Dennon AVR-2112CI, can I hook up two subwoofers??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody-first time user! I have a Dennon 2112CI AVR and I want to know if I can hook up two subwoofers in the same room? Also I want to know if I can add four more speakers to the origional mix. I currently have the AVR-2112CI in the living room and a Dennon AVR-1612 in my bedroom. Each AVR has four Polk speakers and a Polk subwoofer for 5.1 surround sound. I find I really don't need the surround sound in the bedroom as I now only watch or listen to go to sleep. I would like to add the speakers and sub from the bedroom to the living room set-up, is this a good idea or even possible?? Thanks in advance for your help…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Use Y-Cable to connect 2 subs. What do you mean when you say you have 4 speakers currently running on each avr?? What configuration?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Each AVR has two front, two rear, a subwoofer and a center channel speaker set. My bad, I forgot the Center Channel speaker in my origional post.

When you say Y-Cable(Each sub already utilizes a Y cable to go from a dual (Left, Right) female outputs on the each Sub to a single female input on the each AVR with a male to male sub cable inbetween. So do I use a third Y cable at the AVR end to attach both the male to male single cables form the two Subs to the AVR???

Trying not to look too "Green"…..

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!

"Sure, didn't the Almighty send me to watch your back? I didn't like him anyway. He wasn't right in the head.
The Lord says he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're #u&@ked!" :-))
post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb00712 View Post

When you say Y-Cable(Each sub already utilizes a Y cable to go from a dual (Left, Right) female outputs on the each Sub to a single female input on the each AVR with a male to male sub cable inbetween. So do I use a third Y cable at the AVR end to attach both the male to male single cables form the two Subs to the AVR???

Yes. Use a Y-adapter on the AVR end. You probably don't need the Y adapters at the subs -- it's usually sufficient to connect a single input (L or R) to the sub.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!! I'm gone tomight and Saturday but will do this Sunday and let you know. Will wait to hear back from Braveheart123 regarding speaker set-up…

Any more input will be gratefully appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance,

Enjoy your evening….
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
The 2112CI is a 7CH AVR so as you already have 5CH connected, you can connect two more speakers as either Front Height or Surround Back speakers. You could also then keep the FL/C/FR bedroom speakers connected to the 1612 and connect an RCA cable from the Zone 2 pre-outs to the 1612 to play external sources connected with RCA (red/white) cables. In the end you would have a 7.2 setup in the main zone and a 3.0 setup in the bedroom. When running Audyssey MultEQ XT to calibrate dual subs, ideally you want to have each sub located equidistant from the main listening position (ie. mic #1 position).

Also note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon AVR-XX12 Owners like yourself .... especially review posts #3-6 in that thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Ok what you do is toss away the y-cable in you are currently using on your subs. That's not required as it merely copies the same signal onto the other input on your sub resulting in 6dB of gain.

You need a y-cable with 1 male to 2 female rca plugs. Feed the male into sub pre out on your avr and run 2 cables for your subs from 2 female jacks. That is in case you want to place your subs in different locations in your room (it's best to distribute bass energy in your room). Use left input on the sub, which usually is LFE input or use the input marked as LFE.

Regarding the 4 speakers from your bedroom, simply hook 2 of them with the avr in living room as Right/Left surrounds. Since you don't have the center speaker, your avr will create a phantom image through mains to compensate for the center channel. You can use the remaining two depending on the left over/unsued channels.

Run Audyssey and that's all there is to it. You may have to change crossover to the one you like and then comes the sub integration part. You will really have to play around with the placement and distance setting to fully dial them in.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the info I will do this Sunday as I am out of town till then. I will update with results. Thanks again for your input and your expertise!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sweeeet! Thanks for the info, knowledge annnd expertise! Also, thanks a million for the Link! I will try this Sunday and update with results as I am out of town till then….

Regards,

Dave

*P.S. I'm lookin forward to shopping at http://shop.avscience.com/ :-)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page