Home Theater Setup w/ Receiver- First Timer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just moved into my new home and have questions about the best way to setup my home theater system. This is the only project I really care about in the house as my wife is taking care of all the other normal boring stuff.

The house came pre-wired for 5.1 in the living room and has two outdoor speakers also wired up that comes out in the front of the living room with the rest. My plan was to hook up surround sound and use a receiver to handle all my components.

Equipment:

TV- Vizio M-Series 70inch
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2 (was hoping to use Zone 2 for the outdoor speakers)
Speakers: Polk TL1600

Samsung Blu-Ray
Apple TV
ATT Uverse Cable Box

Harmony One Remote (to control everything... hopefully)

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to best set it up. A guy that came out and looked at installing the speakers for me hooked everything into the tv and then did the audio optical cable to the receiver. Is this the best way to do it? I've noticed online that most people run everything into the receiver and then just one HDMI cord from the receiver to the TV (ARC?).

What is the best setup to maximize the audio and video? Also to be able to watch sports inside while having music playing on the outside speakers (I believe that is possible)?

Sorry for being such a n00b, but I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Connect all your components to your AVR, then run an HDMI connection from AVR to TV.

(If you connect all your components to your TV and then run an HDMI cable from your TV to your AVR, ARC will get the audio from the TV to the AVR.)

If your AVR has appropriate Zone 2 capability, you can use that to power your outdoor speakers while you enjoy different content indoors.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Most TVs only forward stereo from the devices connected to them, so connecting everything to the receiver is the better option. Similarly, most send only stereo over ARC, so if you'll be using your TV's "smart" network services like Netflix, run an optical audio connection from the TV to the receiver so it will transmit 5.1 surround sound when it's provided. (Most network services are only stereo. frown.gif )

Check the TV's manual to see if it says anything about what its ARC implementation provides. I can't find any mention of it online.

Selden
post #4 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 14
I use ARC for the the smart apps on my tv(Netflix, Amazon). It sends full 5.1 back to the receiver thru the hdmi.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 323
wader,

Exactly what TV model do you have?

Selden
post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 14
Vizio E601i-A3.

A lot folks will recommend hooking up the optical cable instead of using the HDMI ARC function, but I like turning on everything with 1 remote.

It definitely sends full 5.1 surround using the Netflix and Amazon apps.

btw. The receiver is the Yamaha rx-v673....so very similar to your setup
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Polk Audio Tl1600 Speaker System , Samsung Blu Ray Player , Apple Tv Mc572ll A
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page