What I found at my parent's house! - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > What I found at my parent's house!
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 03:09 PM 08-21-2013
A Carver TFM-35 and Adcom GFP-565. biggrin.gif

I'm not really sure if I am going to use the Adcom yet. Anyone know where I can find a replacement knob for the level control? It's missing for the Carver!

FMW's Avatar FMW 03:13 PM 08-21-2013
It's good stuff. Assuming the capacitors are still up to spec, it should do an excellent job.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 03:25 PM 08-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

It's good stuff. Assuming the capacitors are still up to spec, it should do an excellent job.

I know it works since my dad was using it to drive some sony speakers that only require 50 watts lol. I asked him if I could use it and try it out to drive my Monitor 70 II. I've been doing some research on it, and it appears there are two places that service this type of amp. I'm trying to see if I can find that volume knob since its missing.

This amp is probably over 20 years old. I remember my great uncle was using it when he was alive (RIP). It would be awesome if I can make it work with my SC-1522-K AVR. The only thing I'm noticing is that I might have to turn this amp manually every time I need to use it.
67jason's Avatar 67jason 03:57 PM 08-21-2013
Excellent find Gus. Let us know your thoughts when you get the 70's hooked up.
pioneertop's Avatar pioneertop 05:53 PM 08-21-2013
sweet find....must be nice ..
LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast 06:06 PM 08-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The only thing I'm noticing is that I might have to turn this amp manually every time I need to use it.

Something like these (from one extreme to the other):

http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Adapter-Wireless-Remote-Converter/dp/B002FJD1LY

http://www.sears.com/belkin-conserve-switch-surge-w-remote-catalog-category-power/p-SPM10773329515?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 06:24 PM 08-21-2013
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 02:46 AM 08-23-2013
It's alive!!!

I had to re-arrange my whole set up to include the Carver amp. I though it was going to take me about an hour to set everything up, but no. It took me about 3.5 hours since I have to re-arrange all of my ethernet, hdmi, and RCA cables. On top of that I had to re-terminate some of my speaker wires because I didn't like the way they looked lol.

By the time I was done with everything the kids and the wife were asleep. So, I couldn't really crank the volume up. I did get to watch Oblivion finally! I will play some music tomorrow to see if I hear any difference.
pioneertop's Avatar pioneertop 07:03 AM 08-23-2013
Quote:

It's alive!!!

I had to re-arrange my whole set up to include the Carver amp. I though it was going to take me about an hour to set everything up, but no. It took me about 3.5 hours since I have to re-arrange all of my ethernet, hdmi, and RCA cables. On top of that I had to re-terminate some of my speaker wires because I didn't like the way they looked lol.

By the time I was done with everything the kids and the wife were asleep. So, I couldn't really crank the volume up. I did get to watch Oblivion finally! I will play some music tomorrow to see if I hear any difference.
sweet.. by the way you will hear a difference a big one ..in the sound quality department ... and my guess is very soon you'll go for a 5 channel amp.. pre/pro, is the way to go..i just sold my pioneer receiver..i got a good deal on a NAD..pre/pro..and matching 7 ch amp.. and boy 'o' boy what a difference..in sound quality , i was one that though a good receiver is all i need ..but boy was i wrong...
you will definitely..hear the difference ..
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 11:03 AM 08-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

sweet.. by the way you will hear a difference a big one ..in the sound quality department ... and my guess is very soon you'll go for a 5 channel amp.. pre/pro, is the way to go..i just sold my pioneer receiver..i got a good deal on a NAD..pre/pro..and matching 7 ch amp.. and boy 'o' boy what a difference..in sound quality , i was one that though a good receiver is all i need ..but boy was i wrong...
you will definitely..hear the difference ..

Tell me about it. I am definitely looking for more power now lol. For xmas, my request would be more POWER!!! and better speakers of course. I'm going with the RTiA9's.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 12:13 PM 08-25-2013
I found something troubling today while listening to music. My front right speaker tweeter sounded muzzled. I had issues before with the tweeter, and Polk Audio send me replacement, which fixed the issue.

So, I switched the tweeters from the front left to the front right, and it sounded fine for a few second and then it sound muzzled again. So, I thought the xover might be the issue. However, I remember that I changed the level on my Carver amp to 100%.

So, I moved the knob to the 5 o'clock mark, and the muzzleness went away and the tweeter sounded good again. So, I'm wondering if this is a sign that the right channel in the carver is going out? I am using some cheap RCA cables right now, I've got some Audio Quest on the way, but I don't think this might be the culprit? Anyone?
M Code's Avatar M Code 12:32 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

I found something troubling today while listening to music. My front right speaker tweeter sounded muzzled. I had issues before with the tweeter, and Polk Audio send me replacement, which fixed the issue.

So, I switched the tweeters from the front left to the front right, and it sounded fine for a few second and then it sound muzzled again. So, I thought the xover might be the issue. However, I remember that I changed the level on my Carver amp to 100%.

So, I moved the knob to the 5 o'clock mark, and the muzzleness went away and the tweeter sounded good again. So, I'm wondering if this is a sign that the right channel in the carver is going out? I am using some cheap RCA cables right now, I've got some Audio Quest on the way, but I don't think this might be the culprit? Anyone?

Most likely the tweeter is blown..
This happens frequently when playing MP3s (or iPod) @ high levels...
Its compressed streams have alot of distortion, as tweeters are not capable of handling high power...
Another thing to check is to make sure is that tweeter mounting screws are snug, if loose the driver can vibrate....
Also you may be overdriving the amplifier, really depends upon the source's input level to the Carver.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
pioneertop's Avatar pioneertop 12:37 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

lol..funny you had the issue...last week i was listen to the new speakers ..and in listen to them i found that the left channel sounding weaker than the right ..humm... i thought , my first thought was to check my pre-amp ..well its was not i changed the r.c.a cables around..to find the weakness ..move to the right..humm..i thought ..got some new cables AQ and boom ..all's well ..cheers..
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 01:56 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Most likely the tweeter is blown..
This happens frequently when playing MP3s (or iPod) @ high levels...
Its compressed streams have alot of distortion, as tweeters are not capable of handling high power...
Another thing to check is to make sure is that tweeter mounting screws are snug, if loose the driver can vibrate....
Also you may be overdriving the amplifier, really depends upon the source's input level to the Carver.

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

Tweeters are good. I was using airplay via my iTunes on my Win 7 PC.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 02:00 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

lol..funny you had the issue...last week i was listen to the new speakers ..and in listen to them i found that the left channel sounding weaker than the right ..humm... i thought , my first thought was to check my pre-amp ..well its was not i changed the r.c.a cables around..to find the weakness ..move to the right..humm..i thought ..got some new cables AQ and boom ..all's well ..cheers..

The RCA cables I'm using are really old, and I noticed they kink easily. I also noticed the right speaker sounds lower.

I've removed the Carver, and everything sounds fine. I've got some audioquest RCA cables on order. Once they get here I'll try it again.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 02:13 PM 08-25-2013
I would put the AVRS in the middle, the Carver in the bottom shelf, and the two components on those shelves on the one that the Carver is sitting on. As for the low sound on the right, could be due to dried out Cap's. Find a shop that will clean it up, replace any components that are aged, due to being stored, and replace that knob, it should sound like new.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 02:14 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:

If it is only happening with that Carver Amp, then the Crossover network in it is needing to be rebuilt, like the rest. The prices for that amp is pretty low for what people are selling them for, but if you take care of them, or keep them in working shape, they will last forever.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 02:22 PM 08-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

If it is only happening with that Carver Amp, then the Crossover network in it is needing to be rebuilt, like the rest. The prices for that amp is pretty low for what people are selling them for, but if you take care of them, or keep them in working shape, they will last forever.

This amp is well over 35 yrs old. It was my great uncle's. He never pushed the amp at all, and I know no one had work on it. So, you are probably right. It might need some fixing. I found a place that work on these amp and they provide a yr warranty on them. I just don't think is worth fixing it since adding this shipping and labor cost will be over $300, but like you say it will probably last another 30+ years.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 02:31 PM 08-25-2013
adcom-gfp565-pre-sch.pdf 220k .pdf file If you can find the parts yourself through Parts Express or other channels, and setup yourself a nice work area, you could do it yourself. Found the Service manual, they also have the Owners Manual http://www.thecarversite.com/manuals/mandir/Carver%20TFM-35%20service%20manual.pdf One place for the service manual for the Adcom http://www.hifiengine.com/library/adcom/gfp-565.shtml Here is one place to get the Adcom Schematic for no price, and no malware, just the PDF http://www.nodevice.com/manual/gfp-565/get124816.html
Attached: adcom-gfp565-pre-sch.pdf (219.6 KB) 
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 02:38 PM 08-25-2013
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to do this myself with the nice info provided by gregzoll. Thanks.

As far as the knob. I've been having a hell of a time trying to find one.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 03:00 PM 08-25-2013
I could not upload the Service manual. As for that knob, any will work, as long as it is large enough. This looks kind of close to the size of the knob that was on there http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carver-C-4000-Preamp-Left-Bass-Knob-/161026931158?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257df3f9d6 Another one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volume-Control-Select-Knob-for-CARVER-AVR-100-AVR-180-/181130982908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2c3f75fc Check local music stores, they may have some knobs that are close to the one that would replace the missing one. Also if there is a local hamfest or swap meet in your area on weekends, along with flea markets, hit those up for parts.

A place out of Pittsburgh, these Sunfire knobs look kind of close http://www.vintagehifipgh.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=p6b6ti75esnmn9rkual15ajrp0&keyword=knob
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 03:26 PM 08-25-2013
Gregzoll, thanks. Those knobs look like they might work.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 03:43 PM 08-25-2013
If you can find the "Acid Brushes" http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=360-368 use those with Isopropyl Alcohol to clean as much grime off, then use McGuair's Marine Clear Plastic Detailer, PlastX™ Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish or Mother's Plastic Polish to clean up and shine the chassis.

For keeping my wiring neat, I use Split Loom or Spiral Wrap to keep everything clean and tight. Keep power together, speakers together, Ethernet you can put with the interconnects. I took my A/P and placed it on top of my left speaker so that it was not on the top of my stand, due to I have a Vizio E Series Speaker bar for every day listening, and the Panny Plasma, and just could not find a decent spot even behind the plasma, that got good reception on my A/P, but on top of the speaker, works for me, and with our walls being a dark Red, some stuff hides against it.
GusGus748s's Avatar GusGus748s 04:55 PM 08-25-2013
Thanks Greg. I will try that out.
Up
Mobile  Desktop