Weird Setup Help - Receiver and 4.2 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I have a really weird setup that I have been using for about 3 months now...

What I want to do is hookup a receiver to my powered speaker setup but don't want to risk ruining anything... First I'll try to explain my setup then what I want to do. Basically I had all the adapters and speakers so i really didn't spend any money to do this. That was the point.

I have a Vinyl Record player hooked up to 2, yes 2, 2.1 creative computer speaker systems also with a splitter to connect a phone or iPod as well.

When using the record player I come out of the record players red and white to a volume adapter red and white. Reason being with separate volume controls on each 2.1 setup I didn't want to have to try to find the unity volume. So I set both setups at a good level really loud and use the volume control adapter to adjust the overall volume.

From the red and white off the record player I have another adapter that's red and white to a 3.5mm end to run to the computer speakers for sound. I then split that with a 3.5mm dual adapter to connect both computer speaker setups.

If I'm not using the record player I switch my connectors and bypass the record player and volume control by using a phone or iPod for a digital connection running through the same speaker setup. Its really easy to do.The volume is then controlled from the phone or iPod or other 3.5 mm source.

So basically on one side of my basement i have 2.1 and the other side 2.1. All in all its sounds amazingly great! Both subs are almost all the way down so I can crank it and its not too much bass.

When I use the record player it seems to distort when going loud. When I plug in my phone without using the record player connected to the volume control, it can go much louder without distorting. I'm almost positive its the the record player since it distorts that loud even without the volume control adapter. There's really no amp involved. Its fine for now and does the job. But I want to be able to go louder with the record player without distorting. First question by this setup alone can I damage anything? I would think not.

Here's where my question comes in... I'm looking at getting a mini Leapai ta2020 20 watt power amp to try for the record player. The power amp is 20w but both speakers are way more maybe like 40w or 60w each... So its not like it would be pushing more power than what the speakers can handle.

Is there any potential to ruin the speakers, record player or amp by doing this?

So I would replace the volume adapter with the little power amp and run the red and white from the amp to the red and white that converts to the 3.5mm connector to the speakers and sub in hopes to get more power to push louder without distorting.

What do you think? Can I potentially damage any hardware or anything by doing this? Need better explaining? I know its a weird setup but it sounds great and didn't cost much at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Initially you indicated adding a "receiver" but then only referred to adding an "amp" confused.gif As the speakers are powered, there is no need to add the "amp" and if you use a "receiver" it would have to have main zone "pre-outs".

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah it would be a receiver... I meant the receiver as the amp. Would it harm anything by adding it to powered speakers? If not, Would I get any more power or loudness without clipping? The receiver only has the regular red and white outputs, mains I guess they would be.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM
585-645-1006

Yes, it would hurt using the speaker posts. If the red/white outputs are indeed main zone "pre-outs" then yes, you can use those. If they are Zone 2 pre-outs, you could use those as well but then likely limited to only using analog source. What model receiver are you referencing?

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Its the lepai tripath ta2020.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003P534SW
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 AM
585-645-1006

So then no pre-outs, and therefore, no, you would not want to use it as it is designed to be used with "passive" speakers not powered speakers.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ok great. Thank you so much. I won't buy this and just keep the setup as is for now. Appreciate the help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page