Help me !!!!! LOL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on a quest, I have a older Samsung ln52 660 TV, just added the Direct TV HR34/700 receiver. I am getting to be a big time snob about anything other then the highest def possible.
I have a VERY old AVR, I would not maybe even call it a AVR, that has to go. I have asked this guestion at a number of so called electronics stores and got many different answers but none that really answered any of the questions I had.
In my search I was told that this forum is one of the best for this kind of info.
I want a AVR that will upscale the lower res Direct TV signals both 480 and 720 to at least 1080i. I have a Panasonic BMP-BD85 Blu Ray player, so that is covered.
Is there anyone that has purchased a AVR for use or are using a AVR with the HR34/700 and got good results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 419
What's your budget? There are a LOT of AV receivers that do 1080p upscaling.

Why are you watching standard def 480i broadcasts?

There is also a setting for the HR34 to output everything to 1080i. It doesn't upscale crappy SD channels though. You can only do so much with a standard definition broadcast.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$600 or so, Some of the channels are only 480, some are only 720 and the upscaling in the HR34 does little. That is the big question, will a AVR do a better job then the upscaling of the DVR, I have saw little that tells me that DVR does much at all, and I have read about and tried every configuration.
If there is nothing I can do with the 480 then OK, but the 720 stuff even bothers me. I have heard some AVRs don't upscale the Direct TV 720 to 1080. Some do it better then others. That is why I am here.
I have been told so many different things depending on who is trying to sell me one, that I don't know where to look.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Bottom line is that if you want better quality video viewing, then stick with the HD channels as the AVR video cards are not likely to do much better than either the DTV box or the TV itself is already doing with SD channels. An even better option, all be it costly, would be to buy a 3rd party video processor (eg. DVDO Edge or Darbee Darblet).

http://shop.avscience.com/DarbeeVision--Darblet-DVP5000_p_351.html

http://www.dvdo.com/edge/

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In my experiences the Direct TV boxes are pretty decent at 1080 output no matter what rez the channel is actually broadcasting. Not sure you will gain anything via the external scaling in an AVR or otherwise.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think if you are seeing issues with a 720 feed that is truly a 720 feed (ie. not some "rebroadcast magic" at a given channel), then you likely have some issues with your video setup. Not sure if any scaler whether it is built in or external will help "hide" that. Going to a 1080i output on some boxes doesn't necessarily help depending on the screen capabilities as some have issues with the "i" especially older sets.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page