Multi-Zone, Multi-Input Mixing and Matching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm not a technoob or anything, but I just don't think I have enough AV experience to know what I can do. I've attached a photo of what I want to do accomplish, but I don't know what equipment I need to accomplish it.
Essentially, I want to be able to take digital and analog inputs, and using one or more devices output audio to 3 separate zones of speakers.

Ideally, I'd like to play at least two different inputs at the same time (Input 1 > Zone 1, Input 2 > Zone 3, for example) or play a single input in 2 or more zones at once.

My limitations are:
Speaker wire has already been run by previous homeowner, all three rooms (two speakers each) all back to a central location, so having separate amps in different zones isn't really an option.
I'd love to keep the cost as low as possible, to enhance my Wife Acceptance Factor.

If I think of more details I'll add them.
What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 149
What you want to accomplish is doable. You just need an appropriate Denon AVR...I say Denon because I'm unaware of any other brand/model of AVR that can discreetly send SPDIF inputs to the zones (heck, the vast majority cannot do SPDIF to the zones, straightaway), which I believe is what you want/prefer.

Denon models that do this: the x4000 x3000 (I believe), 4311, 3312, and others that I'm sure someone will note.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENrgStar View Post

So I'm not a technoob or anything, but I just don't think I have enough AV experience to know what I can do. I've attached a photo of what I want to do accomplish, but I don't know what equipment I need to accomplish it.
Essentially, I want to be able to take digital and analog inputs, and using one or more devices output audio to 3 separate zones of speakers.

Ideally, I'd like to play at least two different inputs at the same time (Input 1 > Zone 1, Input 2 > Zone 3, for example) or play a single input in 2 or more zones at once.

My limitations are:
Speaker wire has already been run by previous homeowner, all three rooms (two speakers each) all back to a central location, so having separate amps in different zones isn't really an option.
I'd love to keep the cost as low as possible, to enhance my Wife Acceptance Factor.

If I think of more details I'll add them.
What do you guys think?

You may want to look at the RX-A3030 receiver as I believe that it can take digital audio from it's HDMI inputs and output it via optical to Zone 2. The only thing is the source material must be 2 channel PCM. If you go to the Yamaha websit and download the manual for the receiver it will be towards the back under "Audio Routing" and have a chart showing what can be output from each zone and any restrictions that apply. I am not sure if the RX-A3020 can do this but it would be worth checking that manual also as these units are last years flagship model and will be going or are on sale at the moment.smile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, thanks for the help. I wasn't particularly clear in my post, but I already had Speaker wire running to all three zones, so what I needed was an amplifier, or a way to send amplified powered signals over speaker wire two speakers that were already installed.
I eventually ended up purchasing an Onkyo NR717, which can send audio to three different zones, all powered.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page