ok I've got a odd question... do AVRs "wear" out or just stop working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-25-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK

I feel pretty lam asking this question as I thought I knew about AVRs and well electronics in general. BUT lets start from the beginning

I have a set of polk Ts400 for my fronts, CS20 center and bose 161 rears. Powered by a Denon 790 (no sub LTE goes to fronts, its good enough for my needs)

Over the last couple years I thought my rears were sounding worse and worse, and b worse I mean almost no sound from them. Well the other day I decided that I wanted to move stuff around and unplugged my center speaker for the week-end and in the menu of the denon said no more center untill I finished shuffling stuff around. That night I watched a movie and some TV and whoa.... I figured I'd have a hard time with dialog tracks but not so much - BUT my rear surrounds were playing loud and clear! almost too much but since I havn't heard much from behind in a long time I was OK with. My wife even asked why I bought new speakers. So next day I switched the amp to have a center again - same poor volume from the rear (and yes I even jacked up the DB to the rear - a long time ago in fact)

SO I have a two part question... Can a amp "wear" out like this or is something actually wrong with the whole AVR? I've had since new so 2007 maybe? Would a new unit clear it all up?

hope this made some sense?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page