Inexpensive receiver for very simple setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a receiver for a very simple setup. I have a pair of (old) Technics SB-LX30 loudspeakers and a (new) Panasonic VIERA TC-L42ET TV. (I also have a Sony DVP-NC600 DVD player/changer, but I very rarely use it and will probably replace it with a Blu-ray player.) That's it (no surround speakers or subwoofer).

I don't consider myself an audiophile (obviously smile.gif), but I do appreciate good, clean sound.

I'm hoping to spend $200 or less, and I'm willing to consider refurbished.

I noticed that there are some great deals on Accessories4Less. They have a refurbished DENON AVR-1513 for $139, which sounds like a great deal to me, but I'm not sure it's compatible with my setup (a couple reviewers on Amazon ran into problems with the HDMI).

Can you advise on some good options that are compatible with my setup and fit in my price range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to expand on what I said about Amazon reviewers running into problems with the HDMI on the Denon AVR-1513. Here is a quote from one of the negative reviews:
Quote:
After spending much time attempting to set it up including phone calls to Denon tech support I learned that the Denon AVR-1513 does not allow me to get audio via the HDMI from my Sony Bravia TV. Tech support said I would have to use my old optical audio cable for sound. They also informed me that in addition to the HDMI not functioning as a true HDMI, that ARC was not possible on the AVR-1513. I wish I had known about these issues before buying it.

Is it really true that you can't get audio via the HDMI from a TV (in my case Panasonic Viera TC-L42ET)?

When it comes to the TV, my biggest concern is that the TV audio plays clearly through my loudspeakers without noticeable lag. If I can do that with the Denon 1513, I'd be satisfied.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A quick Google indicated that this receiver does not support ARC.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

A quick Google indicated that this receiver does not support ARC.

I assumed that part was correct, but I don't know how to interpret that. Does not supporting ARC mean I can't use the stereo to play TV audio through an HDMI cable?

And if not, then what purpose do the HDMI-in ports even serve?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 380
The HDMI inputs on the receiver are for devices such as DVD/Blu Ray, Cable and Satellite boxes, gaming devices, etc that send audio and video to the receiver.

ARC is a pretty new feature. It became popular with Smart TV's. Previously one would connect the TV to the receiver with an optical cable if they wanted to send TV audio to the receiver. You can still do that with the 1513.

The major benefit of ARC is that you can send audio back to the receiver from TV with a HDMI cable. It saves you one cable over using an optical cable. Not really a big deal to me. There's no enhanced audio by using ARC.

Get a Denon 1612, 1613, x300, Yamaha 375 etc and you wont have to worry about it. They all support ARC.

Afro GT
post #6 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM3 View Post

I wanted to expand on what I said about Amazon reviewers running into problems with the HDMI on the Denon AVR-1513. Here is a quote from one of the negative reviews:
Is it really true that you can't get audio via the HDMI from a TV (in my case Panasonic Viera TC-L42ET)?

When it comes to the TV, my biggest concern is that the TV audio plays clearly through my loudspeakers without noticeable lag. If I can do that with the Denon 1513, I'd be satisfied.

It helps to understand the features of what one is buying before the purchase which the Amazon reviewer you quoted clearly did not do. Denon's lowest level model 1513 (or it's successor the E200) do not feature either Audyssey auto speaker EQ or ARC; however, you can still use an optical cable to pass the audio from the TV back to the 1513 (which is actually recommended as most TV's can only pass PCM 2.0 via the HDMI(ARC) feature while they can pass DD 5.1 over the optical (eg. Netflix movies)). ARC also often causes more headaches then it's worth so the fact the 1513 does not have it is not a major issue. For a very basic setup, there's nothing wrong with the 1513 as a number of owners have posted in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread being impressed with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_E4

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The HDMI inputs on the receiver are for devices such as DVD/Blu Ray, Cable and Satellite boxes, gaming devices, etc that send audio and video to the receiver.

ARC is a pretty new feature. It became popular with Smart TV's. Previously one would connect the TV to the receiver with an optical cable if they wanted to send TV audio to the receiver. You can still do that with the 1513.

The major benefit of ARC is that you can send audio back to the receiver from TV with a HDMI cable. It saves you one cable over using an optical cable. Not really a big deal to me. There's no enhanced audio by using ARC.

Get a Denon 1612, 1613, x300, Yamaha 375 etc and you wont have to worry about it. They all support ARC.

Ahh, so I think you are saying that ARC allows information to travel both directions (TV --> receiver and receiver --> stereo) through one HDMI cable? If that's the only advantage, I'm fine with using the optical.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Denon's lowest level model 1513 (or it's successor the E200) do not feature either Audyssey auto speaker EQ or ARC; however, you can still use an optical cable to pass the audio from the TV back to the 1513 (which is actually recommended as most TV's can only pass PCM 2.0 via the HDMI(ARC) feature while they can pass DD 5.1 over the optical (eg. Netflix movies)). ARC also often causes more headaches then it's worth so the fact the 1513 does not have it is not a major issue. For a very basic setup, there's nothing wrong with the 1513 as a number of owners have posted in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread being impressed with it.

Great information, thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger on the 1513! I'll let you know how it goes.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page