Advice wanted - Onkyo TX-NR818 or Denon AVR-3313CI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am in the market for a new receiver as my old one doesn't do any of the lossless movie codecs found on most Blu-Rays. There are so many options that it's hard for me to tell what's useful and what's just fluff. I listen to about 60% movies and 40% music. The vast majority of my listening will done through my computer running XBMC. I listen to MP3, FLAC and I have s ubscription to Slacker Radio. The later is one of the reasons I'm considering the Onkyo since Slacker is built in. I'm not sure how much stock to put into that though. If I bought the Denon, would I be able to stream Slacker to the receiver through their phone app? My speakers are Klipsch RB-41 II and a RC-42 II for the center and a generic sub. I have plans to upgrade the sub to something much better in the near future, but not right now.

I keep hearing how great Audyssey is, but then I hear others say that auto EQ's never get the settings right. My current receiver is 75W/chan so I'm hoping the increased power of the new receiver will drive the speakers a little more effortlessly. This is the first time I've spent much money on a receiver so I'm trying to make sure I get the most for my money. I'm looking to spend around $800, but I'm williing to spend more if there is a worth while reason to do so. I've always loved audio and have wanted to be an audiophile since I was a kid. My problem is that I really don't know much about it. So which receiver would you chose and why?

P.S. I have considered going separates like the Emotiva UMC-200 and the UPA-700, but again I hear mixed reviews about it's auto-EQ with many saying it is horrible. Additionally it has less features an less power. Not sure if I would gain anything for the added money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on the same dilemma, either the denon or the onkyo.

Both have similar features and they are great brands. the onkyo is like 12 pounds heavier.

The difference is the audissey thing and I am sure I will not hear the difference.

So I don't know which one to choose. I am going to go the onkyo maybe but I would like to give a try to denon.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any insight on this. I know it's a rather generic question on a forum that best deals in specifics, but us noobs don't know enough to get too specific in our questions. Just wondering what features to prioritize over others and if anyone knows something about either/both units that would make one stand out over the other.
Rutledkl likes this.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
The 818 features the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 vs. MultEQ XT on the 3313CI, so better audio fidelity would be expected as a result. Which you purchase depends on which model offers the specific features you want.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 11 Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

What about my question about Slacker Radio. Since the Denon doesn't have it built in, is there a way for me to play it on the Denon through their Android app?
post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
what do you listen on slacker radio ?.... the receivers have Vtuner which is an internet radio... if you want to play the music you want, take a look at spotify, both receiver support it and it is 9.99 dollars a month and you can choose all the music you want.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDawg View Post

What about my question about Slacker Radio. Since the Denon doesn't have it built in, is there a way for me to play it on the Denon through their Android app?

Have you tried using Skifta?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skifta.android.app&hl=en

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Liked: 19
I am experiencing the exact dilema, the more I look into it the more complicated it gets.

I was set on the 818 but then I started reading that they have alot of reliability issues especially regarding their hdmi boards. The last thing I want to do is spend $800 on something that will be faulty.
Then I noticed looked into the 2313 and the 3313 and I think the 818 has more features. and then I saw people sort of comparing the 818 to a dennon x3000.
So now I'm back to researching and comparing, It makes it difficult when these companies all have different receivers at the same price point.
its also weird that some things have 4k upscaling but not 4k pass-through.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For those that don't know, the Onkyo TX-NR818 is not being replaced by the lesser 828 but rather the 929. If you're just considering features and specs and can mentally amortize the cost difference over 4 or 5 years then the 929 looks really good. But then you have to believe Onkyo that they have fixed their HDMI problems. I did and I'm thrilled with my 929. And yes it has Slacker and 4k upscaling and passthrough. And the Bluetooth and wireless Wi Fi are nice. But at this price you coulld also consider the Denon X4000. But it has 7 channels of amplification where the Onkyo has 9.

BTW you can hear the difference Audyssey XT32 makes over the lesser versions.

Patrick
post #10 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can only advise based on recent experience, though different models. After two Onkyos over the past few years I just moved to Denon AVR-X4000 and I am in pure heaven. Not a single glitch, far superior sound processing, and it runs much much cooler than the Onkyo HT-RC370 I just offloaded. It's like a Volkswagen vs an Audi IMHO.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 19
Guys the deal of the day on amazon is the 818. At $649 i pulled the trigger and order one. Est. delivery date is this friday (prime member)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr818
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page