Need Help: Yamaha RX-V473 HDMI video out problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,
I purchased a new Yamaha V-RX473 receiver last November. I currently have my Cable company DVR, Blu-Ray, and PS3 all connected to the receiver via HDMI in. I have one HDMI out from the receiver to my Panasonic TV (also new last November). Everything initially worked without problem until recently when for no obvious reason I would turn on the system and get only sound out of the Receiver. The TV would have a pink screen or say there is no signal. I understand this is most likely some issue the Receiver is having decoding the HDMI signal from my Cablebox and sending to the TV but why would this work sometimes and then suddenly fail?
I can use the same HDMI cable and go from the Cablebox to the TV and everything works fine. I have tried resetting the receiver and rebooting the Cablebox. While this actually did help solve the problem once before, it is not working now. I also replaced my old SciAtlanta DVR last week (for different reason) and upgraded to a new Samsung DVR.
Initially everything worked fine but we had a power outage today (only thing I know which could cause a problem) and then suddenly the video is not working again?! The DVR is working fine connected directly to the TV. Also, one other comment, the DVD player will not display either to the TV so clearly something is wrong with the Receiver HDMI OUT to the TV.
I appreciate any advice experts out there might have. After having this happen multiple times over the past year now, I am ready to throw out this somewhat new Yamaha receiver and try a different brand! Thanks up front!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Don't throw it out, the Yamaha comes with a 2 year warranty. You can still get it repaired.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 PM

Liked: 22
Confirm that it is the receiver, if necessary put a different one in its place. (got friends?) These days it is all about plug and play with devices, so swap out until you confirm that you have positively identified the failing device.

As for Yamaha, I've bought several. You might better criticizing “Inspector 43” since all the current products come out of a nameless factory in China. Inspector 43 is normally the person to blame since he/she was on a coffee break when your particular unit rolled past his/her (politically correct) inspection station.

But don't publicity criticize “Inspector 43” since it might unfortunately lead to him/her becoming a new organ donor in the PRC. Just accept the failures in the product, submit a warranty claim, and look forward to purchasing a new AVR in 3 years time.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #4 of 5 Old 10-16-2013, 11:44 AM

I have the same issue with my 473.  Video will cut out and show 'no source' while the audio goes on uninterrupted.  Issue doesnt happen using the same hdmi connected directly to my cable stb.  

Have you solved your issue?

post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Had the same problems repeatedly, regardless of the source selected on the receiver. Yamaha replaced the main board, and later replaced the HDMI board. I was still getting either "no source" message, or the video would continually cut in and out. I finally suspected the HDMI cable had something to do with it even though, like previous posters, all the HDMI cables worked fine directly from the cable box to the TV (Panasonic). I want to add that I previously had a Samsung TV and had exactly the same problems so I was certain it wasn't a TV issue..

Finally I bit the bullet and replaced the HDMI cable with a newer version and the problem disappeared. It seems to me there is some communication problem in the Yamaha software vis a vis older HDMI cables. Hope this may help my fellow sufferers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page