Help setting up VSX-1123 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this about a month and still not sure it's operating like it should. Manual says when it you are processing a DTS signal or Dolby Digital you should see those light up on the panel. I get no such lighted confirmation. Incoming signal is HDMI from a PS3. A variet of Blueray disks have been tried as well as some older Dolby signal disks. The sound is pretty good, but I'm not convinced it's as full as it could be. Any thoughts out there? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What PS3 do you have? Slim or fat? The old fat ones can only output LPCM over HDMI while the Slim and newer can output TrueHD and DTS-HD MA bitstream over HDMI
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

My old receiver (Sony) received a true dolby and DTS signal from my PS3. Mostly I use it to play DVD's and Blue Ray DVDs. But to answer your question, it's a fat one.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnoviceat57 View Post

My old receiver (Sony) received a true dolby and DTS signal from my PS3. Mostly I use it to play DVD's and Blue Ray DVDs. But to answer your question, it's a fat one.

Yes, your Sony received the old Dolby Digital / AC-3 and standard DTS signals used by DVDs. Blu-ray movies have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio that have standard Dolby Digital mixes available, or DTS-HD still has DTS-Core to output. But your fat PS3 can only output LPCM via HDMI, which is the DTS-HD or TrueHD audio sources decoded into a raw multi-channel PCM signal. This is a higher quality signal than standard Dolby Digital or DTS. Just make sure you have your PS3 audio settings setup correctly with the new receiver so it can take advantage of all the receiver has to offer.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Clearly I don't keep up on technology You're saying the PCM signal I'm getting is a more advanced signal than the Dolby or DTS-HD. Or at least I'm getting the signal I'm supposed to. In any case, I like the sound I'm getting. I just shouldn't be alarmed because I don't see the DTS light up. My Sony had a blue light on the front when it received Dolby. You could really hear the depth when that happened. Unfortunately, my hearing isn't that good. Now I have to imagine that the sound has that depth. Thank you for the reply, and I'll rest easy that the receiver is working properly. Now I need someone to tell me why HDMI pass through doesn't mean the video signal will pass through the receiver when switched off. Turns out it means someting entirely different. Oy.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The feature that allows the HDMI to pass through when off... Is called HDMI standby pass through or something like that... Varies from manufacturer to manufacturer what they actually call it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page