The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A730 & RX-A830 Thread - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #241 of 252 Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello All.

Has anyone tried this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-y...&skuId=6208639

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 01-27-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should work fine. It's cheaper from other online sources.
post #243 of 252 Old 01-31-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post
Is Yamaha not as popular as Onkyo and D&M? I am surprised this thread only has 8 pages. Official threads for Onkyo and D&M models have hundreds of pages.

Anyway, today I ordered the A830 from accessories4less. I got tired of the network issues with my Marantz 6008 and Denon E300, and it seems like Yamaha has less problems than D&M.
I hope I made the right decision. It should get here by Friday.

I noticed the same thing re. number of posts here. Have been considering the $499 830 deal so decided to browse through here.

Ed
post #244 of 252 Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Have been considering the $499 830 deal so decided to browse through here.
They must have raised the price. It was $449 when I ordered it.

So far so good. No problems.
post #245 of 252 Old 02-01-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
They must have raised the price. It was $449 when I ordered it.

So far so good. No problems.

Thanks for the feedback-appreciate it. I'm in no great hurry so guess I'll wait & see if it goes back down.

Ed
post #246 of 252 Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinyatar View Post
Have a look at EventGhost; I've used that to automate my media center in the past. One of the things I did was send IR commands to my Z-5500 to toggle on and off when the computer resumed or went to standby, so this is definitely possible. There may even be a plugin available for Yamaha receivers so you don't even have to roll your own http calls.
Thanks, I'll have a look, although on second thought I'm not sure that's what I need. What I need is, when I start my media player (MPC-HC) or audio player (winamp) the receiver should turn on. (like making handshake in the manual) I'm not sure if it's possible.

So, for now that cron script is working well. A modified version is below.

I mainly sit before my laptop working, reading and listening music (in 7ch mode; don't throw stones at me! ), or watching something using straight through or drama mode (latter for 2ch sources to be able to use the DPLII decoder).
Setup: laptop -> (hdmi) receiver -> (hdmi) TV
So, when I was there I created some small batch scripts for my Windows 8.1, and here I post these, maybe somebody else is using it the same way like I do. No need to push the buttons on the remote several times, just double click the desired setup.
I put out a shortcuts onto Desktop to easily access them. (I have debugged the xml commands on the web-setup page in Chrome.)
You need wget.exe for this to work from here "users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/" , and just copy into c:\windows directory.
As you will see below, we can fire up multiple "commands" in 1 command. We only have to separate the turnOn command, since the unit needs couple of seconds to be turned on.

YamA830 TurnOnOff.cmd :
Code:
REM Turn On or Off the unit
C:\Windows\wget.exe "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet -O NUL --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Power_Control><Power>On/Standby</Power></Power_Control></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
YamA830 Music.cmd :
Code:
REM set to Music mode: Vol -45 DB, 7ch stereo mode, Enhancer On, Straight Off
C:\Windows\wget.exe "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet -O NUL --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Volume><Lvl><Val>-450</Val><Exp>1</Exp><Unit>dB</Unit></Lvl></Volume><Surround><Program_Sel><HDMI_1><Enhancer>On</Enhancer><Sound_Program>7ch Stereo</Sound_Program><Straight>Off</Straight></HDMI_1></Program_Sel></Surround></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
YamA830 Movie.cmd :
Code:
REM set to Movie mode: Vol -45 DB, Drama mode, Enhancer Off, Straight On
C:\Windows\wget.exe "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet -O NUL --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Volume><Lvl><Val>-450</Val><Exp>1</Exp><Unit>dB</Unit></Lvl></Volume><Surround><Program_Sel><HDMI_1><Enhancer>Off</Enhancer><Sound_Program>Drama</Sound_Program><Straight>On</Straight></HDMI_1></Program_Sel></Surround></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
YamA830 Movie 2ch.cmd :
Code:
REM set to Movie mode: Vol -45 DB, Drama mode, Enhancer On, Straight Off
C:\Windows\wget.exe "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet -O NUL --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Volume><Lvl><Val>-450</Val><Exp>1</Exp><Unit>dB</Unit></Lvl></Volume><Surround><Program_Sel><HDMI_1><Enhancer>On</Enhancer><Sound_Program>Drama</Sound_Program><Straight>Off</Straight></HDMI_1></Program_Sel></Surround></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
And finally the modified cron script and entry on OpenWRT (Linux) to wake up the unit every morning and prepare it for listening music:

wol.sh :
Code:
#!/bin/sh

IPADDR="192.168.1.71"
WGETSWITCHES='--quiet -O- --header="Content-Type:text/xml"'

# turn on the A830 from Standby
wget "$IPADDR/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" $WGETSWITCHES --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Power_Control><Power>On</Power></Power_Control></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
# wait for 8 seconds to actually be turned on
sleep 8
# set to Music mode: 7ch stereo mode, Enhancer On, Straight Off
wget "$IPADDR/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" $WGETSWITCHES --post-data="<YAMAHA_AV cmd=\"PUT\"><Main_Zone><Volume><Lvl><Val>-450</Val><Exp>1</Exp><Unit>dB</Unit></Lvl></Volume><Surround><Program_Sel><HDMI_1><Enhancer>On</Enhancer><Sound_Program>7ch Stereo</Sound_Program><Straight>Off</Straight></HDMI_1></Program_Sel></Surround></Main_Zone></YAMAHA_AV>"
And the cron entry:
Code:
# wake it up every weekday at 6:30
30 6 * * 1-5 /root/.yamaha/wol.sh > /dev/null
Edit: You should put "http : //" before every IP address , the forum system didn't allow me to post it since I'm under 5 posts
post #247 of 252 Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Arc

Hello guys,
I have a Yamaha RX-A830 with a sony kdl-55hx750 tv.
I can't work the ARC out.
Can anyone help?
post #248 of 252 Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charl_de_Burgh View Post
I can't work the ARC out.
What do you mean about this?
post #249 of 252 Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Quote:
Is Yamaha not as popular as Onkyo and D&M? I am surprised this thread only has 8 pages. Official threads for Onkyo and D&M models have hundreds of pages.

Anyway, today I ordered the A830 from accessories4less. I got tired of the network issues with my Marantz 6008 and Denon E300, and it seems like Yamaha has less problems than D&M.
I hope I made the right decision. It should get here by Friday.

I noticed the same thing re. number of posts here. Have been considering the $499 830 deal so decided to browse through here.

Ed
IMHO, the reason for the "lack of posts" or seemingly not as popular as...is that these are very good, fair priced units that have minimal issues. That's a selling point in my mind. My 830 hums along handling whatever I throw at it. I'm very happy!
post #250 of 252 Unread Today, 11:32 AM

Hello!

I recently bought RX-A830. I am having hard time understanding how I could use the dialoque lift feature. I currently have 3.0 setup and I am going to upgrade to 5.0 within couple of days. At the moment when I try to use dialoque lift the option only shows "---" and cant be adjusted. Do I need to have more speakers or what I am missing here?
post #251 of 252 Unread Today, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiipeli View Post
Hello!

I recently bought RX-A830. I am having hard time understanding how I could use the dialoque lift feature. I currently have 3.0 setup and I am going to upgrade to 5.0 within couple of days. At the moment when I try to use dialoque lift the option only shows "---" and cant be adjusted. Do I need to have more speakers or what I am missing here?
I do it via the Yamaha AV Control smartphone app. It works really well and easy to use. Not sure how to do it using the remote control though.

post #252 of 252 Unread Today, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post
I do it via the Yamaha AV Control smartphone app. It works really well and easy to use. Not sure how to do it using the remote control though.
I can access the option through smartphone app but it does not do anything.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A830 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Emotiva Umc 200 7 1 Home Theater Preamp Surround Processor , Energy Rc 30 Reference Connoisseur 3 Way Tower Speakers Pair Black Ash Veneer , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System , Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page