marantz 7701 pre pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey there, I've recently acquired a new Marantz 7701 pre pro and I'm having trouble getting sacds to play both from my old sony multi-disk cd dvd sacd palyer as well as a newer and presumably much better Music Hall cd/sacd player. CDs and dvds will play from the Sony, but not sacds (they did with my old NAD receiver, so its not the sony). With the Music Hall, neither works. There's no HDMI output on either, so I've tried using both digital coax and optical with the Sony to no avail,,, only the component and analog audio connection works. The Music Hall does not work with either digital coax or analog connection. With regular CDs and analog connections, the Music Hall works. I'm sure I've got the inputs assigned correctly in the Marantz. Could it be that the Marantz will only read SACD through HDMI? Will a Digital coax to hdmi cable work? Any other ideas?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 113
SACD will only play thru an analog connection or HDMI. This is,
I believe a form of copyright protection.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

SACD will only play thru an analog connection or HDMI. This is,
I believe a form of copyright protection.

Exactly.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Doesn't work through analog, but I'll see if I can get a digi coax to HTML cable. What do you all
think? Does such a cable exist? Should I fork out big bucks for a really high quality cable or go basic? I've seen hd coax cables going from 10 to $300..
post #5 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc12 View Post

Doesn't work through analog, but I'll see if I can get a digi coax to HTML cable. What do you all
think? Does such a cable exist? Should I fork out big bucks for a really high quality cable or go basic? I've seen hd coax cables going from 10 to $300..

Sorry I don't think that will work. You can try if you want though.
You need to check your settings on your Music Hall player, sounds
Like something is amiss there. It should play SACD thru analog...period.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Liked: 44
The player itself will only output SACD audio through the analog connections on the back due to copyright issues. It won't matter if you purchase any sort of adapter. You might also need to check your set up menu on your player itself as well. I have a Denon DVD-Audio/SACD player but have listened to probably three albums in the past ten years because I simply do not have the time to sit down and listen to something. All of my listening is done in my car or at work. If you really want to listen to SACD you should pony up the money for a newer player which also plays blu-ray discs (e.g., Marantz, Oppo, etc.).
post #7 of 12 Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want to check the -input assign- on your Marantz and make sure
It is set-up for analog where you have the Music Hall plugged in.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all, I've now got the music hall CD now performing through the Marantz with inputs set to analogue setting, not auto. I guess I had assumed that "auto" setting would recognise that its connected through analogue (for now). I've got a high quality 75 ohm digital coax cable on order, which should increase sond quality further. Even as is, with upsampling, I'm hearing subtleties in those CDs I didn'tknow existed. My main speakers are AWESOME B&O Beolab 3s, with 250w ICE amps within... 2/3 retail price off ebay... these are truely amazing little speakers consisitng of a sphere with four sides trucated, and upward firing dome tweeter surmounted with aluminum acoustic lens, they have huge power reserves, amazingly deep soundstage, and clarity, yet very flat response, and being B&O, quality of detailing, materials and appearance are second to none. Side speakers are the Beolab 8000 organ-pipe shaped towers, also very impressive with high quality sources (the new Marantz, a B&O 1984 linear tracking turntable with cartridge from Soundsmith), and for now, I'm using circa 1977 "Large New Advent" speakers, that I've had since then- refoamed of course, as subs, powered by an ADCOM amp. They're hidng behind my couch, and produce pretty impressive low ends, fast, punchy
(have crossover set to 80). Question: could I use a splitter RCA jack and run the advents simultaneously as subs and rear speakers?
post #9 of 12 Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
^^
Yup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I've aquired a new high quality 75 ohm digital coax cable. I disconnected the analogue cables from my Music Hall SACD, and connected the coax to coax 1 on the Marantz. It works (and sounds) great with regular CDS, BUT WONT PLAY SACDs... driving me crazy. SACDs played with the analogue connection. Any thoughts?
post #11 of 12 Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

SACD's will only play via HDMI or analog cables...NO coax or optical!

Also see post #2 on this thread (again)
post #12 of 12 Old 09-14-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks, I was holding out hope that it might work with a higher quality coax cable, but you're right (sorry for doubting!). It really is odd that a higher quality source will only work through a lower quality input. I wonder why the Marantz manual doesn't mention this- I imagine their are many others who assumed it would play sacd through digital connections.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Av7701 Audio Video Preamp Processor
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page