Can anyone reccomend an amp for a relatively low-power system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey all,

I've got a pair of CV XLS-28s, that are rated at a 200W peak @6ohms.

I'm just looking for someone to recommend an amp that wont overpower them. Preferably something that operates at exactly the wattage I need, or something with a limiter so that I can prevent over-powering.

Keeping in mind that I'm in Canada, and its hard as hell to get any sort of quality equipment... so I'll probably order over Amazon from the states. Here's one that I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001W3BM24/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Does that have what I need? Don't be afraid to simplify biggrin.gif

Thanks, in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just thought I'd toss this here in case anyone ever stumbles across this, and is wondering about the power handeling of the XLS-28.

Apparently it is a little misleading...
Quote:

Kevin,

Thanks for your inquiry, sorry for your inconvenience. The use of the word ‘Peak’ on the product page for the Cerwin-Vega XLS-28 is somewhat misleading, so allow us to clarify. The RMS rating of this speaker is actually 100 watts (6 ohms), and the Program (or ‘Continuous’) power rating is 200 watts (6 ohms). We recommend using an amplifier or receiver of minimum 100 watts RMS per channel (rated at 8 ohms or 6 ohms), up to 200 watts RMS (at 8 ohms or 6 ohms). If your Yamaha receiver outputs 100 watts RMS at either 8 ohms or 6 ohms it will work well with the XLS-28, and the Emotive amp/receiver with 150 watts RMS @ ohms power is well within the capability of our speaker as well.

The 89.8 dB sensitivity rating of the SLX-28 is with 1 watt RMS power applied, measure with a microphone at 1 meter distance. If you apply 100 watts RMS to the XLS-28 it will produce approximately 111dB.

Thanks again for contacting Gibson Customer Service, best regards always.

biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page