HELP: AV Receivers - AC Power question (Pionner VSX) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

My query is specific to Pioneer VSX-1123-K AV Receiver but it can be applied to probably other AV receivers in general.

I'm really keen on ordering the VSX-1123-K from Amazon (US) but I noticed that the power rating on that device is published on Pioneer US catalog as 120V. The exact same model is selling in my country (Singapore) but is published to be using 220V. The main reason I want to order from Amazon has to do with the big price difference but obviously I will not be able to use a 120V device in a 220V country.

My question is:
Does Pioneer actually ship the exact same device model to different regions with actually different AC adapter or in fact the transformer supports dual voltage 100-240V~ but they don't publish it.
Sony PlayStation3 is published in the USA as 110V but in fact inside the AC transformer supports dual voltage. My hope is for you guys to help me figure this out.

Other option, is it advisable to use a scale up-down transformer with AV receiver? common sense tells me no but I would like to seek expert advise.

Amazon price US$540
Local price US$860
Potential Saving = US$320

Cheers,
neo30i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Can't confirm for Pioneer, but AVRs generally are designed for specific regions based on their power requirements (as well as sometimes different features as is the case with Denon AVRs) and so therefore do not support dual voltage. You are likely better served purchasing a unit from your region. You may want to consider purchasing from the used market in your local area (ie. something like Craigslist). As far as using a step down transformer, you may want to consult with the following company ...

http://www.220-electronics.com/?gclid=CPjw_vfsmrkCFZRj7Aod1jwALQ

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 AM

Liked: 10
I've got a Pioneer VSX-1120 (US model, 120V) plugged in to a 5,000 Watt converter, has been running 24x7 for the past 3 years (unless I'm traveling). I have not had any problems. I don't expect that you will either. I cannot comment on whether the transformer does in fact support dual voltage or not.

It just baffles me that I am having such a hard time finding a receiver that does dual voltage. I understand the regional power requirement explanation, but there is (at least I believe) a large enough demand for dual voltage audio equipment (read: A/V receivers) that someone would produce the stuff, and I don't think it is prohibitively complicated or costly to produce a product that is capable of it. I think my next purchase will be Emotiva, based solely on the fact that their equipment is dual voltage.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Your best bet is to try and track down a schematic for the receiver in question. Odds are that it will tell you whether there is a "opportunity" (ie. transformer taps) for dual operation. As for why they don't do the "dual operation", some countries, for instance Canada, have certification / safety "requirements" that prevent "user setable / selectable" input powering for most equipment. In general, its all about costs and most companies are in reduce, reduce, reduce. So providing equipment that is "switchable" for a market place that the feature might "help" a few clients isn't probably a high runner. Yes, there might be some "streamlining" in production (probably not much as there are other country specifics that come into play anyway) but probably overall production cost will determine the capability along with the power design / flexibility.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Purchasing large electronics overseas comes with its own set of issues. The shipping costs aside, will Amazon even ship the AVR to Singapore? Not all retailers are willing (or able) to ship to other regions - there are a number of products on Amazon.com that will only ship to a US address. As mentioned by jdsmoothie, finding a used one locally may be a better option. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, and pay the inflated price for peace of mind.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , Pioneer Vsx 1120 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page