Sherbourn SR-120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
eek.gif

My wife could barely carry it into the house! At similar claimed specs to the 2113 it replaced, it weighs almost 4 times as much.

Let me first say, the sound quality at "normal" listening is improved IMHO over the 2113. The clarity was the first thing the wife noticed. The 2113 did sound nice but as I started to turn up the volume clarity started to get lost in almost anything except classical.

When the 2113 was working and I was using it, it got played at half to 3/4 volume. Much anything above, like I said clarity was lost and nothing was gained in the space it was filling. The 2113 had the neat internet feature but I can live w/o that.

I set everything up using the auto set up and comparing the 2113 it replaced and a temp sony I used I was very surprised at how much better the sound quality was.

But, the 1st thing I noticed was the lack of clarity from my left tower. It puzzled me as I hadn't noticed it with either the 2113 or when using the Sony. If I stood right next the to speaker, playing a song on loop, it was obvious going back and forth between both towers, something was wrong.

So, after 30 mins of swapping wiring, checking connections etc.. it appears the tweeter on one of my towers is dead. I hadn't noticed it until the SR-120 was hooked up and running. I have no idea if it was DOA or the 2113 shutting down somehow did it.

I"ll admit, I'd be the first guy to say that one AVR to another won't produce any difference in sound but I stand corrected. Set up was simple but the ability to fine tune each input/output is nice and it works w/ our Mac.

One thing I forgot to mention is now the bass is much fuller in both movies and music. I noticed this last night listening to some classical and again to day when watching MIB.

Congrats to anyone who got one on sale, enjoy.

Still a stereo Noob, Denon 2113 w/ Arx5 & A1b surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 19
that was a sweet deal and the power amp in it is righteous. I bought two SR8100's and then they added these to the clearance sale. I love the 8100 but could have benefitted from the bigger amp in the 120.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No doubt, it was cheaper than many of the so called popular name brands. It was cheaper than the Marantz 5007 which I was eyeing but was more than I wanted to spend. At 70+lbs it is obvious there is some solid materials in the SR-120. I'd take it apart to look but I'm chicken-sh$t and I'd likely break something. The $ was just too good to pass up.

The clarity between the SR-120, the 2113CI and my temp Sony was night and day. One thing that stood out immediately is how both how much clearer the music sounds and the bass has more punch and depth. The A5 tower isn't boomy or a bass monster by any stretch of the imagination but it is a very solid adult speaker that sounds good by itself but IMHO is better served w/ a powered sub for those wanting more bass in a very large room. We watched a few movies this weekend and the sound improvement was apparent even when I watched Bad Boys, again. We watched that and True Lies a few weeks ago and on the SR-120 the difference it obvious.
The SR-120 originally retailed for $3k IIRC and even at the current pre-closeout price of $1999 it is 3-4 x's the cost of the 2113. Half volume in my 20x40 room is plenty loud using just the towers and using all 5 ARX the room fills out nicely. The mids and highs are spot on and I couldn't have asked for a better situation but the 20x40 room does make for some areas that are void of bass. Sitting at the couch things are fine so I have no complaints there. In the back half workout area the bass is a bit lacking but I can live w/ that. A few steps left, right, back or forth changes that but as I've been told to have full solid bass in that room size, dedicated powered subs will be necessary.

I think the 8100 would suit 95% of the population, esp at the price it was sold. I was stuck on pricing due to budget and I'm so thankful the SR-120 went on sale if not I'd still be shopping or be stuck w/ something of lesser quality.

Still a stereo Noob, Denon 2113 w/ Arx5 & A1b surrounds.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Sr 120 Av 7 1 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page