Can the Pioneer VSX-822-K push optical out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up a Pioneer VSX-822-K from amazon and am attempting to hook up a soundbar that connects over optical audio.

Is there a way to accomplish this? I have successfully located the optical port on the receiver, but am not having an luck getting audio out (maybe it's only an IN port?).

I know it's a weird setup, as usually you'd connect surround sound speakers etc to the receiver, but my thought was to have it primarily to do stand-alone airplay, without needing other devices besides the receiver powered up tongue.gif

Thanks in advance

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
The optical connection on that model of receiver is strictly for input, e.g. from a TV.

What model of soundbar do you have?
If it has analog connections (speaker binding posts), you can use them.
ryancurran likes this.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The optical connection on that model of receiver is strictly for input, e.g. from a TV.

What model of soundbar do you have?
If it has analog connections (speaker binding posts), you can use them.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am currently using a vsb200 by vizio, but should have this in the mail soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00945RAQY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you suggest going analog or finding a different receiver to accomplish what I (think) i want? (Another noob confession- not sure if analog/digital audio will make a difference in my setup)

Best
post #4 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Ryan,

I think I'd tend to recommend getting a different soundbar, if at all possible, one with speaker-level binding post inputs.

A kludge for your current receiver would be a speaker-level output to line-level output converter plus an RCA to mini-jack adapter cable. (Both are readily available.)

Unfortunately, with that particular soundbar, I fear you'll need to spend a lot more on a compatible receiver than would be appropriate. The inputs on that soundbar model seem to be limited to line-level stereo (using a stereo minijack) and digital inputs with coax and optical connections. It's really intended to connect directly to a TV and to a disc player without an intermediate receiver. You would need to get a receiver which has either a digital output (coax or optical) or which has front left/right preamp outputs. The preamp outputs on your current receiver are only for rear-surround, height-surround or wide-surround connections to external amplifiers.

There are some receivers which have digital outputs, but they're older (no longer made) or top-of-the-line models which are getting a lot harder to find because of the migration to HDMI by modern equipment. Similarly, front left/right preamp outputs, analog monitor outputs or zone 2 analog outputs tend to be in more expensive receiver models, too.

To be honest, soundbars really aren't going to be able to produce a sufficiently high enough quality of sound that you'll be able to tell the difference between an analog connection and a digital one. That distinction can be quite difficult even with high-end audio equipment and speakers.

I hope this helps a little.

Selden
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 822 K 400w 5 Channel A V Receiver Network Ready Pandora Ipod Iphone Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page