Need help to buy a new receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-31-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm changing my good old receiver for a new one, need some tips/insights/help to get a new one that cover my needs, here I go:

I need this new receiver mainly for my WiiU.

What I need:
  • 1 HDMI out
  • 1 HDMI in
  • Linear PCM 5.1
  • Dolby Pro Logic II compatible (for Wii games)

What I have:
  • My old loved Panasonic mini component, it have 1 headphone out, and stereo in (red/white), the speakers output doesn't work.
  • Two frontal Panasonic bookshelf speakers, sounds great
  • Two tiny rear speakers, doesn't sound too good, but makes the work done
  • The subwofer is ok I think, the central speaker bothers me, it sound really bad compared to my two frontals.
  • Cheap Panasonic Hometheater system, it's really bad, I use the Panasonic mini component equalizer to "fix" the horrible sound, probably will not have any use since it doesn't have any HDMI ports.

What I want:
  • Be able to equalize the sounds, not with the preset ones, because I never got the sound that I'm used to.
    a basic equalizer like this is more than enough for me don't care if it's analog or digital
  • Be able to use at least my frontal speakers and subwoofer
  • A decent central speaker, not something that blows the house, just that produce clear sounds
  • Be able to adjust individual speakers volume.
  • Probably change my rear speakers, but my main concern right now is the central one.
  • Afordable price US$1.500 is reasonable for me (just the receiver), in Chile these things are very expensive :P

What is not necessary
  • Like I mentioned above, I don't want the system to blow the house out, just want CLEAR SOUNDS, high quality. I don't use my sound system at high volume anyway.
  • Other formats, DTS, Dolby Digital, blah blah.

Some options I've seen:

I think that's it, please ask if you need more info, I will update this thread with the options I've already seen in the market.

Sorry for my engrish, I'm spanish native speaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Someone please =(
post #3 of 13 Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Receivers don't come with equalizers like that anymore which is probably why nobody answered.

Many have auto room EQ and calibration and you can change the EQ settings by going into the setup menu. It'll be more work than that 5 band EQ you posted.

Afro GT
post #4 of 13 Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It looks like the Denon 1312 doesn't come with an equalizer.

The model number ff the panasonic system would be helpfull.

Is your subwoofer self powered or is it powered from the receiver/amplifier? Most new receivers aren't designed for subwoofers that need amplification.

Also make sure your panasonic speakers are 6 or 8 ohms. If they are 4 ohms an entry level receiver might go into self-protect mode and shut down.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 PM

Is your subwoofer self powered or is it powered from the receiver/amplifier? Most new receivers aren't designed for subwoofers that need amplification.

Also make sure your panasonic speakers are 6 or 8 ohms. If they are 4 ohms an entry level receiver might go into self-protect mode and shut down.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Any of those receivers are from well respected companies so I think any of them will do what you want it to do.

post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Any of those receivers are from well respected companies so I think any of them will do what you want it to do.

I agree. Buy whichever one suits your fancy. Run the auto calibration routine and see what you think. If you want to adjust some things manually then you can adjust the EQ manually in the setup menu as mentioned above. I think you will like the modern receivers. They are pretty slick.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
How about the Sherbourn 8100. It has an EQ you can manually tweak onscreen.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I know that Pioneer runs Advanced MCACC which is one of the best room calibration setup if you like to manually change and tweak things.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucholix View Post

Someone please =(

Here's the deal.

You can download the user manual for each receiver and read it and learn all about each receiver's features and facilities.

-or-

I can do it for you and then essentially rewrite the manual or try to summarize it for you.

You can google all of the ragazine reviews on each

You can search threads on audiophile forums like AVS and Audioholics to name two.

Remind me again why I want to do your homework for you?
post #11 of 13 Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Receivers don't come with equalizers like that anymore which is probably why nobody answered.

Many have auto room EQ and calibration and you can change the EQ settings by going into the setup menu. It'll be more work than that 5 band EQ you posted.

Didn't know they come with a manual setup, that's what I was looking for. I though they were limited only to preset ones like home theathers systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post

My frontal speaker are 6 omms, the rear ones 5, the subwoofer is powered through the sound system (so I think I'm good), my mini component model is SA-CH13, and my Home Theather model is SA-PT22, like I said in the op, I don't think I can get much use of them since they are not HDMI capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

I agree. Buy whichever one suits your fancy. Run the auto calibration routine and see what you think. If you want to adjust some things manually then you can adjust the EQ manually in the setup menu as mentioned above. I think you will like the modern receivers. They are pretty slick.

That's nice to hear, so I can go with whatever of those receivers? All of them have manual EQ setup feature?
Thanks for the replies guys biggrin.gif
post #12 of 13 Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Except the denon 1312. As I said in an earlier post, it doesn't have the automatic room correction (Audyssey) or an internal EQ. You can set it up yourself, but no equalizer.

If the subwoofer is powered by the sound system then it can't be used without some form of amplification. A 5 ohm speaker might be a bit of a struggle for an entry level receiver. Plan on getting new speakers 6-8 ohms very soon.

Advanced MCACC has 6 eq presets (like having 6 seperate eq's) but the 522 only has the Standard version of MCACC so only one eq preset.

Most of these automatic setup programs allow you to use the auto setup feature, do a manual setup. They also allow you to do the automatic setup and eq and then also set the eq manually. You can then toggle between the two and see which one you like better. As someone already said, download the manuals and see what each of them can do.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Except the denon 1312. As I said in an earlier post, it doesn't have the automatic room correction (Audyssey) or an internal EQ. You can set it up yourself, but no equalizer.

If the subwoofer is powered by the sound system then it can't be used without some form of amplification. A 5 ohm speaker might be a bit of a struggle for an entry level receiver. Plan on getting new speakers 6-8 ohms very soon.

Advanced MCACC has 6 eq presets (like having 6 seperate eq's) but the 522 only has the Standard version of MCACC so only one eq preset.

Most of these automatic setup programs allow you to use the auto setup feature, do a manual setup. They also allow you to do the automatic setup and eq and then also set the eq manually. You can then toggle between the two and see which one you like better. As someone already said, download the manuals and see what each of them can do.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page