Visio TV + pioneer vsx-23txh + xbox 360 = HDMI FAIL I need help please. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I'm new so please bare with me. I grew up around pioneer receivers (my dad has had them all his life however stumped as well on this). I recently invested in buying a VSX-23TXH. Looks great. I'm new to these types of quality receivers. However, I can google and read a manual so that a plus! Everything so far is great. I hooked everything up. Ran the full auto mcacc. Everything checked out correctly. However the problem I'm having is with the xbox 360. BTW my visio tv is widescreen does support 1080p (as well as 1080i 720p and 420p as I manually set the xbox to these displays and they worked). I dont have the exact model of visio in front of me right now but if needed I can add it. The problem is I can get sound but no video via HDMI connections. Below is the current scheme I tried.

1. Kuro turned off on reciever.
  2. Hdmi output set to all (have also tried hdmi OUT 2 only) in the receiver settings.
  3. Xbox hdmi out to hdmi input 1 on the receiver (not the BD hdmi)
  4. Receiver hdmi out 2 to hdmi input 1 on tv.
  5. Same NEW cables (make and model) for both connection 6ft 10.2 GBPS.

I get sound no problem however video is a no go. If i hook up xbox to tv everything works. I also get the on screen settings via the receiver so i know the connection from receiver to tv works. So IMO this rules out bad cables. I've tried switching between inputs on tv and as well as playing musical input/output on the receiver. As well as switching hdmi out to 1, 2, and all on receiver. Nothing seems to work. Now typically I get "no signal" on tv, however while monkeying around i got a "not supported" as well last night (dont exactly recall what the setup was at that point). I've also noticed that the xbox will auto the output video setting. So for instance it goes to (i memorized the menu on the xbox so i could edit it while there was no picture) hdmi 1080p widescreen while connected to tv. I then hooked it up to the receiver and then had it auto adjust in the xbox menu settings then unplugged it and back into tv. The video came up and set it went auto to 1080p no widescreen. So it looks like when its hooked to the receiver it doesn't do the widescreen output. However I have a widescreen tv. Is it possible the receiver can't take the 1080p signal for xbox and then adjust it to widescreen for my tv? Cause like I said I got the "not supported" at one point when I power cycled in this order:

1. receiver on
  2. xbox on
  3. tv on

The idea was that once the receiver was on the xbox would auto to what the receiver needed, then once i turned the tv on the receiver should convert that to what the tv supports. I tried a few other sequences and either got "no signal" or "not supported". I'm going to try, receiver on, tv on, xbox on tonight. Maybe that would work better idk. Just shooting from the hip.

I'm sorry about all my rambling I just wanted to make sure whoever reads this would have the most info as to what I've attempted to do. Thanks in advance for any help. Currently I have the xbox to the tv via hdmi then the audio out from the tv to the receiver which isnt' what I want in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Bump. Still haven't been able to fix this problem.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hi whitewolfpgh, on the Xbox try to disable "Display Discovery".

Console Settings -> Display -> (scroll down) Display Discovery
post #4 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Reverse the POWER On sequence:
1. Display
2. AVR
3. Source

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #5 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I will try these suggestions tonight. See how it goes.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi whitewolfpgh, on the Xbox try to disable "Display Discovery".

Console Settings -> Display -> (scroll down) Display Discovery

+1 This will do the trick. I had the same issue a couple of years ago with the 360, my LG TV and my Pioneer vsx919. I switched display discovery off and was good to go. The PS3 had no such issue.

Of course, when I called Microsoft, they were clueless and of no help.

post #7 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

My only concern is that when I was last in those settings I remember there being an option for every video setting (480,720,1080i,1080p), and an auto setting. But no option to disable it. Of course I wasn't completely clear headed when I was trying different things so I'll have to go back and double check. Also came across a thread about resetting the display settings. I might try that as well if the above doesn't work. Its one of the last posts on this thread: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/7/t/320429.aspx?PageIndex=1
post #8 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Reverse the POWER On sequence:
1. Display
2. AVR
3. Source

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

Also, it always amazes me how particular powering on sequences have to be even in 2013. eek.gif
post #9 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Alright the display discovery trick worked. Having turned that off and set the output to the 360 to 1080p its now working. However, how do I hook it up so i also get sound out of the tv. Currently with only using the hdmi cables the sound only plays through the receiver speakers. I was fond of using the tv as pseudo center speaker. The only audio options i have for the hdmi is to use it as an 'amp' or 'through' which through sends all sound to tv and amp only through receiver speakers. My tv has an audio in L & R. Is there an output on the receiver that should be connected here? Thanks again guys so far so good.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Xbox audio adapter and RCA audio cables. Plug cables from adaptor to Tv audio In L & R.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Haha well that is a solution thank you. I was hoping more on the lines of a way to output the audio from the receiver back into the tv frown.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Well another option (which you may not like) would be to connect Xbox HDMI directly to Tv and an optical cable from Xbox to receiver.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ya thats a viable option and is what i was dealing with before. However I was experiencing some delay in sound. As in the tv output was faster than the output from receiver. I was using RCA cables at the time. Do you think optical would work better? Maybe ill just need ot invest in a center speaker :P
post #14 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolfpgh View Post

Maybe ill just need ot invest in a center speaker :P

That's what I would do smile.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone. The final solution was to turn off discovery. I also powered them on in the correct order as well so not sure which one really fixed the issue, because I'mnot going to fool with it again lol.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolfpgh View Post

Also, it always amazes me how particular powering on sequences have to be even in 2013. eek.gif

It has to do with the handshake exchange required between the components when using HDMI..
If 1 component sends a command and if the receiving component is OFF and not ready, it doesn't know what to do..
Later HDMI products are much better for this spec, kinda like USB Plug & Play in the early days..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx23 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Xbox 360 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page