Krell vs Classe vs McIntosh - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I had a chance to listen to the Classe 2300, McIntosh 452 and Bryston 14BSST PRO. They all sounded good, They all had their pros and cons. But the one thing that I didn't like about the Classe amps were??? That they are either assemble or made in China. Always had bad luck with products made in China. Next week I will have The Krell 302e Evolution, McIntosh 452, Brsyton14BSST PRO and the Classe 2300 at my house. This way I will test all of them connected to my speakers. I will also have a chance to go listen to the Yamaha amps tonight.

Thank you for all of your inputs and recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIE0227 View Post

So I had a chance to listen to the Classe 2300, McIntosh 452 and Bryston 14BSST PRO. They all sounded good, They all had their pros and cons. But the one thing that I didn't like about the Classe amps were??? That they are either assemble or made in China. Always had bad luck with products made in China. Next week I will have The Krell 302e Evolution, McIntosh 452, Brsyton14BSST PRO and the Classe 2300 at my house. This way I will test all of them connected to my speakers. I will also have a chance to go listen to the Yamaha amps tonight.

That is the best way for you to tell and if you want to throw one more bargain for the buck look at a Parasound Halo by John Curl they offer quite a bit for the money.
I still like the Mc for everything especially reliability.
post #33 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Have you considered the Pass Lab X-250.5. Basically same power as the Classe and made in the USA.smile.gif
post #34 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions. I know your speakers (Focal and Def Tech) but what will you be using as a source and preamp/prepro?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #35 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Looking forward to your impressions. I know your speakers (Focal and Def Tech) but what will you be using as a source and preamp/prepro?

Hi Jim,

Depends on what Amp I go with I will be buying the preamp. So far I like the Krell preamp the best and the Classe.
post #36 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

That is the best way for you to tell and if you want to throw one more bargain for the buck look at a Parasound Halo by John Curl they offer quite a bit for the money.
I still like the Mc for everything especially reliability.

Hi Oztech,

I know about Parasound. I used to have one up until sound one place a glass of wine on top of my amp, while we were in the middle of having a party.

You are right great amp for the money. And it sound it good too.

Thank you again Oztech.
post #37 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think all of the amps are absolutely amazing, all around. Cannot go wrong with any of them, and they'd all drive your speakers perfectly.

To me, the choice is more personal than anything... do this:

- Set a firm budget
- Remove anything that's outside that budget
- Look at which has better warranty, service, support in your area
- Pick the one you are most passionate about, love the look, the way it fits with rest of the gear, etc...

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #38 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

I think all of the amps are absolutely amazing, all around. Cannot go wrong with any of them, and they'd all drive your speakers perfectly.

To me, the choice is more personal than anything... do this:

- Set a firm budget
- Remove anything that's outside that budget
- Look at which has better warranty, service, support in your area
- Pick the one you are most passionate about, love the look, the way it fits with rest of the gear, etc...

Thank you, You're absolutely right about all of it.
alexb76 likes this.
post #39 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thank you, You're absolutely right about all of it.

Thanks.

I think your choice is almost like choosing between Porsche, Ferrari, or Maeserati. They're all fast, fantastic cars, but one would make you want it more, hence it's very personal. At those kind of price points, you wanna appreciate the gear everytime you turn it on, or look at it, and it goes much beyond the audio quality IMO as all of them are top of the line across the board.

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #40 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Have you considered the Pass Lab X-250.5. Basically same power as the Classe and made in the USA.smile.gif

If I could afford it, the Pass Lab would be the only amp I'd consider. Its a shame it was not mentioned as an option. eek.gif I purchased a hand built 2 channel amp (Aleph J) from Nelson Pass and it punches about 4 times out of its price range. wink.gif Class A is the only way to go.
post #41 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

If I could afford it, the Pass Lab would be the only amp I'd consider. Its a shame it was not mentioned as an option. eek.gif I purchased a hand built 2 channel amp (Aleph J) from Nelson Pass and it punches about 4 times out of its price range. wink.gif Class A is the only way to go.

I will be totally honest with you. Never heard of them and I just started to do some research and where I got my speakers from are the dealer that sells them.

I'm looking at the X350.5 Very nice amp.
post #42 of 59 Old 08-30-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I will be totally honest with you. Never heard of them and I just started to do some research and where I got my speakers from are the dealer that sells them.

Check w/Reno Hi Fi they usually sell demo Pass Amps at reduced prices. Currently I have older Pass designed amps in my system. Thresholds and Fortes. Have them hooked up to an Aerial set up. Very happy w/the sound.smile.gif
post #43 of 59 Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Rod,

Thank you for your input. I wanted to share that I did take a look at their website and found my local dealer here. I also wanted to share that I had a chance to listen to Mark Levinson and it was nice. Not the greatest. Not like in the old days. I don't know why

Thank you

You're welcome.

post #44 of 59 Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to read you actually got to listen to multiple amps and even better will be getting a 2nd session in home because at the end of they day that's the environment they need to work well in.

Curious about the Bryston, why the Pro version? With their volume control those don't show up much in home theater, it's probably 99.9% the C series versions used for home application just due to the fact the volume is controlled via the SSP or receiver making a volume control on an amp irrelevant.

post #45 of 59 Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Glad to read you actually got to listen to multiple amps and even better will be getting a 2nd session in home because at the end of they day that's the environment they need to work well in.

Curious about the Bryston, why the Pro version? With their volume control those don't show up much in home theater, it's probably 99.9% the C series versions used for home application just due to the fact the volume is controlled via the SSP or receiver making a volume control on an amp irrelevant.

With the Bryston I'm actually going to listen to consumer version and not the pro. They wont let me take it home. But you're absolutely right, it has to work well in my house. Look forward to testing all these amps with my speakers. I know all the amps will work well with my Focal Utopia speakers, but I hope it will work with my Definitive Technology 7000 Speakers. Because I use the Definitive for parties.
post #46 of 59 Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

My update.

Got a chance to listen to all of the amps in my house with my speakers, all of them have their pros and cons. But for me the winner is the Krell 302e. There was a little bit more detail, the sound was just right. Again all of the amps sounded great, but Krell sound it a little bit better.
post #47 of 59 Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

So did you place your order smile.gif

post #48 of 59 Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I have one myself. It's a great piece. Did you get a chance to listen to one?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #49 of 59 Old 09-14-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I did. Now I just have to wait. Plus I want to buy new cables...
post #50 of 59 Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I have one myself. It's a great piece. Did you get a chance to listen to one?

Yes I did it made it more difficult to order a choose between both amps. To be honest with you, I was very impresses and if it wasn't for the salesman that was very pushy, condescending, and arrogant. I would have bought that one. Great amp.
post #51 of 59 Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So did you place your order smile.gif

post #52 of 59 Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice. Hopefully the wait isn't to long smile.gif

post #53 of 59 Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice. Hopefully the wait isn't to long smile.gif

They say only 3 weeks. So its not that bad.
post #54 of 59 Old 09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, not bad at all.

post #55 of 59 Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nope, not bad at all.

No not at all. Right now I'm tying to upgrade my cables and doing some research to what brand get.
post #56 of 59 Old 09-20-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Cables are tricky but like everything else I guess with really being limited by what the local dealer sells if you actually want to test drive them.

How close are your speakers to your amps? Are you a short speaker cable vs long interconnect guy or vise versa?

post #57 of 59 Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cables are tricky but like everything else I guess with really being limited by what the local dealer sells if you actually want to test drive them.

How close are your speakers to your amps? Are you a short speaker cable vs long interconnect guy or vise versa?

The speakers are about 12 to 14 apart from where the amp would be located. Right now I have 10 gage speaker cables. So I thought new Amps new cables. Any suggestions?

I was looking at Audioquest and Cardas .....
post #58 of 59 Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Is that inches, feet or meters?

Ah cables, with this being AVS, cable discussions either turn into a s&^t fight as more people start commenting or the mods shut things down or remove posts so I don't want your thread to get shut down smile.gif Personally I have never heard/used either Audio Quest or Cardas as my local dealers are not distributers. I personally have a mish mash of stuff from super cheap Radio Shack analog and video cables for my VCR and dual cassette deck, to Ixos speaker cables, a Monster digital coax, an Audio Research subwoofer cable plus a few Audio Research toslink cables, and some of Kimber Kable's products like Tonics and PBJs, a Cadence subwoofer cable, a couple HD19 HDMI cables and a PK10 Gold power cable.

In the end it all coms down to what camp you fall into, i.e. cables don't make much if any difference or cables are another valuable component in the system and then how much you are willing to spend.

Since I'm in the latter category with my dealer being a Kimber and Siltech distributer I have access to some high quality stuff so when/if I ever stop buying speakers, amps etc. smile.gif it would probably be something from the Kimber Select lineup or some of Siltech offerings, the ones that wouldn't require mortgage type money smile.gif I also have access to a WireWorld dealer and their products get a lot of very positive feedback.

post #59 of 59 Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is that inches, feet or meters?

Ah cables, with this being AVS, cable discussions either turn into a s&^t fight as more people start commenting or the mods shut things down or remove posts so I don't want your thread to get shut down smile.gif Personally I have never heard/used either Audio Quest or Cardas as my local dealers are not distributers. I personally have a mish mash of stuff from super cheap Radio Shack analog and video cables for my VCR and dual cassette deck, to Ixos speaker cables, a Monster digital coax, an Audio Research subwoofer cable plus a few Audio Research toslink cables, and some of Kimber Kable's products like Tonics and PBJs, a Cadence subwoofer cable, a couple HD19 HDMI cables and a PK10 Gold power cable.

In the end it all coms down to what camp you fall into, i.e. cables don't make much if any difference or cables are another valuable component in the system and then how much you are willing to spend.

Since I'm in the latter category with my dealer being a Kimber and Slitech distributer I have access to some high quality stuff so when/if I ever stop buying speakers, amps etc. smile.gif it would probably be something from the Kimber Select lineup or some of Siltech offerings, the ones that wouldn't require mortgage type money smile.gif I also have access to a WireWorld dealer and their products get a lot of very positive feedback.

OOPS sorry Its 12 to 14 feet away from the amp. You're right about the cables,
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Classe , Mcintosh Labs