What do I need to make this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had to get a new receiver to use in my one room that will run some surround speakers but I need a source signal to see the the menu etc. The pj is hooked up to a computer too which is where I watch most of my videos from. No DVD or Bluray hooked up yet but will in the future. I have an older projector that has component and DVI and composite inputs. I had used a composite input in the past to view the menu from my older receiver but the new one I got won't send it out of composite to view the menu. I kind of know what I need but wanted to make sure. Do I need to get an HDMI to component converter to make this work? Ex. use a small HDMI cable out to converter and then run component cables up to the pj? Any ideas? Does what I said make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
It might help if you list the make & model of your new receiver and of the video card you're using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-823K. The video card is an XFX 7870.
post #4 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
I mis-read your initial post, but I see what you're saying now. (Sorry for any confusion.) Yes, since the 823 doesn't output the OSD via its composite Monitor Out output, you'll need either:
- an HDMI-to-component (or composite) converter (see monoprice.com); or
- a cheap, HDMI-equipped TV to use as a monitor. (These days, 19" TVs can be had for well under $100.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, an HDMI to component converter will work. Great. An HDMI cable, converter, and component cables are cheaper than $100 by a bit so that may be the route I go. Thanks for confirming what I thought.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In "general", converting hdmi to analog anything out is basically not "sanctioned" by the hdmi organization for various reasons. As a result, most converters tend to get removed from "public listing" at various sites.... not trying to push any agenda, more an information level to perhaps rethink your needs either in terms of "haste" or possibly that "said unit" may not perform as you would expect. Of course, the more likely option is an hdmi to dvi connection which will likely work fine (if I understand your setup)

PS. I don't think monoprice breaks the "rules" on this hdmi issue.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeborgdot View Post

I had to get a new receiver to use in my one room that will run some surround speakers but I need a source signal to see the the menu etc. The pj is hooked up to a computer too which is where I watch most of my videos from. No DVD or Bluray hooked up yet but will in the future. I have an older projector that has component and DVI and composite inputs. I had used a composite input in the past to view the menu from my older receiver but the new one I got won't send it out of composite to view the menu. I kind of know what I need but wanted to make sure. Do I need to get an HDMI to component converter to make this work? Ex. use a small HDMI cable out to converter and then run component cables up to the pj? Any ideas? Does what I said make sense.

There are such things as HDMI to DVI converters plugs or cables. Most places that sell HDMI and DVI cables have them for under $10. For video, DVI-D and HDMI are pretty similar. This way your video stays in the digital domain.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I already have the DVI port on the PJ used. It will have to be component that we need. I have a DVI from the computer already using it.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

well then perhaps a hdmi switch would be in your best interest.... allowing two "inputs" to use one output which would then go to your projector.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know I can find one, but do you have any special ones in mind? I will go on and look but just want your take. Thanks.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #12 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
post #13 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Or is there an adapter I can use to switch the DVI I have coming into my projector to component? Then all I would have to do is get one cable an HDMI to DVI for the other one.
post #14 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

There are dvi to component converters.... different "rules"..... and will probably work for your "plan". However, you are still likely to have an issue going forward with the hdmi -> dvi plug/cable.... due to hdmi hdcp implementations. Welcome to the wonderful world of hdmi. Last bit of advice.... of course, where ever you purchase things from, understand their return policy (including shipping costs if any).... :-)

I may have "mispoke" about hdcp with respect to dvi... it appears that the interface also has hdcp implementation. But my comment on "return policy" still holds true.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, what would you do?
post #16 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I would go with a switch (and associated plugs, ie hdmi <-> dvi).... monoprice has a few switches along with others. Most have remotes so that they can be controlled with a universal remote if need be. 3X1 are pretty cheap (~$20 or less). In the long term, your projector may be an issue with a digital input as I now remember seeing posts (various places) where people have had hdcp issues with DVI, which was kind of a "forerunner" in the digital world.... some implementation don't support any hdcp, which may be true of your present computer output (check your specs there).
post #17 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't go with a switch of hdmi to dvi. I need it to go to component because that is what the pj has left for a connector. It needs to be hdmi to component.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you understand (or maybe I don't).... you feed one input (hdmi) from your receiver and another input (dvi /hdmi plug) from your computer. You then take the ONE output and send it to your projector's dvi input (via a hdmi/dvi plug). Further, there are some switches which take in dvi, hdmi, and component on seperate plugs and out on hdmi which would reduce the number of plug converters needed.

Further, why don't you just feed your computer into your receiver and use it as a switch???? maybe I misunderstand what you actually need to view at any given instance.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, I now see what you were trying to say. Can you shoot me a link as to which one you recommend? I will look in the meantime and see if I see what you are talking about.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

"basic" 3X1 switch.... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2
"fancier converter" switch ... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8145&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, I would try out the "route everything thru your receiver" first by getting a dvi/hdmi converter plug and then a converter plug on the ohter side to get the output into your projector and see if that does what you need.... and go from then. Cost is then minimal.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

"basic" 3X1 switch.... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8462&seq=1&format=2
"fancier converter" switch ... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8145&seq=1&format=2

Anyways, I would try out the "route everything thru your receiver" first by getting a dvi/hdmi converter plug and then a converter plug on the ohter side to get the output into your projector and see if that does what you need.... and go from then. Cost is then minimal.

Okay, for the switch I guess I am confused now. It has HDMI out. What good does that do me? I have a mental block right now I guess. What would I plug into the HDMI out besides an HDMI cable? Can you show me the connections I would make. Sometimes my visual side works better than my direction side.

So, you think I should try the scenario I talked about before where I go hdmi to dvi plug and then the dvi to component cable route or HDMI to DVI plug to DVI to Component plug to component cable??? Sorry for my ignorance on this and I really appreciate your time trying to help me out. Thanks so much.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

ok. This is tougher than I thought.... :-)
take the output of your computer (DVI right) .... get an dvi to hdmi converter plug .... then use this plug to connect your computer to an hdmi input of your receiver via an hdmi cable. OK? You now have to connect your receiver to your projector. Take the hdmi output of your receiver and use either an hdmi -> dvi cable (if you have one) or use and hdmi cable and get an hdmi to dvi plug converter and then connect this into your projector. Result.... your PC is now connected to your projector thru your receiver. Any new devices that you buy, connect them up to your receiver and you are done. Your receiver IS a switch.

As for you confusion about the switch, I think you need to sit down and "breathe"... :-)
Look, an hdmi output allows you to plug in an hdmi cable. That cable can have an hdmi connector on both ends OR it can have an hdmi connector on ONE end and a DVI connector on the OTHER end.... in essence, it is a "converter" cable...... OR you can take an hdmi cable (with hdmi connectors on BOTH ends) and use an HDMI-> DVI converter PLUG to CONVERT the other end. It is basically the same thing.... you are going from HDMI -> DVI.... its basically that simple with a little "twist".... you have to worry about "SEX". As you know or should now that in the "normal world", "sex" works "best" between male and female. So as you make your connections, for instance, the FEMALE plug on your equipment must mate with a MALE plug on the cable and so on. That is the "birds and bees" of the electrical world. You have to follow this thru on your connection path from one end to the other.

End of lesson... :-)

oops not quite..... you CAN'T mix "species" readily. analog (COMPONENT) to digital (HDMI or DVI) works and is supported via electronic boxes / chipsets.... an example of that is likely your receiver which can take in analog video / audio signals and output digital signals on to an HDMI "creature". As I indicated, the reverse is basically against "industry nature", going HDMI to analog. Yes there are "unsanctioned"boxes that allow this in some form. I think the only "sanctioned" analog output is 480P.

Recess... :-)

OK.... thinking more on this. IF It is less likely that you will be playing / using content from your computer that is HDCP protected, then DVI -> component converters are readily available. Use one of these to move your computer signals from the DVI input on your projector to a component input. On the now empty DVI input, you can now plug in your receiver using a HDMI -> DVI converter plug.... OK? But note this only works when your computer plays / uses non-HDCP material.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have 2 mini DP on my card along with 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. Let's look at this. What if I did this? Use both mini DP ports and the HDMI. How could I get this to work? Could I take the setup I have and leave the hdmi going to hdmi in on monitor 1, mini DP adapter to HDMI to HDMI in on monitor 2, then take mini DP and use a mini DP to HDMI cable into the receiver in. Then take HDMI out with and HDMI cable into an HDMI to DVI converter (adapter) if there is such a thing?
If I use these connectors will I need an active adapter for anything. What I was planning on doing was to not use the receiver like you suggested but after looking at it more closely I like that setup better. With the other setup I was planning on using with the DVI I was going to have to use and active adapter to make the 3rd monitor work with DVI. Will I need any active adapter or anything like that to make it work with 3 monitors?

But all in all, will the setup I decided on of going through the receiver with one out of the mini DP work? Thanks again.
post #24 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

IF I understand, yep..... :-) not sure where all the monitors came from... :-) anyway, minidp converters (to hdmi) are active adapters. Anyways, if you basically stay in the digital world, you will likely be OK.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two computer monitors and on pj. I sometimes forget details. So DP to HDMI are active? Good. So all I need to get is a mini DP to HDMI cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter of some sort. I know what cable but what adapter do you suggest to be able to hook up to the DVI cable I already have? Would this be okay or do I need something else?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2081&seq=1&format=2
I just need to make sure my card (XFX 7870) will run 3 monitors at once and my card was supposed to be able to do that if I have an active adapter.
Woooo. It would just be easier to buy a new pj but this one is real nice and I want to keep it for a little while yet.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 823 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page