Denon AVR X-2000 vs Sony STR-DN1040 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm currently looking to add a receiver to power a set of Mission FS2-AV speakers. These came out about 10 years ago, and use the same NXT technology that I think the newer M-Cube speakers use (they are very flat speakers with the main drawback being that they are not very good with low frequencies, so the sub has more work to do). As I am in an apartment I won't be blasting anything at full volume unless I want to fight with my neighbors smile.gif. Usage will be 60/40 movies/music.

I have narrowed down my choices to the Denon X2000 and the Sony STR-DN1040. I am leaning towards to Sony, because of positive reviews online, as well as the additional HDMI out and a more diverse set of inputs. However chances are the Denon will be sufficient for me just as well. What I find attractive in the Denon is the Audyssey Multeq XT, which seems to be very positively regarded, whereas there doesn't seem to be much feedback on Sony's Advanced DCAC in the DN1040. Of course I'm not sure how much good either of these room correction systems would be with NXT speakers anyway.

Other things being equal, what do you guys think of these two? Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Either would be a solid choice and according to the review linked below, the X2000 would be the one to beat.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-str-dn1040

You may also want to consider posting in the Sony 1040 Owner's thread ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471400/sony-str-dn1040-official-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 AM

I'm in the same boat but ruled out the Sony STR-DN1040 because of poor zone 2 and mobile app support. I'm looking for a powered zone 2 controllable via the mobile app. See this review for details: http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/sony-str-dn1040-receiver-review

But....if you don't need multi-zone the Sony looks great. There are also a few other less expensive 5.1 models as well from the same manufacturers.

I'm also considering the H/K AVR-2700 but it's a bit pricier and the Yamaha RX-A730 which is closer to the Denon in price. Other than differences in room correction, they are all pretty close feature-wise. Anthem is coming out with new receivers soon...if they have more HDMI inputs and a few other features I'm looking for including not requiring a PC to run ARC I may spring for one of those.

Good luck,

Crisp'n'Clean
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really need multizone support, so that's not a factor in my decision. It's really MultEQ vs DCAC I'm more concerned about. I'll post in the STR-DN1040 thread as well and see if I get any feedback on DCAC.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought the Sony 1040 initially but returned it because the HDMI worked less than 50% of the time. Replaced it with the Denon and with all the same devices and cables, no HDMI problems. So I would strongly recommend the Denon just for that reason!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page