AVS Forum banner
1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a network ready receiver with 4k passthrough trying to future proof as much as I can I am torn between these 3

Pioneer elite VSX-43

Denon AVR-X1000

Sony STRDN1040

I do get a discount through the sony store but am torn between the 3 can one of you receiver experts give me a hand in deciding please

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoX85  /t/1488886/torn-between-3-receivers-need-help-choosing#post_23694841

I am purchasing a network ready receiver with 4k passthrough trying to future proof as much as I can I am torn between these 3

Pioneer elite VSX-43

Denon AVR-X1000

Sony STRDN1040

I do get a discount through the sony store but am torn between the 3 can one of you receiver experts give me a hand in deciding please

I would choose the Pioneer but I've been a Pioneer fan for a long time. I think Pioneer has the best bang for the buck among the more reliable brands.

#4 ·
Go with Pioneer. I think only Yamaha and Pioneer allow changing their auto setup curves to your own preference. If you don't like what auto setup routines do in denon/onkyo/sony; you'll be stuck. Apart from that, all the mass market receivers off pretty much the same features .

#5 ·
Only drawback to Yamaha and Pioneer IMO is that they use a global crossover, so if for instance, you're running some small speakers or satellites as your surrounds or front heights then either they get what the fronts get (say 80hz) or the fronts get set to 120hz or maybe higher.

Neither is ideal.

#6 ·
I will be pairing it with the pioneer andrew jones floor stands and rear bookshelfs

#9 ·

Quote:
Not the Yamaha's I've seen, they use a global crossover. One setting for all speakers that are set to SMALL.

I owned two yammies, RX-V363 and RX-V3900. While the earlier had fixed xo for all speakers, the later had the option to set different crossover for mains, different for CC, and different for surrounds. But this is a bad idea to go with different crossover for all speakers. One can phase align a sub at one frequency only. It may be completely out of phase at the other.

#10 ·
so I am still torn lol I ended up going with a polk setup 55t's 15c and 45b's. I have eliminated the denon as it was stated does not have 4k pass through so I am stuck between the 840 or vsx-43 I cannot find much info on the vsx-43 but a decent amount on the 840

#12 ·
+1

Unless you will be purchasing at least an 80"+ display or PJ screen, 4K will be moot. Not to mention, that just as is the case with 3D, new 4K HDMI 2.0 Blu Ray players will likely be dual HDMI to pass the 4K video to the TV and the HD audio to the AVR. Oh yes, that's right, HDMI 2.0 is just around the corner as well. The term "future proofing" only translates to about 3-4 years given the current technology and how quickly it is changing.

#13 ·
I really don't need 4k, but I would like to have the feature if I ever upgrade to a 4k tv in the future.I am just torn and in need of a good receiver that won't break the bank but also adds features like networking and 4k

#14 ·
So after some extensive research a la this wonderful forum I have narrowed it down between 2 the Marantz sr5007 and Denon x2000, which would be a better choice???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.