Desktop Audio solution - pulling my hair out, need some help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching my options for my desktop computer for the past two weeks and I'm buried in the weeds. Basically my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup went kaput several weeks ago and since it's past warranty I'm SOL with that. I also upgraded my Grado SR-80i's to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770's.

My wish-list for an audio setup is:
  • Decent headphone amp
  • Decent speaker amp
  • Subwoofer output
  • DAC?

I have a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers I'm going to use until I can scrounge up change for a better setup, and I'll be moving my old HT no-name subwoofer into the office until I get another set of "under-the-cushion" money. Ideally I'd like to be able to have the speakers be powered and rolling and then muted whenever I plug in my headphones. I really thought I found the perfect setup in the Audioengine N22 but now that I think about it more, I wonder if I should include a DAC in the requirements. I'm using the on-board audio output from my motherboard currently, and I do have an Audigy card somewhere but I feel like a DAC would be superior.

So here are my options:

• Audioengine N22 + in-line DAC?
  • Nuforce DIA - apparently I have to plug the sub into the headphone out, so that's kinda crappy
  • Nuforce Icon-2 - discontinued
  • Nuforce Icon HDP - well over budget
  • Hlly DMK-IV (Chinese from Ebay)
  • Some other chinese combo from ebay?

I've tried searching for my specific problem set but just can't find anything. I'm also an audio noob, so maybe I'm missing a simple solution to wanting a subwoofer. Can anyone out there help me out? I'd really appreciate it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I actually took a photo of the subwoofer I'm taking from my HT and using in the office. It's been so long since I bought this guy that I forgot it was a Polk sub. Looking at the sub it has a Line Level input of L/R and L/R speaker level output. Does this mean that I could get a simpler DAC/AMP combo and just output the L/R directly to the subwoofer, and then feed the speakers from the sub? I've attached a picture. I appreciate any help... mah brain!

post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
Yup. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

So I went ahead and bought the Nuforce uDac2, which is awesome btw. It works great for my cans! I tried hooking it up to my subwoofer today and then tying my bookshelf speakers from the speaker outputs on the sub but I get nothing in the L/R channel, only bass through the sub. Unforuntately it seems like the subwoofer isn't powering the speaker outputs. I know on my new Bic F12 those outputs are only powered when the speaker level inputs are used, so it might be the same case here. I'm a sad panda because now I need to find a cheap amp that I can feed the uDac2 signal to.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page