Preamp and AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Rotel RSX1067 receiver and want to use a separate 2 channel preamp with it for 2 channel sound. That is bypass the preamp in the Rotel, use another preamp, but use the Rotel's amp section. Will that now mean I lose all my AV features like SS and 5.1/7.1 etc. functionality.
Is there anyway to maintain all the AV features and improve my 2 channel sound with a better preamp?confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX7 View Post

I have a Rotel RSX1067 receiver and want to use a separate 2 channel preamp with it for 2 channel sound. That is bypass the preamp in the Rotel, use another preamp, but use the Rotel's amp section. Will that now mean I lose all my AV features like SS and 5.1/7.1 etc. functionality.
Is there anyway to maintain all the AV features and improve my 2 channel sound with a better preamp?confused.gif

The proper use of an HT Bypass is to use the stereo preamp for all your stereo sources and feed the FL/FR output of the Rotel through it as well.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Kal,

Not sure how to set this up... "feed the FL/FR output of the Rotel through it as well"

I have all sources going into separate preamp. Speakers are connected to Rotel receiver.

Right now, with the way i have setup, i am getting the 2 channel sound, but not getting any surround sound etc.

John
post #4 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Kal,

Not sure how to set this up... "feed the FL/FR output of the Rotel through it as well"

I have all sources going into separate preamp. Speakers are connected to Rotel receiver.

Right now, with the way i have setup, i am getting the 2 channel sound, but not getting any surround sound etc.

John

That is because the stereo preamp limits all your sources to stereo.

1.  Connect stereo sources only to the preamp.

2.  Connect surround/multichannel sources to Rotel.

3.  Connect the FL/FR line outputs from the Rotel to the HT Bypass input on the preamp.

4.  Connect the FR/FL speakers to the amp which is connected to the stereo preamp.

5.  Connect all the other speakers to the Rotel.

6.  Result A:  Stereo from FL/FR via stereo system.

7.  Result B:  Surround from all speakers via the combination.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #5 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

I have a Rotel RSX1067 receiver and want to use a separate 2 channel preamp with it for 2 channel sound. That is bypass the preamp in the Rotel, use another preamp, but use the Rotel's amp section.

As I read the Rotel Users manual at http://www.rotel.com/content/manuals/rsx1067.pdf

There are no power amp inputs, so there is really no way to fully bypass the preamp in the Rotel.
Quote:
Will that now mean I lose all my AV features like SS and 5.1/7.1 etc. functionality.

Yes.
Quote:

I'm wondering where you got the bizarre idea that you can improve 2 channel sound quality with a better preamp?

Do you think that the preamp in the Rotel has mi-fi cooties? ;-)

You can do far more for sound quality with better speakers and room acoustics than by churning your electronics, given the apparently quality of the electronics you already have.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Reply to KAL...

1. Connect stereo sources only to the preamp.
Done
2. Connect surround/multichannel sources to Rotel.
Rotel AV is the source of all surround and multichannel functionality
3. Connect the FL/FR line outputs from the Rotel to the HT Bypass input on the preamp.
There is no HT Bypass input
4. Connect the FR/FL speakers to the amp which is connected to the stereo preamp.
The amp i want to use is the amp built into Rotel (7x100) ( Front channel 2x120)
5. Connect all the other speakers to the Rotel.
Done
6. Result A: Stereo from FL/FR via stereo system.
7. Result B: Surround from all speakers via the combination.

Reply to ArnyK....

I purchased Kef Reference 203/2 thinking that the Rotel was up to the job. But it is not. So trying a better preamp...Mcintosh C50.

I think i would be better off, leaving the Rotel to do the job of AV functions ( it does it well) and get a separate amp to work with the preamp for my 2 channel, like a Mcintosh 402 or like...

Thought i could utilize existing gear rather than add more to my collection.

Thanks for feedback.

John
post #7 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Reply to KAL...

1. Connect stereo sources only to the preamp.
Done
2. Connect surround/multichannel sources to Rotel.
Rotel AV is the source of all surround and multichannel functionality
3. Connect the FL/FR line outputs from the Rotel to the HT Bypass input on the preamp.
There is no HT Bypass input
4. Connect the FR/FL speakers to the amp which is connected to the stereo preamp.
The amp i want to use is the amp built into Rotel (7x100) ( Front channel 2x120)
5. Connect all the other speakers to the Rotel.
Done
6. Result A: Stereo from FL/FR via stereo system.
7. Result B: Surround from all speakers via the combination.

Reply to ArnyK....

I purchased Kef Reference 203/2 thinking that the Rotel was up to the job. But it is not. So trying a better preamp...Mcintosh C50.

I think i would be better off, leaving the Rotel to do the job of AV functions ( it does it well) and get a separate amp to work with the preamp for my 2 channel, like a Mcintosh 402 or like...

Thought i could utilize existing gear rather than add more to my collection.

Thanks for feedback.

John

I am confused. Why would a better preamp help if you are still trying to use the amps in the Rotel?  

You might just consider getting a better AVR or pre-pro + power amp for all your stereo and HT uses.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am told that the preamp in an AV receiver "colors" the sound as it has all sorts of built in surround modes etc.

So to improve the sound a better preamp to bypass the AV receiver preamp would work but still utilize its amp section.

It appears that I cannot do that with the setup I have. As mentioned, it would be best to separate the two.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
doesn't your receiver have a "direct" mode? Yes, its called "bypass mode"
Quote:
Often times, the weakness of a surround receiver is in its stereo music reproduction. But with the RSX-1067, you don't need to worry about it. Its stereo performance was very respectable. If you have full-range front speakers, running it in bypass mode will give you the last bit of clarity that it is capable of delivering. But running stereo through its DSP network should not be a concern either. In fact, it might give you a better result if you run a combination of bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer, because you can control the bass redirection better.
Quote:
The top of the line RSX-1067 receiver is a solid performer that lives up to Rotel's reputation. Not only does this receiver deliver a high level of performance, but it is also an excellent value. It doesn't pack all the bells and whistles that most high-end receivers are equipped with today, but for the thing that matters most, which is producing high-quality surround sound for music and movies, this receiver passes with flying colors. For those of you who are still considering whether to go with a high-end receiver or a separate-component system, let me tell you this: the Rotel RSX-1067 is a receiver that can make you forget about separates. That's how good it is. Highly recommended!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/rotel-rsx-1067-receiver-1-2005.html

Afro GT
post #10 of 15 Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The top of the line RSX-1067 receiver is a solid performer that lives up to Rotel's reputation. Not only does this receiver deliver a high level of performance, but it is also an excellent value. It doesn't pack all the bells and whistles that most high-end receivers are equipped with today, but for the thing that matters most, which is producing high-quality surround sound for music and movies, this receiver passes with flying colors. For those of you who are still considering whether to go with a high-end receiver or a separate-component system, let me tell you this: the Rotel RSX-1067 is a receiver that can make you forget about separates. That's how good it is. Highly recommended!

" It doesn't pack all the bells and whistles that most high-end receivers are equipped with today," and that was in 2005!  It is even more dated 8 years later.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

The Bypass mode certainly works to make 2 channel audio sound better. However, as Kal said it is older and i feel that it was designed to perform at a particular "price point level"....if that is the way to term...
With the upgrade to a far better speaker than i was using before, it is showing its limitations. However, it still is GREAT for HT functions.
As i said, i wanted/hoped to bypass the Rotel preamp, go with a better preamp and use the Rotel amp power of 2x120.
But it appears if you bypass a HT receivers preamp, then you lose its HT functions. Thought there was a way around that.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
The Bypass mode certainly works to make 2 channel audio sound better. However, as Kal said it is older and i feel that it was designed to perform at a particular "price point level"....if that is the way to term...

Wasn't that receiver $2000?

Afro GT
post #13 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Around $3000 at the time of purchase a few years ago..

So do you agree with...

"As i said, i wanted/hoped to bypass the Rotel preamp, go with a better preamp and use the Rotel amp power of 2x120. But it appears if you bypass a HT receivers preamp, then you lose its HT functions. Thought there was a way around that"

And i will have to go get another amp to make this all work?
post #14 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

Reply to ArnyK....

I purchased Kef Reference 203/2 thinking that the Rotel was up to the job. But it is not.

Based on what?
post #15 of 15 Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
This is the normal way to use a HT bypass in a stereo preamp - most people will use a stereo preamp like this with an external stereo amplifier for stereo listening (along with a multi-channel AVR for the surround decoding and powering the rest of the speakers for multi-channel listening):

1. Connect all multi-channel digital inputs to the AVR (HDMI, coax, toslink, etc)
2. Connect all speakers EXCEPT L/R main directly to AVR
3. Connect AVR L/R main outputs (RCA preamp outputs) to stereo preamp HT bypass input
4. Connect all stereo analog inputs to the stereo preamp (CD player, DAC, etc)
5. Connect stereo preamp L/R outputs to stereo amplifier inputs and connect L/R main speakers to amp

When listening to analog stereo sources connected to the stereo preamp, only turn on the source, preamp and amplifier and use the volume control on the preamp. This is a minimal system with the cleanest possible signal without going through an AVR (which supposedly contains noisy digital electronics, tuner, etc sharing the preamp power supply). The goal is to use a high quality analog preamp to decrease the noise floor and a more powerful amplifier to increase power to the main speakers for stereo listening.

When listening to multi-channel digital sources connected to the AVR, turn on the source, preamp, amplifier, and the AVR. Engage the preamp HT bypass to pass signals unaltered through it (bypasses the volume control). Use your AVR as the control center to set channel levels and volume.

If your stereo preamp doesn't have a HT bypass, you can connect the AVR to one of the stereo preamp's analog inputs (say Tape 1) and set the stereo preamp's volume control to a known / repeatable location like 0dB so that your multi-channel balance is maintained between listening sessions. Just be careful to turn the volume back down before switching to any other input!

You asked if you could use the AVR's amplifiers instead of an external amp. Yes, if your AVR had preamp inputs, but that would defeat the whole point of using a "better" preamp. If the preamp section of the AVR was actually a problem (because it was low quality? or too noisy?), then sending your "better" preamp signals into the AVR would likely give identical results. This is why most don't believe this is going to change anything and are going to dismiss this entire post.

Many will argue there is no advantage. In my system switching from an AVR to much higher quality separates, all balanced connections and an amplifier with very low distortion I could hear a noticeably lower noise floor and more detail - not a "night and day" difference but I could hear it (yes, it was a sighted comparison and no DBT - so take it at face value).

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors