Buying used receiver a good idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found a Yamaha RX-V2300 on craigslist for $50. Is this a good/smart idea?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V2300-A-V-Receiver/dp/B00BXOP5D4


Background:

Been reading on this site for about a week now. AKA brand new noobie...

Very tight budget. Do not mind buying used old equipment. Do not need the most fancy in the world.

Would prefer to buy the cheapest best bang for buck, and keep reading to understand what would best suit my room and budget, then purchase the "correct" equipment in a couple months.

If this is a good deal on this receiver. Could you suggest speakers: floor, satellite, book shelf, does not matter to me. I will get amp and sub later, unless you have a good suggestion for them too smile.gif

Found these too on craigslist... ProCinema ProMonitor 100 $10
http://mobile.craigslist.org/ele/4006314989.html


Thank you for your time and patience. wink.gif
powerej is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can haz poor people info?

Couple ideas on what to look for on ebay? Suggested reading on finding outdated vintage high quality set ups for cheap?

I realize this site is meant for as pleasant sounding A/V as possible...

I have old school JBL GTQ and Autotek amps in my car, big ole Dayton HO, Cadence comps, blah blah... I will get there with home audio, but I just moved to a place I might stay a while and wanted a pretty quick set up. One I could use for about 4 months, then start hitting the modern technology world and begging for help from you guys again. By then I will know a hell of a lot more than I do now. Just some quick cheap used suggestions, thanks guys.
powerej is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerej View Post

Found a Yamaha RX-V2300 on craigslist for $50. Is this a good/smart idea?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V2300-A-V-Receiver/dp/B00BXOP5D4


Background:

Been reading on this site for about a week now. AKA brand new noobie...

Very tight budget. Do not mind buying used old equipment. Do not need the most fancy in the world.

Would prefer to buy the cheapest best bang for buck, and keep reading to understand what would best suit my room and budget, then purchase the "correct" equipment in a couple months.

If this is a good deal on this receiver. Could you suggest speakers: floor, satellite, book shelf, does not matter to me. I will get amp and sub later, unless you have a good suggestion for them too smile.gif

Found these too on craigslist... ProCinema ProMonitor 100 $10
http://mobile.craigslist.org/ele/4006314989.html


Thank you for your time and patience. wink.gif

I buy used stuff all the time. Just purchased a Denon AVR last week for $50 too.

That Yamaha is a fine receiver as long as you don't need any HDMI inputs. But if you're on a budget that's a really good deal. As long as the Promonitor 100's are working then they're a good deal too for $10.
powerej likes this.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I buy used stuff all the time. Just purchased a Denon AVR last week for $50 too.

That Yamaha is a fine receiver as long as you don't need any HDMI inputs. But if you're on a budget that's a really good deal. As long as the Promonitor 100's are working then they're a good deal too for $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I buy used stuff all the time. Just purchased a Denon AVR last week for $50 too.

That Yamaha is a fine receiver as long as you don't need any HDMI inputs. But if you're on a budget that's a really good deal. As long as the Promonitor 100's are working then they're a good deal too for $10.

Thank you Afro GT, I really appreciate your help.

The Yamaha might be sold and the Promonitor seller has stopped responding. Anyway you could place a trail of breadcrumbs with a couple of used receivers and speakers? It's hard getting into something you know nothing about. Especially when you are going against the grain...

I ended up with an old school JBL GTQ for Cadence comps and old school Autotek pushing Dayton HO in my vehicle. I love audio, but understand how pricey it can be to get great equipment. I'd love to find a mix of solid old school power and new best bang for the buck speakers for my house. 5.1 setup pretty small living room and do not need the latest and greatest. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated or where I should go to read.
powerej is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I just noticed the Yamaha did not include the remote which means you'd have to spend some money on a replacement.
powerej likes this.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I saw that... If it's a hell of a steal then I don't mind getting up. It's just for a small amount of time. I just don't know if it's a great deal of just an okay deal. I really don't know jack! Know what I'm sayin!
powerej is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Its a very good deal as long as you don't need any HDMI inputs. But having the remote is pretty critical for setup. at worst you'll need to buy a Harmony universal remote to replace it.
powerej likes this.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Its a very good deal as long as you don't need any HDMI inputs. But having the remote is pretty critical for setup. at worst you'll need to buy a Harmony universal remote to replace it.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that... smile.gif I will find a remote for it.

Afro GT, I really do appreciate it. Thank you.

Hey, are there any speakers you would suggest to be on the lookout for on ebay? Maybe... $100 for the 5.1? Also, a used passive or active sub? Just wanted to know the brands I should be looking out for eBay or if I should really be looking for brand new deals that may arise.
powerej is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
powerej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about this - Denon receiver DRA-335R - $20 ?
powerej is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off