DSP/Listening Mode Issue: Dialogue has disappeared - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting problem has developed. It seems that a very short power outage (less than 3 seconds) has somehow screwed up the DSP of the 4520.

Let me explain:

When using any other Listening Mode other than "Stereo", it sounds like spoken dialogue has been mixed out of the center channel into the very low frequencies. The rest of the surround sound signal sounds normal. The only way to hear dialogue is to disable the various multi-channel listening modes by scrolling over to "Stereo" - effectively negating any surround signals.

When viewing the video material, the effect is weird - you can see the actors speaking but it sounds like they are talking to you underwater - very faint, garbled, low frequency voices.

I've tested this with various source material - HBO cable, Netflix, blu-rays/DVD's.

I tried switching the AVR off - unplugging the power cord for a minute - but nothing seems to correct this. Note that the exact same material that was viewed the evening before exhibits this problem.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Have you tried doing a microprocessor reset? How about a network reset? I would also try plugging an know good speaker to the center channel to make sure it's not the speaker that''s having a problem. I would actually try the speaker first so you don't lose any of your receiver settings.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Have you tried doing a microprocessor reset? How about a network reset? I would also try plugging an know good speaker to the center channel to make sure it's not the speaker that''s having a problem. I would actually try the speaker first so you don't lose any of your receiver settings.

DOH!! Homer Simpson moment!! Turns out my two new kittens - who think the maze of wires behind my television are there for their enjoyment - must have pulled the center channel speaker cable right out of the AVR! Who woulda thunk it? Anyway, appreciate the reminder to rule out the obvious!!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Glad you got it sorted out with minimal effort and headache.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page