Help me pick a new A/V Receiver wirth Costco 100% Satsisfaction Guarantee questions.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, time to update my set up! I currently have a Frankenstein system with a mix of speakers and an old but still AMAZING Sherwood RVD 6090R (12 years old!) and I really want a decent value receiver that will or at least SHOULD last me along time.

I don't want to have to replace for at least Five years as I like to get my moneys worth and don't like to buy junk even if it IS cheap.

So, I've already pretty much ruled out Onkyo as being too junky and unreliable.

My needs are simple...

1. 5.1 Audio with all HD Audio processing (7.1 will certainly be considered but not needed)
2. GOOD power as I am planning on getting the Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set up and they need to be driven pretty well for best sound at 6 ohms. HONEST power ratings at 5.1 are most appreciated.
3. LOTS of inputs including component as we have LOTS of stuff connected.
4. If possible one cable HDMI out with upconversion for easy connectivity to TV. Wanted but can live without
5. Good price or at least bang for buck!

Considering the Sony STR-DN1040 right now which I can't BELIEVE because I always found their offerings to be overpriced and not too good in Receivers for the last 15 years at the lower price points.

Some concerns about issues in that model though so I wonder if it is worth it for me to try to get a Costco membership and buy a receiver there as they are supposed to have the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee...

Does anyone know on that guarantee if you have to maintain the membership forever? Like if it craps out in three years and I don't have a current membership can I still get the guarantee?

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
For what it's worth, Yamaha receivers seem to be the most trouble-free (at least based on people's complaints about the various brands on these board). Denon is also reliable. Costco sells both brands.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

For what it's worth, Yamaha receivers seem to be the most trouble-free (at least based on people's complaints about the various brands on these board). Denon is also reliable. Costco sells both brands.

Thanks for that! Those are definitely two names I am considering but I need some clarification for you or others...

How do I know if a Receiver can handle or power 4 Ohm speakers? Most of the ones I am looking at just say 8 Ohm!

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Which models of receivers specifically? I have a Yamaha RX-V473, which is the second-to-lowest level model, and it will handle 6 ohms.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtroitPunk View Post

How do I know if a Receiver can handle or power 4 Ohm speakers? Most of the ones I am looking at just say 8 Ohm!

They can all handle 4 ohms. With 4 ohm speakers you won't be able to crank the volume as loud as you would with 8 ohm speakers. It's true with all receivers regardless if they state they support 4 ohms or not. Some receivers have an ohm switch and all it does is limit the current you can pass to the speakers.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Which models of receivers specifically? I have a Yamaha RX-V473, which is the second-to-lowest level model, and it will handle 6 ohms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

They can all handle 4 ohms. With 4 ohm speakers you won't be able to crank the volume as loud as you would with 8 ohm speakers. It's true with all receivers regardless if they state they support 4 ohms or not. Some receivers have an ohm switch and all it does is limit the current you can pass to the speakers.

I was wrong anyways! I only need 6 Ohm as I am considering the Andrew Jones Pioneers. So I guess I would be fine with almost any receiver yes?

post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtroitPunk View Post

I was wrong anyways! I only need 6 Ohm as I am considering the Andrew Jones Pioneers. So I guess I would be fine with almost any receiver yes?

My advice is to completely ignore anything ohm related. it will only confuse you. It's only an issue if you're cranking the receiver to clipping levels.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Rvd 6090r 325 Watt Dolby Digital Receiver , Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver , Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page