Amp for TIC GS3 in Russound multi-zone system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have a Russound CAA66 multi-zone amplifier, and currently have one outdoor zone (deck area) which has a pair of Polk Atrium 4's. The CAA66 outputs 40W per zone, which I've found to be adequate for my needs and the Atriums.

The pool area is lower than the deck, and I have to turn the volume on the deck way up to get music down there. I've ordered two TIC GS3 outdoor in-ground speakers. They are rated at 125W RMS/200W max. I ordered them from Amazon, and there was a comment on there about needing a decent amount of power for these.

My questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience running these at ~20W each?

2) It's easy enough to add an external amp, as the CAA66 has two zones with line level outputs. My only concern is this.... each zone has a wall-mounted control for source selection and volume control. With an external amp, is there any way to have the Russound wall control regulate the volume on the external amp, or do I need to add a separate control for that? I'd prefer to keep it as simple as possible, due to the low technical tolerance of certain people who use this setup...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed TIC to ask their opinion on 20W per channel for the GS3's, and received the following response:
Quote:
20W p.channel is acceptable although care should taken not to loose that power through “resistance down the line.” This is done by ensuring the use of the correct outdoor speaker cable gauge; 14/2 up to about 75’ and 12/2 near or beyond that distance.

So I think I'll try it with just the CAA66 at first - though it might be tough to get 12 gauge into those speaker connectors.

I went back to read the CAA66 manual, and realized I overlooked something important - Zones 1 & 2, which have both RCA line-level and regular amplified speaker outputs, also have a switch that toggles between "Fixed" and "Variable". I had previously assumed that in the fixed position, a signal was output to the RCA jacks only, and in the variable position, to the speaker connection only. Not so - that's what I get for assuming...
The CAA sends a signal to both the RCA & speakers, fixed/variable just affects what kind of signal. This makes things a bit easier, I hope - I could connect an external amp, leave the volume on the external amp at a suitable fixed position, and leave the switch set to variable output.

I'd really appreciate a recommendation for an amp - relatively inexpensive, only need one input, 2 channels at ~100W? Also the CAA has a 12v trigger out... do any basic amps have a trigger in so that the external amp would only be on when the CAA is on?

Thanks again
post #3 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

...bump...
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update... I ended up purchasing an AudioSource AMP 110 (2x75W) for the TIC GS3's. Huge difference! Amp has a trigger input that mates with the Russound trigger, so it only powers on when necessary. Also noticed a great improvement when I switched my ~120' runs from 14/2 to 12/2
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Tic Gs 3 150 Watt Outdoor In Ground Speaker

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page