Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Yamaha Adds Slim Networked AVR
The $649-suggested RX-S600 networked A/V receiver is Yamaha’s first slim receiver.
Buena Park, Calif. –Yamaha will add its own product to the audio industry’s short list of slim A/V receivers (AVR) with the launch this month of the $649-suggested RX-S600 networked receiver.

The 5.1-channel AVR is only 4.4 inches tall compared with other Yamaha AVRs that are 6.75 inches tall. The receiver “can be placed just about anywhere due to its small size,” said Bob Goedken, GM of Yamaha’s A/V division. For networking, the receiver is equipped with Apple AirPlay, DLNA 1.5, Pandora, Spotify Connect and vTuner Internet radio. It’s also equipped with three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output with 3D and 4K passthrough, audio return channel, and standby-through mode so that users can listen to cable set-top boxes and other HDMI video sources through their TV speakers while the receiver is off. Also included are Mobile High-definition Link (MHL) HDMI input, two virtual-height channels, and Made for iPod/iPhone-iPad USB ports that accept Apple-device audio. The USB port also plays music from USB drives and MP3 players. Other key features include five HDMI inputs, one HDMI output, and decoding of MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC and WAV files. The receiver supports FLAC and WAV files up to 192kHz/24 bits. It also decodes Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD Master and DTS HD High Resolution surround-sound tracks.
The amp section is rated at 5x60 watts from 20Hz to 20kHz with 0.09 percent THD with two channels driven. The DACs on all channels are 192/24 Burr-Brown DACs. YPAO technology delivers automatic speaker setup and room-acoustics correction. The receiver can be used with an optional $99-suggested YWA-10 Wi-Fi adapter and $69 YBA-11 Bluetooth adapter.
Separately, Yamaha said it would make available Spotify Connect on 2013 network AVRs and a preamp processor. Spotify Connect is a technology developed by Internet music service Spotify to enable consumers to switch instantly from streaming Spotify on a smartphone to streaming Spotify through a home audio product.

Just my $0.05....👍😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What sort of amps is it using? Might be interesting but the MSRP on Yamaha's site is $600+ redface.gif

Boo!
post #3 of 12 Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 273
According to the Yamaha page it has discrete audio circuits that would mean likely conventional class A/B amps and lack of op amps also the heat sinks in the picture look like they would mount
conventional TO 3P output transistors or something similar could also be class G amp

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #4 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks - I found that literature, they did mention discrete analog amplification. Still, connectivity is much better compared to similar sized Pioneer receivers

Boo!
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

looks like nice set lotta folks like yammies I've never owned one personally I like the fact they use discrete amplifiers though .

The Soviet people feared the KGB was watching them through their TV's ........or listening to them through their radios, so they kept them turned off often when they wanted privacy .

Now the NSA/ DHS are in fact watching us with our computers cell phones surveillance cameras drones,satellites etc !
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have been looking for a while for slim receiver with 5.1 speaker support where I could use surrounds for zone 2 or bi-amping of my main speakers setting up my 3.1 configuration without a need for surrounds. Marantz was in the radar but being long time fan of Yamaha DSP modes, I welcomed S600 as the holy grail of my secondary HT setup.
Just received one this morning and cant wait to have it wired. Will share my experience shortly.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

cool!

post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdwa View Post

I have been looking for a while for slim receiver with 5.1 speaker support where I could use surrounds for zone 2 or bi-amping of my main speakers setting up my 3.1 configuration without a need for surrounds. Marantz was in the radar but being long time fan of Yamaha DSP modes, I welcomed S600 as the holy grail of my secondary HT setup.
Just received one this morning and cant wait to have it wired. Will share my experience shortly.

so man what have you been doing ? you are probably the first one on this planet that got this unit....a detailed review is necassary. Many of us fear and think that the S600 is nothing more than a yamaha 475...that costs 50% less
post #9 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post

Many of us fear and think that the S600 is nothing more than ...

It's actually the only Yamaha receiver currently on the planet with less... height by around 2 inches, which btw may be a deal maker for some like myself.

Haven't you noticed that?
post #10 of 12 Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
yeeeeaaa i did notice...it's just the fact that you did not mention you got the unit because of space issues...i then assumed you got it just because it was a new model...
anyhoo, what about that review biggrin.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Review is available here wink.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/products/yamaha-rx-s600-home-theater-receiver/reviews/4464

I focused on receiver functionality, connectivity and features mostly. I will update this review with audio and visual experience shortly.

10/15/2013 Update: Few Yamaha A/V Controller Android app screenshots:

Speakers Main control screen

Streaming MP3s from phone/tablet to receiver have never been so easy

Input selection screen

DSP Modes selection screen

Listening one of many internet radio stations from UK

Receiver configuration
post #12 of 12 Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 PM

TORN: Marantz NR1604 vs Yamaha RX-S600.

I have been pouring over the information I can find between these two slimline receivers and I'm torn.
They have so much in common but here's the comparisons I see:
Yamaha . . . . . . . . . . . Marantz
5.1. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.1
MHL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . —
Passes through 4K . . . . . . Upconverts to 4k
SCENES . . . . . . . . . . . . . Hide inputs
complex remote . . . . . . . . . . good, lit remote
multibrand remote . . . . . . . . . .just Marantz
good app . . . . . . . . . . . . . bad app
60wpc . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50wpc
more audio finesse . . . . . . . good audio reviews
— . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . web browser control

The specific use for this will be my "entertainment room" which does movies occasionally, but it also the music room for my kids- specifically my son who is somewhat autistic.

I used to have an all-in-one DVD/AM/FM receiver that was great. It died. Not able to be repaired. We tried.
It was good because no matter what was being done before it was turned off, my son could go in the entertainment room, press the play button, and the unit would turn itself on, switch inputs, and begin playing his CDs. Then he knew the one big knob was for volume.

There is nothing like that on the market today. I've spent months looking. Even purchased and sent back stuff.

So I've resigned myself to separates, and getting a DVD/CD player and a receiver to talk to each other (turn the receiver on when the DVD play button is pressed) MIGHT be possible, but I haven't found it. It's not a feature manufacturers promote any more as far as I can tell.

Also, the projector was wired component, in wall from the front of the room to the rear wall. So a receiver that has the ability to at least handle component in from a DVD/BluRay and output it to the projector is better than an HDMI-only unit (most things today) because good HDMI to component conversion (a nice new projector is not in the budget) is an additional cost and, based on reviews, someone tricky to come by.

So I've whittled it down to these two, non-monsterous looking, models. (Links to the Crutchfield pages above)
Key features I see are; the Yamaha has the "scenes" so that he could hopefully press one button on the receiver and it'll turn itself on and switch to CD. Then he can press play on the DVD player and it'll turn itself on and begin playing. Big knob on the right for volume. And I can go in to the unit menus and LIMIT the maximum volume. smile.gif

The Marantz, on the other hand, gets consistently better reviews on sound. It has a good remote for ME to use the few times I watch a movie on the system. And, in the long run, it upconverts to 4K, which is an inevitable format so it's nice to get that in here now and be done with it. But it's a bit trickier for him to get it going on his own- using the face of the radio alone- at this point in his life. (He's 4). It can limit the output volume, but only in two steps.

So, right now I'm leaning Yamaha, but wanted to get some additional feedback.

"Can you hear me now?"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx S600 Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page