No sound from Denon AVR-790 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I see several people have had this problem before, but the solutions I have found here and on other web sites do not seem to be fixing the issue. Our AVR-790 was working great one night, then the next morning, there was no sound coming from any of the speakers regardless of the volume level. For every input, the video works perfectly, but no audio comes from the speakers.

Here are the things I have tried:

1. Clean out the headphone jack. I plugged and unplugged a set of headphones. Blew out any dust, and cleaned it out with some Deoxit. I do not get the “H/P Input On” on the display, but I thought I would try this anyway.

2. Tried Zone 2. I changed over to Zone 2 for one of the speakers and powered it on, but there was no volume.

3. Reset the microprocessor. I went through the procedure described in the manual, but it had no affect. The display on the receiver shows "dig" and not "ana", so the problem doesn't sound quite like what some others have described.

4. I have tried all of the inputs and all of the cables, but all connections and cables are properly seated and none of the cables appear to be faulty. I tried pluggin them directly into the TV and that works, so I know the devices are properly sending an audio signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any fuses that can be checked? Is is possible that an amp is bad inside the box? If so, is there a way to check it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Does this apply just to HDMI sources or digital and analog as well? Do you get audio with the headphones plugged in? How many speakers are connected?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

It applies to all inputs, not just HDMI. I do hear soundthr the heaspheadphones when they are plugged in. There are currently 2 side front, one center speaker and a sub connected. None of them get any sound.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 AM
585-645-1006

Try a few more microprocessor resets (in succession) and if still no joy, as the unit is likely well out of warranty, pop the top and check for any blown fuses. Anything beyond that (eg. amp failure) is likely to cost at least $200 to repair which in that case you would be better served putting that towards are more current model that would also bring you networking.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I did a few more resets and checked all of the fuses I could find... No luck. Is there any way to check the amp or other components?
post #6 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
what does the front panel display indicate?
post #7 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture

I
post #8 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

ok... thanks. I don't have the rcvr but most receivers have indication for the output.... in terms of speakers "identified". I can see that the input is being recognized along with what the system processing is wanting to do with it but I don't see any indication for your speaker configuration. My guess is they have been "removed". Do you / does it have test tones? What happens? what is audyssey telling you about the speakers that it is "seeing"? Probably nothing if there is no sound output... right? You can make manual speaker configuration checks and changes.... what are those menus saying?
post #9 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I connected the setup mic but can't access the audyssey setup in the menus. Not sure why. I don't have surround speakers set up so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll try to check that in the mean time.

I could not find anything in the menus saying speakers have been removed. I set the speakers all to "small" to make sure the receiver knew that they were there but no luck. I was able to change the audio source from "amp" to "tv" and sound now passes through the receiver to the TV. Not sure if that helps diagnose at all.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM
585-645-1006

Audyssey works on a 2.0 setup.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir1119 View Post

I connected the setup mic but can't access the audyssey setup in the menus. Not sure why. I don't have surround speakers set up so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll try to check that in the mean time.

I could not find anything in the menus saying speakers have been removed. I set the speakers all to "small" to make sure the receiver knew that they were there but no luck. I was able to change the audio source from "amp" to "tv" and sound now passes through the receiver to the TV. Not sure if that helps diagnose at all.

I guess the question is why isn't the auto setup available to you thru the menus???? what is displayed when you try? hopefully you are first getting to the "auto setup" in the "main menu" (ie. 3) and then proceeding from there. IF that isn't happening, it is likely that your unit has a signficant operating system "error".... maybe.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Option 3 isn't available at all in the menus. It is just a blank line between 2 and 4 where audyssey should be. I used it a few years ago when I first got the receiver.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't sound good.... not sure if the unit can be "reflashed" with a new operating system but it might be an option. I am sure that JDsmoothie will likely have a further comment.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 AM
585-645-1006

Sorry, but no ... nothing more to say beyond my post #4 response. frown.gif

post #15 of 19 Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir1119 View Post

Hello all. I see several people have had this problem before, but the solutions I have found here and on other web sites do not seem to be fixing the issue. Our AVR-790 was working great one night, then the next morning, there was no sound coming from any of the speakers regardless of the volume level. For every input, the video works perfectly, but no audio comes from the speakers.

Here are the things I have tried:

1. Clean out the headphone jack. I plugged and unplugged a set of headphones. Blew out any dust, and cleaned it out with some Deoxit. I do not get the “H/P Input On” on the display, but I thought I would try this anyway.

.... an audio signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Are there any fuses that can be checked? Is is possible that an amp is bad inside the box? If so, is there a way to check it?

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't look like your unit can be readily "reflashed"... :-( Anyways, back up a bit.... about your comment on the "H/P input on" not showing on the display. Does it / is there any display indicating a headphone even when you plug one in???? I didn't see anything in the manual. Basically how do you know it doesn't "think" you have H/P plugged in???? One last thing, do you actually use the headphone jack? I suspect that it is likely your problem based on my playing with my denon.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

Anyways, back up a bit.... about your comment on the "H/P input on" not showing on the display. Does it / is there any display indicating a headphone even when you plug one in???? I didn't see anything in the manual. Basically how do you know it doesn't "think" you have H/P plugged in???? One last thing, do you actually use the headphone jack? I suspect that it is likely your problem based on my playing with my denon.

Good question. I tested it out and there is nothing on the display when the headphones are plugged in. I just assumed that it should be based on some other posts.
post #17 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

ok... then if you want to try fix this, you will likely have to "break in" to the box. Either meter / "inspect" the connection or do a "snip, snip" / unsolder the wiring therein. Basically, on my denon (not the same model), the audyssey display goes away along with most of the "speaker output boxes"...... which is kind of like your panel display... basically telling you that you have no outputs.... but as you indicate I do see a "momentary" "H/P INPUT ON" message..... BUT that message is only momentary and if you "miss" it, it doesn't appear to be shown again even when you depower the unit. Anyways, that's my take.

Further, IF you don't get the "H/P input on" display coming on when you actually plug in, then in all likelihood, that is because the unit already "thinks" it has a headphone input (ie. no state change).
post #18 of 19 Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have some time this weekend, and think I'll try to override the headphones. As of right now, the only thing I would know to do is snip it, as you mentioned. Any better methods anyone would suggest before I do this?
post #19 of 19 Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM

I am having the exact same problem from my 790 receiver. I've tried blowing and cleaning out the headphone jack with no luck. I get no audio from the TV, auxiliary (mp3),etc.

The biggest difference that I've noticed since it stopped working is that when the receiver used to switch to exterior speakers (watching TV) there would be a loud click sound. Now the click is much quieter. I'm guessing that it has to do with the switch, but idk. Did you ever find a fix or am I doomed?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr790 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page