Sonos, Apple TV, or other for multi-zone system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of setting up a multi-zone system and am having trouble figuring out the best way to go about it. We currently have a Denon 1911 as well as an even older denon amp with two zone capability. In theory I should be able to link these amps and make things work, but it seems like it might be more trouble than it is worth. Ultimately I want to have have a 5.1 system in our living room, another 5.1 system in our basement and two sets of outdoor speakers. There is a media cabinet in our living room with speaker wire for the outdoor speakers on our deck and another media cabinet in our basement with speaker wire for the patio speakers. Ideally I would be able to play music in any of the four "zones" and control volume from my iPhone. So, what should I do? Sonos amps seem like they would be sweet for the outdoor speakers (Bose 251), but $$$. If I went the apple TV route (one in the living room and one in the basement?) I'd still have to select the speaker zones manually but then it should work right? Obviously money is a concern, but in the end I want a system that is easy enough that we actually use it! Thanks in advance for the input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I own and regularly use both and ATV could work pretty well, but remember an instance of iTunes has to be running somewhere to get the most out of it. You can use Airplay from an iPad/Phone if you have one but you still have to have processing/amplification and turn it on.

I regularly use ATV but for a music solution Sonos is well worth it to me and I would think it likely that you'll be listening to and discovering more music than you have in a while.

You might find that I post in an almost always positive way about Sonos and will readily admit I can see how an impartial person might see it as bias. I'm proud of any real or percieved bias because in my use case Sonos is that good for me.

Jgiddyup
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page