Need a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone, I just ordered LRC Sierra-1s along with a Rhythmik sub. I haven't decided on the rear speakers yet, but might get the smaller Ascends or try something different, like NHT speakers. I'm not too worried about that. But I do need a new receiver. My family room is 19x15x9.5. I'll have a 5.1 setup. 80% HT 20% music. I don't plan on getting a 2nd sub and only need one zone (family room). What do you guys recommend for my needs? I hear good things about Denon, Marantz and Yamaha. I hear that Denon and Marantz are very good, but hear that Yamaha gives better bang for the buck. I prefer to spend under $1000. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Cornell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 22
There are a lot of threads on each brand of amplifier, frankly at the $1000 price point you will find a number of excellent products. Short of a lot of experimentation, blind A/B tests, and spec sheet matching, how about just buying the AVR which weighs the most. Odds are it has the better amplifier stage.

And don't forget to make sure that it has pre-outs. Don't want to close the door on driving an external amp for your 5 main channels, now do you?

All that being said, look at Integra and expand you budget a bit. Personally, I run Yamaha.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/
Cornell 2013 likes this.

Theatre: Sony 46" LCD panel, Sony DBP-S550 Blu-ray, Yamaha RX-V2065 receiver,

Polk Audio Monitor 70 (L&R), CS10 (centre), M10 (surrounds), dual Velodyne VDR-12 subs

CKUA Radio since 1927 from Edmonton, Alberta - Supported by Listeners

post #3 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 02:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
In the 2013 Denon and Marantz series you can achieve your goal for well under your budget with the new Denon X2000 or its sister Marantz model the SR5008, both of which use Audyssey MultEQ XT. Review post #2 of the Denon AVR E/X Models thread (linked below) to determine if you want any of the additional features offered on either the higher models, X3000 or X4000. You can compare the Marantz features on the Marantz website.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134186
Cornell 2013 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Hi Cornell

Firstly, congratulations on a great choice there in the Ascend Sierra 1's and Rythmik combo. Which Rythmik did you order?

In addition to what jd noted above, you could also consider recently superseded Denon models. The Denon AVR-3313CI is last years equivalent of the current X4000 and can be found at keen prices. Here's an example. If you only intend to have a single sub, Audyssey MultEQ XT will do the job. If at some stage you might go to dual subs, an AVR with MultEQ XT32 + SubEQ HT, such as the X4000, would get the most of them.

Marantz tend to trade on their high-end reputation and nice looks, but for similar features and rated power you'll pay $100's less for the equivalent Denon sibling.

BTW, the Ascend CBM-170 SE's would be the ideal choice for surrounds. Also, with your size room there would be good value in going to rear speakers as well for a 7.1 set-up.
Cornell 2013 likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy View Post

There are a lot of threads on each brand of amplifier, frankly at the $1000 price point you will find a number of excellent products. Short of a lot of experimentation, blind A/B tests, and spec sheet matching, how about just buying the AVR which weighs the most. Odds are it has the better amplifier stage.

And don't forget to make sure that it has pre-outs. Don't want to close the door on driving an external amp for your 5 main channels, now do you?

All that being said, look at Integra and expand you budget a bit. Personally, I run Yamaha.

Thanks Trendy. I've never heard of that brand, but will check it out.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In the 2013 Denon and Marantz series you can achieve your goal for well under your budget with the new Denon X2000 or its sister Marantz model the SR5008, both of which use Audyssey MultEQ XT. Review post #2 of the Denon AVR E/X Models thread (linked below) to determine if you want any of the additional features offered on either the higher models, X3000 or X4000. You can compare the Marantz features on the Marantz website.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134186

Thanks jdsmoothie! This is the type of info I was hoping for. That's a very helpful link too!
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Hi Cornell

Firstly, congratulations on a great choice there in the Ascend Sierra 1's and Rythmik combo. Which Rythmik did you order?

In addition to what jd noted above, you could also consider recently superseded Denon models. The Denon AVR-3313CI is last years equivalent of the current X4000 and can be found at keen prices. Here's an example. If you only intend to have a single sub, Audyssey MultEQ XT will do the job. If at some stage you might go to dual subs, an AVR with MultEQ XT32 + SubEQ HT, such as the X4000, would get the most of them.

Marantz tend to trade on their high-end reputation and nice looks, but for similar features and rated power you'll pay $100's less for the equivalent Denon sibling.

BTW, the Ascend CBM-170 SE's would be the ideal choice for surrounds. Also, with your size room there would be good value in going to rear speakers as well for a 7.1 set-up.

Thanks GIEGAR! I ordered the FV15HP in black oak. But I just got an email today that told me they are on backorder until the end of Oct. Soooo... I might cancel that sub and go with SVS. I haven't decided yet... just got home so I'll decide tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion with the 3313CI. I like the idea! and like that it's discounted too. I don't need to have the latest, but last years equivalent is cool.

Just curious... what do you all think about refurbished units? Denon has a few on their site and so does accessories4less. Thanks...
post #8 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm ... I replied to Trendy and jdsmoothie and I got a message saying that my posts will be reviewed since I'm new. no problem. however, my third message went through already. So I just wanted to let the other posters know that I responded to theirs as well. Thanks guys!
post #9 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM

AVS just want to check you're not a 'bot! biggrin.gif Your posts will appear shortly.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

AVS just want to check you're not a 'bot! biggrin.gif Your posts will appear shortly.

They just popped up. hehe. Thanks...
post #11 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM

Liked: 11
If you can squeeze out a bit more (and if you can find one for that price). You should really look at the Sony 5800es. I just picked one up on Amazon (Like New), and it looked like the box was only opened to see if it would work. The Sony (to me) has better separation throughout the sound field. You can hear things clearer and more defined. I am coming from a Onkyo 818, Denon 4311, Pioneer 1522 (and to me), the Sony is the best of the bunch. I am running the front speakers off a Emotiva amp, and the rest of a 9.2 set up through the Sony. I also noticed that Sony's room correction worked better than Audyssey and Pioneer's (in my Great Room). It also blended in my two subs a bit better than the Audyssey. Audyssey seemed to "juice" the low end a bit too much for my taste. I also think music sounds more realistic (instruments and vocals are separated better).

I do like the 818, and it's being used in my Master Bedroom now. I was almost going to purchase another 818 off of Amazon "Deal of the Day" made the price very attractive, but decided to wait and hear the Sony. I am by no means an audiophile, so sorry if the descriptions are not spot on. I'm pretty sure you will be thrilled with whatever AVR you decide on.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell 2013 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy View Post

Thanks Trendy. I've never heard of that brand, but will check it out.

Integra is Onkyo's custom installer (CI) brand. As I understand it, Integra is generally only available in the US through CI distribution channels. They have a targetted product range that, except for the faceplate and some CI control interfaces, are pretty much identical to their Onkyo stablemates.
Cornell 2013 likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

If you can squeeze out a bit more (and if you can find one for that price). You should really look at the Sony 5800es. I just picked one up on Amazon (Like New), and it looked like the box was only opened to see if it would work. The Sony (to me) has better separation throughout the sound field. You can hear things clearer and more defined. I am coming from a Onkyo 818, Denon 4311, Pioneer 1522 (and to me), the Sony is the best of the bunch. I am running the front speakers off a Emotiva amp, and the rest of a 9.2 set up through the Sony. I also noticed that Sony's room correction worked better than Audyssey and Pioneer's (in my Great Room). It also blended in my two subs a bit better than the Audyssey. Audyssey seemed to "juice" the low end a bit too much for my taste. I also think music sounds more realistic (instruments and vocals are separated better).

I do like the 818, and it's being used in my Master Bedroom now. I was almost going to purchase another 818 off of Amazon "Deal of the Day" made the price very attractive, but decided to wait and hear the Sony. I am by no means an audiophile, so sorry if the descriptions are not spot on. I'm pretty sure you will be thrilled with whatever AVR you decide on.

Thanks. I currently have a Sony ES that I got many many years ago. I'll look into it again.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks GIEGAR! I ordered the FV15HP in black oak. But I just got an email today that told me they are on backorder until the end of Oct. Soooo... I might cancel that sub and go with SVS. I haven't decided yet... just got home so I'll decide tonight.
That is one killer sub! In the long run, it will be worth waiting for and I would sit tight. Many owners have experienced a wait due to the fact Rythmik is a small outfit. The designer and company owner (Brian Ding) personally assembles and tests every sub produced, so things can take time in periods of high demand. In any case, you will pay a lot more for an SVS sub to rival the output and accuracy of the Rythmik.

Perhaps another option could be to reply to the email and enquire about the availability of the F25 or (say) dual F15's instead.

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion with the 3313CI. I like the idea! and like that it's discounted too. I don't need to have the latest, but last years equivalent is cool.

Just curious... what do you all think about refurbished units? Denon has a few on their site and so does accessories4less. Thanks...
I've no direct experience, but personally I can't see a problem with them if they're Denon factory refurbished and carry the usual new product warranty. You could check by asking owners and gurus on the "official" thread of the particular model you're interested in.

You prompted me to check on A4L... WOW! they have had factory refurbed X4000's for only $100 more than the 3313CI I linked earlier. They're currently sold out, but I'd register for email updates while you're waiting for the Rythmik to show up. I can hardly believe how cheaply you fellas in the USA can get your hands on top notch electronics! smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page