I need basic Denon 2087 help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend just gave me his Denon 2087. I'm a very basic a/v dude and am trying to connect the following simple set-up:

1. Samsung tv
2. Technics turntable
3. Two speakers
4. Center speaker
5. Apple TV
6. Simple, old Sony dvd player

Here are my problems:

1. The remote only works for its Power button and to select the setting on receiver (ie: phone, TV, etc.)

2. My center speaker worked last night when I hooked it up, but after pressing a series of who knows what buttons last night after setting things up, the center doesn't work today. Last night, the center worked for my turntable (phono) but not for Apple TV (which is why I hit a bunch of buttons like a bozo in the dark).

All my speaker cable connections are in tact.

3. My biggest pain is that I can't control the Volume from the remote. Drives me nuts.

I'm not techie, just want it to work. Any thoughts for a simpleton?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I bought a used 2807 a few weeks ago. That's a difficult remote to navigate, one of the worst ever. You're gonna need a lot of help to understand that receiver, its a good one though. Unfortunately the receiver is now at my fathers house 100+ miles away.

Why are you using the center channel for a turntable? Turntable is for stereo audio and you should be using it in stereo (left and right speakers) with no sound from the center. Do you have the manual for the receiver? You'll really need it.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/033/033AV2807B.PDF

Just for quick starters you need to press one of the AMP keys. That assures you the remote is in receiver mode and you can change the volume. I circled them.

Then press one of the blue buttons to get the sound mode you want. If you want. The DSP button will give you stereo across all of your speakers. it should say 7 channel stereo. You may have to press the button several times to get the mode you want. You can press the Cinema or Music buttons if you want the voices to come primary from the center channel. That's fine for Apple TV or DVD, but really doesn't make sense for music.

You should really get in touch with your friend to help you understand that receiver.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Afro: Thanks for your help and suggestions. I didn't have the manual, but now, thanks to you, I do. I've followed the directions you kindly gave along with the picture of the remote. I've got the different sound settings to work, and what a difference there is depending on the production of each song. Crazy.

I didn't know about the center speaker not being nec. for the turntable. I'm playing music now from my apple tv, and it only goes through the L/R speakers. Sounds good enough.

But I'll want the center to work when I play a movie, etc.

And here's a good one: I was using the 'TUNING/TV VOL' button for the stereo volume. Whoops!

Thanks again!
post #4 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was gonna suggest not to use the TV Vol buttons but I figured you knew that....:tongue.gif

Afro GT
post #5 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Gotta another question: watching my directv, I'm not getting any audio through my speakers (only on the tv itself).

I'm pretty sure I have all the cables input correctly since I basically shadowed what I did with the old Sony receiver I changed out.

What buttons do you hit on the remote to get audio for the TV? Any ideas?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How is your DirecTV box connected to the receiver? Sounds like you're going thru the TV first.

Afro GT
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Got it figured out (as far as the directv audio). Used your previous advice as a template: hit the AMP button then toyed around until I hit the yellow TV/VCR button which accessed audio onto the speakers including the center.

It will get interesting, however, when I cancel my directv this week (hence the Apple TV) and pray that the audio set-up isn't affected. I have a one cable HDMI hook-up from directv to the TV itself so it shouldn't be hard. I say that now.

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You're canceling your DirecTV? I don't see how people can do that. Obviously you're not much of a sports fan. If I didn't watch sports I'd be fine with a smaller TV.

Afro GT
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Got tired of having to call directv every few months to ask them to lower my bill. And my baseball team is out of the playoffs so I won't miss the sports much, although I'll be bummed to miss some of the playoffs...just not enough to justify spending all that money on directv for another month. Don't care about the NFL, so there's no loss there.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page