GEEK: The on-the-go, high-res DAC and headphone amp from Light Harmonic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
There is a Kickstarter for a USB DAC by the guys at Light Harmonic who brought you the Da Vinci DAC.
It seems like an amazing little piece of tech, and there is a strong push to get a 3.5mm Line Out for it so it can act as a stand alone device.

Here are some of the highlights:
  • It's a digital to analog converter (DAC). Our ears can't hear anything that's digital; digital signals have to be converted into analog form before we can hear them. DACs are everywhere: in your phone, in your TV, in your laptop. The problem with those DACs is this: they suck. GEEK's DAC doesn't suck.
  • It's a headphone amp. Ever wish you could turn up the volume on your laptop just a little more? Being a traveler, I hate trying to watch movies on an airplane. Even with noise-reducing headphones, they're still hard to understand. Well, GEEK's amplifier is 10 times more powerful than the headphone amplifier typically used in laptops. That means you can really crank this sucker up. Not only is it louder, it's clearer.
  • It's a 3D awesomifier. Headphones can't really duplicate the way sound naturally reaches our ears. GEEK has 3D audio technology that moves the sound from between your ears to all around you.
  • It's a shareulator. GEEK has two headphone jacks!
  • It's high definition. Few sound devices found in computers today are able to play high-resolution audio. GEEK can play any current or anticipated audio format.

I'm sharing the love, and I'm interested in the thoughts of my trusted AVS friends.
Kickstarter: GEEK

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have to admit, that I'm surprised no one commented on this...

Anyway, the Kickstarter is over, but they are taking pre-sales. You can use the coupon code iamageeksfriend through Friday September 27th, to receive $30 off the current price.
Also, I would appreciate it if you would mention my name (Sean Hull) in the order notes, as I can earn a free high res album from 2L

You can check out Gavin's Blog and see them connect the GEEK to an iPad, see technical specs, see how it compares to others, etc.

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page