has anyone had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, mine has started doing the same exact thing. I used it this past Friday and everything was fine and last night I turned it on and nothing but HDMI startup showing and no audio or video out, even on the FM tuner. I haven't been able to do a factory reset yet but i'm lost as to what has happened.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Just performed a factory reset on mine and when I powered it and my tv up the word Onkyo showed up on my screen but nothing else. I powered the receiver off and back on and then the tv displayed no hdmi signal, check cable.This is the 2nd 80.3 I've had. Originally bought an 80.2, had all sorts of trouble out of it and Onkyo replaced it with a 80.3. After a few months it wouldn't respond to the remote. They replaced it with the one I have now. Not a good track record for sure.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

When I did a factory reset all went back to normal but I still had to reprogram my pre-amp. Integra told me that it might be the HDMI board and that it may need replacing. Integra also told me that if it happens again, try disconnecting the HDMI that goes to your TV and reconnect it to another TV that uses a HDMI port. In my case that would be the small kitchen TV. If your still getting the same problem with the HDMI Start Up being displayed then it is the HDMI board and you will need to send the unit in to Integra for repairs. The only fear I have is if I have to send my unit back for repairs, I hope they can replace the board instead of sending me a refurbished model. My unit is only 3 months old and I paid $2,550.00 for it, not including sales tax. I'd hate to have a used refurbished unit sent to me.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Also, is your pre-amp's firmware updated to the latest. The latest firmware update solved many issues.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Yes mine has the latest firmware. The last 2 units I had trouble with my dealer took care of getting me fixed up with a new one but I have been trying to call him for the last two days and no one answers the phone, I hope he hasn't gone out of business as I get no recording, it just rings and rings. I don't want to have to deal with Onkyo for the reason you mentioned. I too don't want to end up with a $2600.00 refurb. That is even if they will do anything as I tried and tried to register this last unit on line and the webpage would never let me so I may be doomed.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm very fortunate to become very good friends with an AVS member who has the same Integra DHC-80.3, DTA-70.1 and Panasonic DMP BDT-500 and he helped me find out why my system was locking up. It was a handshaking problem. As soon as I turned off the ARC and RIHD in my pre-amp and BD player, the problem went away. He also told me that my Plasma and other components have processors in them and they need to go through a boot up sequence just like a computer. So I have to turn on my Plamsa, wait 30 seconds, then power on my pre-amp, wait another 30 seconds for it to sync with my Plasma then turn on my source which is my cable box. And I have to follow the same process in reverse in powering down my system. All is well now, so far. But if it should happen again, then I'll have to send it in for service. I hope this solution works for me. I'll let you know in a couple of months.smile.gif
post #8 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Sounds like a lot of "crap" to have to go thru everytime you want to enjoy your system. I've had mine since December 2012 and hadn't had any issues with start up till the other day so i'm betting it's the HDMI board. I broke down and called Onkyo last night and they are sending me a prepaid shipping label to return it for servicing. My only problem is i will have to tear my house apart to find my original sales recept that they say i will need a copy of to get it repaired. There is no telling how long it will be before i get it or a refurb back so in the meantime i'm down in the water waiting for it to get back. I never did get in touch with my dealer so my fear of him going out of business is starting to look like a reality. I'll keep you posted.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so sorry to hear about that. Did you already send the unit back? If not, try turning off the ARC and RIHD features off and see if that fixes the problem. I turned mine off and it's been a day now. If I don't have a problem within a month then it was a handshaking error. I talked to Integra and they told me that if I have to send it back to them, they would just replace the HDMI board only. Unless there was another major problem, then they might send you a refurbished model or a new model depending how old your unit is. I wish you lots of luck in finding your receipt. Maybe it's in the manual. Try looking there. I've went through the same thing myself and after tearing up my house, I found my bill in with my stereo manuals. Just a thought bro.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM

No, i haven't sent it back yet so I might try that tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. I noticed the other night that even with the power turned off the top of the unit over the hdmi board was pretty hot considering it was powered off all night so I unplugged it. I mistakenly told you December 2012 but it was actually 2011 that I got it. The only quirky thing I saw out of it was every once in a while the tv screen would turn solid green for a few seconds when I first turned the unit on. Well good luck with yours, I must hit the sack, 4:25 am comes early.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I had the same problem. The reason why it was still hot after you had turned it off, is one of your zones were still on. It happened to me and when I switched off my pre-amp, the display should still show the HDMI display at the top right corner of the display for a few minutes until it goes out eventually leaving your display completely blank. On the left side by your power button, make sure all your zones are turned off. 2 and 3. If there left on, your pre-amp will still be generating electricity and will still be hot to the touch. After I turned off my zones, a few hours later my pre-amp was cold to the touch. Also I would recommend getting a fan unit that sits on top of your vents sucking the heat out and away from your unit. I did it and it made a world of difference.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM

Well, mine went out the door yesterday to the service center. Hope it doesn't take long to repair it and get it back to me as I miss it dearly! That big void in my component shelf looks terrible! IMAG0223.jpg 802k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0223.jpg (802.0 KB, 13 views)
post #13 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckytech View Post

Well, mine went out the door yesterday to the service center. Hope it doesn't take long to repair it and get it back to me as I miss it dearly! That big void in my component shelf looks terrible! IMAG0223.jpg 802k .jpg file

Yeah, that does look depressing seeing that empty space. My heart goes out to you. I hope it gets fixed and you have no more problems with it as the holidays start to roll around. It's nice to be able to come home from work and to be able to watch a movie and relax.

Hey, what kind of an amp is that? How long have you had it? Has it been working good for you? Just curious.

Well I wish you the best. It's a shame that Integra quality has been going downhill. I should have never sold my Integra DTR-8.8. That was a good receiver and I never had any problems with it.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well; so far, it's been 13 days now with no problems. Ever since I turned off the RIHD and ARC commands in my pre-amp, I'm not getting the HDMI Start Up logo each time I turn everything on. I guess the RIHD and ARC have been creating the handshaking problems for me. I'm still a little impatient about it. Hopefully that was the cure.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM

The amp is a Earthquake Cineova Grande 7 channel x 300 watt and I've had it since June of 2011. It's an awesome amp and it hasn't given me a second of trouble. It's taken everything I've thrown at it with no distortion. It will play a lot louder than I can stand. Can't wait to hear it again!!!
post #16 of 19 Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Yes, I know what you mean about Integra's quality going down. I've used Onkyo products for over 30 years and they all performed flawlessly except for the Dhc 80.2 and The last 2 80.3's. I think the quality started going down when they started building them in Malaysia instead of Japan.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-23-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to revive. Did everyone solve their problems. My 80.3 also started to have no sound out. Oddly video was fine but no "speaker" boxes lit up and no sound out. Setup lost ability to choose network. Nothing worked but video did pass through. Hitting reset several time and eventual things would pick up and sound. What's odd is while malfunctioning it would display all channel stereo. When it works it lights up Dolby digital. Any thoughts? If hdmi board why would video pass but no sound? Why would it work after several resets? Also why would certain features disappear from the the menu if it were the hdmi board? Newest firmware and confused.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 AM

My DTR-80.2 started to have same problems as AndyN previously mentioned. Any help would be appreciated...
post #19 of 19 Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sending off my 80.3 this week for repair. I'll let you know what happens. Sorry it's happening to you. Absolute killjoy.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page