high temperature on the yamaha amplifier RX-V673 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i bought a month ago the yamaha AV rxv673 amplifier,and after an hour of non stop operation ,i noticed on the top metal cover of the device high temperature,at the point that i couldnt touch it more that three seconds,i went to the authorized service in my city,and the technician who examine the devise addmited that the temperature was indeed high,and he sent the device in the main service in Athens,to repair it,from the service in Athens said to me that the amplifier is ok and its function with that temperature is normal...and of course is not possible to change it with another i am not sure if they are telling the truth...i d like to know from another owner of the same model,or from someone who has technical knowledge...if he noticed the same thing.... or if its normal
thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
What is the impedance of your speakers?

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

the impendance is 6 ohms, the speakers are the nx-e130 yamaha also
post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
the impendance is 6 ohms, the speakers are the nx-e130 yamaha also

If you have configured your yammy to run them @ 6 ohms, your avr will run hot. Couple it with low efficiency (86dB), you will have to crank your avr hard to get them to reference volume. All this adds up to yammy getting hot.

Try changing the speakers impedance to 8ohms in avr and then check if it still gets hot.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

What is the impedance of your speakers?

What is the temperature as measured, and what does the ventilation around it look like?

The device of choice for measuring the temperature of electronics is a non-contact (IR) thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Cen-Tech-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B001NR2GW4
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

If you have configured your yammy to run them @ 6 ohms, your avr will run hot. Couple it with low efficiency (86dB), you will have to crank your avr hard to get them to reference volume. All this adds up to yammy getting hot.

Try changing the speakers impedance to 8ohms in avr and then check if it still gets hot.

Changing the impedance setting in an AVR only limits the maximum current that can be sent to the speakers. Changing from 6 ohm to 8 ohm will allow more maximum current to the speakers. It won't effect the temperature at a given volume level.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

i ll find one ir thermometer and i ll tell the exact number of degrees on the surface of the unit and around it
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 13
IMO, if it's too hot to touch, it's too hot period. Electronics and heat do not make a good pair. Even if it is operating within "spec", my guess is that the components will fail sooner. Some of the space requirements I've seen border on the ridiculous - 8 inches front, back, and sides in some cases. There are few AV racks that will acomodate these dimensions (and I looked hard...) assuming the receiver itself is 4-5 inches high to begin with. I had similar problems with a Denon 1913 to the point where I'm pretty sure I could have cooked an egg on it after a two hour movie. I changed speakers (mine were old and had other issues) to much more efficient models and that helped some (higher efficiency = more volume at less power) but what really did the trick was investing in a $10.00 USB fan. I got a dual-fan unit and simply placed them on the top of the 1913 - I have about 4-5 inches clearance on top and more than that on the sides plus my stand/rack is totally open. The fans are only a little over 1/2 inch tall and the difference they made really surprised me. Turns out you don't have to move a lot of air to make a BIG difference. I can now blast movies at near reference levels and the receiver remains cool to the touch throughout. I guess I could have run it hot and been within operating tolerance, but for a few bucks, why take the chance?

Good luck!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page