Load buzz/hum emitting from speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony STR-AV910 receiver hooked up to Technic's A30 speaker towers. I've got a computer, record player, CD player, and tape player hooked up to the thing. About 4 months ago I noticed that a loud hum/buzz thing was coming from the speakers, particularly the sound blasters connected to the surround sound ports. The buzz was completely independent of the volume control. I didn't try to fix the problem myself, just took it to be repaired. After that, and $80, it seemed fixed. The humming stopped. The receipt says they cleaned and burnished the surround sound ports. For the most part, the problem was fixed. There still was a slight hum, but it was basically silent. Now about a week ago, I noticed the hum came back. Again, it is completely independent of the volume control. I tried isolating any of the inputs, and that wasn't the case. I tried swapping out speakers, and all speakers basically emitted the same exact tone. I would have thought it was the computer, but I tried plugging it in on the opposite side of the house with the computer unplugged and that didn't work. I thought maybe it was the cheap-o sound blasters, but that didn't do anything either. Perhaps it was the old record player. Nope. I can not figure out what this is, i thought maybe it had something to do with the electrical wiring in the house but that isn't the case. So I am guessing it has something to do with the amplifier. What could the problem be? And how could I possibly fix it?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Sounds like a ground loop issue. Can be fun to isolate and fix. WTF is a sound blaster?

post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I would have said so, but the problem stopped after it came back from being tuned up, then returned later. Would that still be the case?
if so how would i fix it?

Right? sound blasters are so terrible you've never heard of them. hahaha I am always looking for something better, trust me.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Can't explain your experience or why you would pay someone $85 to clean and burnish ports but it just sounds like a ground loop issue....

post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

There were other issues with it, plus I have no idea how to work on an amplifier besides the most basic of issues. I highly doubt it's a ground loop issue as I have had it plugged into the wall with nothing else plugged in in the room and it still hums. I've heard that capacitors can go bad? Could that be it?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Okay so I took my amplifier to an audio store and when it was plugged in you could barely hear the noise. You sill could, but only with your ears up to the speaker. So I brought it back home and tried using a yamaha R50 on the same outlet with the same speakers and there is absolutely no noise. It is perfect. But switch it right back to the STR Av910 and there is a buzz/hum again. loud. I could barely hear it at the store, but i can hear it at home. Yet, it is not the speakers or the house wiring because they speakers work with another amplifier. I am very stuck. Anyone else have any ideas?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj519 View Post

Okay so I took my amplifier to an audio store and when it was plugged in you could barely hear the noise. You sill could, but only with your ears up to the speaker. So I brought it back home and tried using a yamaha R50 on the same outlet with the same speakers and there is absolutely no noise. It is perfect. But switch it right back to the STR Av910 and there is a buzz/hum again. loud. I could barely hear it at the store, but i can hear it at home. Yet, it is not the speakers or the house wiring because they speakers work with another amplifier. I am very stuck. Anyone else have any ideas?

No idea and I feel for you, but probably you would be better served over at the Hum FAQ thread... smile.gif
post #8 of 8 Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM

It's the filter caps.
I had the same problem and that is what cured it.
They are polarized, 63 v, 10000 uf. You can get them from ebay for about $10 freight paid (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xpolarized%2C+63+v%2C+10000+uf+cap&_nkw=polarized%2C+63+v%2C+10000+uf+cap&_sacat=0&_from=R40).
You'll need to slightly bend out the tabs.
Be careful to put the negative side where it is designated (the caps have a gray line with the "-" markings on that side where the lead is). Using a little wiggling, a soldering iron, a solder sucker, some solder wick, and an X-acto knife; you can get the old ones out.
It's worth the effort in just the experience. And it is a very good sounding receiver.

Texas Big Ears
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony , Technics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page