No sound from HDMI from Receiver to TV Speakers - Pioneer VSX-1022 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel this has to be a setting issue on the receiver. I am running an HDMI IN from the Xfinity / comcast cable box to the Sat / Cable input on the receiver and then out to a Samsung TV directly through HDMI. I get picture but no sound through the TV which is what I require as I don't plan to use speakers. If I plug the cable box in through the same HDMI cord connected to the Samsung TV I get pic and sound through the TV no problem. I've gone through the main menu>HDMI options>ARC on /off I feel in every possible combination but still no sound. Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
ARC is audio RETURN channel. That is for bringing audio FROM the TV back to the receiver. That option will not affect your issue. What you need to look for is an option in the receiver to output HDMI to the amp or passthrough to your TV. I know there's the option in Denon receivers. If not, see if there if your receiver supports complete HDMI passthrough without having to turn on your receiver.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Why have a A/V receiver at all if you don't want to connect any speakers? You could just connect all the devices directly to the TV if you have enough inputs. An HDMI video switcher would have been much cheaper if your TV didn't have enough inputs.

Since you're only using it as a video switcher do the following steps.

Look on pg 36 of your manual. If you don't have one you can download it here.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1022-K_OperatingInstructions062612.pdf

Follow the pictures on this page

1. Hit Receiver button on the remote
2. select the audio parameter button
3. toggle down until you get to HDMI
4. Change the setting to THRU, its probably on AMP right now.

When THRU is selected no sound is output by the receiver. Sound will be output to the TV.

Then go to page 52 and set CONTROL to OFF and ARC to OFF since you're not using those functions anyway.
duc135 and afunnell like this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 15 Old 08-30-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your multiple replies / help with this AfroGT! Fix about works great. I didn't know HDMI Switches like what you just pointed out even existed. I will probably run some speakers at some point and got a good enough price on the receiver I'll probably just stick with it.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM

I am getting a buzzing sound from my center speaker, that seems to be coming from this receiver. Any idea on fixes? Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Check your wiring on the back of the speaker and on the back of the receiver.

Try a different speaker in the center position. If that one doesn't buzz your other speaker is probably bad.

Afro GT
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. After disconnecting the speaker wires to the center speaker, the buzzing moved to a different speaker. After trying a different center speaker, the buzzing was still there. So, it must be the receiver, which I am taking to the service center. thx
post #8 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having the opposite problem. Can't get sound to run through my receiver from my TV. I have a pioneer sc67. Any suggestions?
post #9 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What TV do you have? Have you tried connecting optical out from TV to receiver?

Afro GT
post #10 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM

I have an older Samsung TV. I have not tried the optical out. Does that limit the quality of the sound? or is it comparible to the HDMI out? Its oodd, becuase everything else that I hook up works fine. (MHL,HDMI from my computer,Tuner, PS3)
post #11 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM

I think the problem might lay in the fact that my digital cable box is hooked up through my TV via RCA as its not high def. The receiver wouldn't be able to convert the signal... think there will be an analog setting on the receiver so I can get sound going through my speakers?
post #12 of 15 Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless your TV has ARC then you will not be able to get sound from your TV to your receiver via HDMI. If your TV does support ARC, you have to make sure you are plugging into the HDMI port that has that feature. Not all TVs support ARC and when they do, usually only one of the HDMI ports have it. If your TV does not support ARC then you will need to use either the digital out or RCA out to connect to your receiver.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Unless your TV has ARC then you will not be able to get sound from your TV to your receiver via HDMI. If your TV does support ARC, you have to make sure you are plugging into the HDMI port that has that feature. Not all TVs support ARC and when they do, usually only one of the HDMI ports have it. If your TV does not support ARC then you will need to use either the digital out or RCA out to connect to your receiver.

So you are saying I can use RCA's (blue/green/red) or I can use an optical cable from my receiver to my TV plus the other cable that goes with the optical one? and I should have sound from my TV through my receiver?
post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer181 View Post

So you are saying I can use RCA's (blue/green/red) or I can use an optical cable from my receiver to my TV plus the other cable that goes with the optical one? and I should have sound from my TV through my receiver?

Blue, Green, Red are component RCA cables used to pass video. Does your receiver not support HDMI? Not sure what you mean by "the other cable that goes with the optical one". Here are your options:

1. If both your receiver and your TV support ARC, all you will need is a single HDMI cable and configure both devices to pass the audio back to the receiver. Note: This will only pass 2CH audio.

2. If either your receiver or your TV does not support ARC, but is connected via HDMI then you will need to pass audio via a second cable. You will have to use whatever cable type your TV supports. It will either be optical, digital coax or composite (red and white RCA) cables. In rare occasions I have seen TVs with 1/8" stereo jacks. In this case you will need a 1/8" to RCA adapter to connect to your receiver. For the optical and digital coax you may possibly get 5.1 channel output if your TV supports it. If not, it will be like the composite and stereo outputs. You will only get 2CH audio.

3. If you are connecting your receiver to your TV via any other connection other than HDMI then you will looking at the same audio connections as #2.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Gday,

Ive been trying to find an applicable thread and this seems to be the best...

Can anyone suggest why I cannot get audio to a second TV using HDMI? The TV receives good quality video. I'm using a 100ft HDMI cable but would have thought if there was a signal strength issue, the video would have been more suscesptable to loss? I've tried running the cable into a second receiver but I have video signal issues, so presently it runs straight into the HDMI port on the TV.

The main system works fine, though I am using system speakers for TV audio. The main TV uses HDMI 1 (control) and the second TV is using the OUT 2 HDMI

I have a SC-LX85 (which I think is equivalent to the US model SC77, asst a glance it has similar specs )

any suggestions welcome...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver , Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 7 1 Channel A V Receiver With Ab Video Scaler For Ipad R Iphone R Ipod R
Gear in this thread - 560w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page